Orange Vodka

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Orange Vodka

Postby bluc » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:35 pm

shouldn this be called orange brandy not vodka? everyone seems to be looking for flavour not neutrality :think:
Last edited by bluc on Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:59 am

You are 100% correct Bluc.

Definitely chasing the flavour. Has anybody done this before and did you just leave it to settle ( smooth out ) after distilling or did you put it on oak ?
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Nathan02 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:26 pm

Mine turned out a really fruity nose, but a bit dissapointing subtle flavour. Very nice flavour though. Had to dig into the heads a bit to find some fruitiness. Ive cut to 48% and left white. Hoping the flavour develops. Should be nice with some soda water ice and lemon or lime in the summer
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby Clickeral » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:40 pm

Wellsy wrote:You are 100% correct Bluc.

Definitely chasing the flavour. Has anybody done this before and did you just leave it to settle ( smooth out ) after distilling or did you put it on oak ?

I would call this more of a scnapps then a brandy tbh :p
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby Wellsy » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:07 pm

Ok I thought I had my head around this lol
Grain based equals whiskey. Fruit based equals brandy.
All bourbons are whiskeys but not all whiskey’s are bourbon
Is it the same that all schnapps are brandy, but not all brandy’s are schnapps or have I over simplified again.
Remember boys keep it simple for out in the the country.
Over to the b4a8ns trust to explain schnapps V Brandyplease lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Clickeral » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:04 am

Wellsy wrote:Ok I thought I had my head around this lol
Grain based equals whiskey. Fruit based equals brandy.
All bourbons are whiskeys but not all whiskey’s are bourbon
Is it the same that all schnapps are brandy, but not all brandy’s are schnapps or have I over simplified again.
Remember boys keep it simple for out in the the country.
Over to the b4a8ns trust to explain schnapps V Brandyplease lol

I think this was called a vodka originally as its more of a flavored vodka then anything due to the sugar base

Grain based only equals whiskey if you want the end product to be whiskey, ie grain based vodka is a different beast

Bourbon is whiskey but has to have corn in it to be called bourbon (minimum percent of corn) and technically made in certain states

Brandy is typically aged/made from certain fruit (apricots,plums,grape etc_

Schnapps is typically clear and un aged but has a wider range of fruit associated with it depending on where it originates from, pálinka which is hungarian Scnapps is made from any fruit that originated in Hungry

Slivovitz is plum/plum brandy only

:p
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby Wellsy » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:40 am

Thanks for the explanation. I might just call it all Booze lol.
Wellsy

Postby Dejay » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:36 pm

Well, this is exciting.
Have a tree full of mandarines.
Tomorrow I will get picking and juicing.
Will be keen to hear everyone's results.

Thanks guys.
Dejay

equipment: Ultimate Stainless Steel Complete 25l System with reflux Still.

Postby tacman1970 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:52 pm

Hey Wellsy, how did this end up? Have you tasted it yet?
I'm looking to get a simple citrus vodka happening for my wife and saw this thread. My original thought was just to macerate orange peel (no white pith) in 45% neutral (like in Odin's Easy Gin) and distill the result, but now your thread has me diving down the rabbit hole again!!!
:laughing-rolling:
tacman1970
Site Donor

equipment: modular 2" CCVM, on a 50l keg boiler
plus an airstill

Postby Wellsy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:01 pm

Hey Tacman
I have not tasted it again since I distilled it. Initially I was disappointed and was putting it all on oak for 12 months, but by the time I got to diluting it down, 2 days after doing cuts I changed my mind. It had a nice orange aftertaste. I will revisit it tomorrow mate and have a taste and let you know.
Wellsy

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:56 am

I was listening to the still it podcast the other day with the guy from Eastern Europe talking bout rakia which is their word for fruit brandy.

He leaves most of his fruit spirits white but said don’t touch them for a month to let them settle and marry :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Hawkeye

equipment: 4 inch, 4 bubble plate on a 50L keg with 500mm packed section.

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:36 am

Well I am glad I left some of it white as it has smoothed out nicely and only has a hint of orange when you sip it. Given it was only orange and sugar I thought it would have more orange flavour. It was orange pulp with no skins going into the ferment.
I guess if I added some skins I could chase the orangness
I will find a small bottle Tacman and organise myself and drop some in for you , well maybe your better half, to taste lol
I will give you a call once I get organised
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:01 pm

So far I've only used Oranges in my mulled orange brandy, basically go to the bottlo and grab 5 litres of cheap red wine then slice up a navel orange and use mulling herbs and remember when mulling NOT to over over 70C as we don't want to boil the alc off do we :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I strip it in my 5 litre pot still and off the low wines where I cheat a bit by adding some 90% nothing so the yield is boosted :laughing-rolling: I then have enough to do a spirit run. I add all the ingredients in the still too which I find adds to the flavour then after cuts it's decanted to 65% for a few months on French Oak. Done this 3 times now and a fourth batch will be going down soon as every gal that has sampled has said this is better than bought stuff :laughing-rolling: I also get a heap of brownie points from SWMBO who claimed the rights to this drop after giving me a batch of orange mulled wine.

What i have found with all of my fruit brandies just put them down @65% with some French Oak, add a date then put it away for 12 months or more. It does take that long for the fruit taste to come thru

So the famous quote of Hurry Up and Wait applies to doing any fruit brandies
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Professor Green » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:42 pm

Wellsy wrote:I guess if I added some skins I could chase the orangness

I would use the zest, not the whole skins Wellsy. The pith is useless but there's lots of good flavour in the zest.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Wellsy » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:14 pm

Thanks professor
Wellsy

Previous

Return to Recipe Development