Packing peanut boredom

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Packing peanut boredom

Postby Monkey Handler » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:24 am

Hi all,

Decided to do a little experiment out of shits and giggles and I guess, just boredom.
So I was flushing the starch packing peanuts down the sink when I thought, I wonder what if angel yellow label + these would equal anything. I figured, they're essentially just starch and air, so, let's see. Also, yes I know they're not 100% "food safe".
So I dissolved about 4 x 5L jugs (not much of a measurement I know, and there won't be much as this was a bit of a half assed experiment) worth of peanuts in regular ol tap water. Gave it a good mix up and poured it into a 5L demijohm. Added a sprinkle of epsom salts and a pinch of DAP (because) and adjusted ph down to about 5.5 (was around 7.5 before) with a pinch of citric acid. Added a teaspoon of angel yellow label. Woke up this morning aannndd... airlock activity.... fermenting away. Not at lightning pace, but, going regularly enough.
Where to from here? Don't know. It'll probably taste like ass (even worse maybe), I'm debating whether or not to actually run it to ser the end result. As for use, unless you get a lot of these regularly, or they're cheap as (I get them in deliveries from time to time, so csm be saved up), I'm not sure if it'd be worth it or not, which I suppose depends on the taste as well? If it tastes like garbage, I guess it could be used as fuel or what ever, rather than just flushing the starch.
As for proper measurements, I guess it's something that could be done another time if it's deemed worthwhile enough. So I guess we'll just see what we see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Monkey Handler on Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monkey Handler

equipment: T500 copper reflux. 2" Pelican Pot, 4" 5 plate glasser, 500mm packed section with all copper goodies.
30L and 58L keg boiler

Re: Packing peanut boredom

Postby bluc » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:45 pm

Distilled peanuts gotta be a first..
Right?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:46 pm

I see peanut butter whiskey in your future :D
Run it via pot or plates to get flavour first worst case reflux it. I remember someone trying Bunya nuts wonder how that ended up...
Last edited by bluc on Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:49 pm

Distilling peanuts is definitely a first.

Drinking result is definitely brave, that is really taking one for the team :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby howard » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:35 pm

oh no, PBW (peanut butter whiskey) will be a confusing acronym :smile:
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby Monkey Handler » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:11 pm

I feel I may have opened a can of worms here :laughing-rolling:
As for a first distilling it, I think I may be. As for fermenting with it, when I initially did some research on it, I saw some guy from the states adding 5% of these dissolvable packing peanuts to his beer brew, I'd assume to bulk it out. This however is exclusively packing peanuts, so :think: .
Wellp, you guys and the Mrs have talked me into running it when it's done (she said if you're going to experiment may as well go all the way). So I'll run it through my 2" pot. If it goes to shit, I'll throw the end result in next time I run neutral through the bubbler, or worst case just turf it.
Funnily enough, having a look through google, these bastards are pretty cheap. Saw a 400L bag for sale for $33. As for how much fermentable sugar that'd convert to, I've got no idea where I'd even start to work it out.
Any ideas?
Monkey Handler

equipment: T500 copper reflux. 2" Pelican Pot, 4" 5 plate glasser, 500mm packed section with all copper goodies.
30L and 58L keg boiler

Postby Monkey Handler » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:14 pm

Also, day 2:
Even though I accidentally left it in the cold laundry overnight, still bubbling away.
Monkey Handler

30L and 58L keg boiler

Postby The Stig » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:49 pm

Are these things even food ??????
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:09 pm

Just had a chat with SWMBO and honestly you would be better off getting some bog paper and using that instead, either way if one starts with a turd no matter how much you try and polish it it's not a hard answer to find what it still is :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Edit: after talking a bit more when I mentioned the bog paper she said well you get more flavour out of it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Monkey Handler » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:15 pm

The Stig wrote:Are these things even food ??????

Well, depends on what you call food :laughing-rolling:
They're safe to "eat" if you or your animals were to consume them, as opposed to the polystyrene ones. But, they taste like, well, nothing, maybe bordering of ass. As it's just starch and air.
Monkey Handler

30L and 58L keg boiler

Postby Monkey Handler » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:25 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Just had a chat with SWMBO and honestly you would be better off getting some bog paper and using that instead, either way if one starts with a turd no matter how much you try and polish it it's not a hard answer to find what it still is :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Edit: after talking a bit more when I mentioned the bog paper she said well you get more flavour out of it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

:laughing-rolling:
Oh don't worry. I'm not expecting anything good to come of this. To be honest, the thought only came about from me thinking was there any other possible use for these other than flushing them down the sink(as I was) or compost.
If it results in something half palatable, even as a neutral, then eh, atleast it'll beat turbos and likely be cheaper. If not, maybe it can be used as fuel or what ever, if it's cheap enough.
But, that's all unlikely :razz:
Monkey Handler

30L and 58L keg boiler

Return to Recipe Development