spiced rum recipe

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

spiced rum recipe

Postby amaizing » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:50 am

this recipe makes 10 litres 40%

6 kilos raw sugar
2 kilos rich dark brown sugar
turbo 48 yeast
25 litres pure water (not straight from tap)

ferment that then run through your still ive got a little euro style 5 litre reflux that seems to retain some flavor from wash.
then water it down 65% using water not from tap this is important as the chemicals they put in our drinking water to make it "safe" to drink will change flavour
put on carbon, after its been filtered off the carbon put into container big enough for the lot, i use a dextrose bucket from the brew shop its food safe and only cost $5.
put in the following

1 packet rum chips of your choosing
1 bottle prestige brown western rum essence
1 fresh vanilla bean cut legnthways
leave for one month

i use the prestige essence even though it only is supposed to make 700 ml, it bonds nicely with the rum chips.
at the end of the one month period add 1 cinnamon stick and two pinches of freshly grated nutmeg seal the container again shake and leave for a day check flavour, if not to your liking you could leave for more time or add some more spice. just remember it is easy to add not easy to remove.
cinnamon and nutmeg are strong flavours leaving them in to long or adding too much can easily ruin the rum.

feel free to manipulate this recipe as im sure you will :handgestures-thumbupleft:
amaizing

equipment: 5 litre pot

Re: spiced rum recipe

Postby amaizing » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:56 am

Common ingredients:

Vanilla Bean.
Far and away the most common additive we use is the Vanilla Bean, and the fresher the better. Of course, the freshest and much less expensive vanilla beans are available in Caribbean open air markets, but those available in the states will do as well. They just take a little while longer to work their magic. For a rum that needs a little smoothing, try dropping one half of a fresh vanilla bean in. Slice a vanilla bean crosswise then split the bean lengthwise down the center to open it up and fully expose the inside of the bean to the rum. (Reserve the other half of the bean for future use.) Let the rum sit for 2-3 days with a fresh bean, or 5-7 days if the bean is dry. Try a small sip of the rum, and remove the bean when the rum is flavored to your liking. Substitute pure Vanilla extract liquid if you cannot find a Vanilla bean, but we don’t recommend it, and for sure stay away from the imitation stuff.

Cinnamon.
The next level up is to use a cinnamon stick inserted into the rum bottle. Just drop the stick in and let it sit. Check for flavor daily. The cinnamon imparts much of its flavor in the first several minutes; deeper flavors can be developed with prolonged emulsion. You can even leave the stick in the bottle until the rum is gone, as the cinnamon will eventually release all of its flavor. One note of caution on cinnamon is that it can dominate all other flavors, so use it smartly.

Clove.
Cloves are a rapid, powerful way to spice a rum. Be careful, because just one little clove will impart a terrific amount of spice to a bottle full of rum. Taste the rum within one day of inserting a clove, then remove the clove or leave it in for longer, depending on your taste and what you are trying to achieve with the spicing.

Star Anise.
Star anise is commonly used in spiced rums. It imparts a black licorice flavor to rum. Though not commonly used alone a few star anise fruits can really add alot to a spiced rum recipe. Star anise is the industrial source of shikimic acid, a primary ingredient used to create the anti-flu drug Tamiflu. Tamiflu is regarded as the most promising drug to mitigate the severity of bird flu (H5N1). So add some star anise and drink to your health!

Nutmeg and Mace.
Ah, the little nutmeg, signature spice of Grenada, the perfect topping for any rum punch or eggnog. Add a little pinch of fresh ground nutmeg to put character and spice into a bland rum, or to add another dimension to hot alcoholic-tasting rums. Mace, the red skin covering the nutmeg shell, also adds an interesting flavor. Both fresh nutmeg and mace are widely available throughout the Caribbean. But be warned: a little goes a long way.

Allspiceand Allspice Leaves
Allspice is a spice which is the dried unripe fruit of the Pimenta dioica plant. The name "allspice" was coined by the English, who thought it combined the flavor of several spices, such as cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Columbus discovered allspice in the Caribbean and brought it back to Spain. The dried fruit are ground up or stored whole. Fresh leaves are also used and are similar in texture to bay leaves but should be used fresh as it looses flavor when dried.
amaizing

Postby Linny » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:17 am

Well With my McRum down aging , ive always wanted to do a spiced rum... A guy at work has had success with essence dark rums and spicing them afterwards. His recipe goes along these lines:

1 vanilla bean pod, split in half
1 slice of orange peel, about 3 inches long
1 cinnamon stick
3 whole allspice berries
3 whole cloves
4 whole black peppercorns
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

So im going to play with this like Empty's Southern Comfort, probably 2 Litres , and ill judge by time ... ill let you know my results :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Linny » Tue May 14, 2013 6:40 am

well l finally put a spiced rum down I ditched the peppercorns and allspice berries and added star of Annise . all was going well after 3 days and l removed the Cloves and annise . l then got sick :handgestures-thumbdown: and couldn't Keep a eye on it , had a look after 7 days all I can smell is ORANGE! :angry-banghead:
Linny

Postby blond.chap » Tue May 14, 2013 10:09 am

Nice idea mate, I've got quite a lot of rum sitting around and it is time to change it up a bit.

The few things I'd change in the recipe:
- Replace turbo yeast with bakers or something like S04
- Store in something glass, steel or oak (rather than a plastic bucket)
- Don't bother with the carbon filter (only needed if you use turbo yeast)

Your mate's recipe sounds alright Linny, may give that a shot.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Linny » Wed May 15, 2013 9:41 pm

well finally having a taste testing now , i can say that im pleasantly suprised. For those that read this in the future heres what i did .... first off i made a macstill rum viewtopic.php?f=32&t=30, aged it on dominoes for about 5-7 weeks @ 65% (could go longer but it still taste great). :handgestures-thumbupleft:
watered it down to 38% with filtered water. I then took 2L @ 38% and added :

1 vanilla bean pod, split in half
1 slice of orange peel, about 2 inches long ( with the white skin removed - makes it bitter )
1 cinnamon stick
3 points of Star of Anise
3 whole cloves
1 teaspoon of Sugar
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

After 3 days I removed the Star Anise and Cloves. After the 7th day i removed the orange peel ( could have dont this a little ealier ) After 10 days i bottled it using a funnel and a coffee filter to remove all the smaller particles. Pretty sure this will get moved to Tried and tested after a few people have tried it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

Postby Brendan » Wed May 15, 2013 9:54 pm

Good job Linny, sounds like a top drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Linny » Thu May 16, 2013 5:50 am

Yeah , its not overlly complex but its still delicious. I wouldnt use anymore than 1 teaspoon of sugar...but you can tell it needs a little bit
Linny

Postby choppy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:29 pm

I made this as per Linny's revised recipe.
I used some macrum oaked for 2 months, drank it with a mate who loved spiced rum ( I'm more a rum and coke drinker)
We drank it on ice with a dash of water and a dash of ginger ale, probably a 50/50 mix of spirit/mixer.
As soon as I got home today I made up another 2 litres to see in the new year!
Have anyone else tried this recipe? I reckon it's good enough to go into T&P
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Linny » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:56 pm

I think i found it too intense flavours, i ended up using those figures in 4L ... much more to my personal taste's
Linny

Postby bt1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:28 am

I think i found it too intense flavours, i ended up using those figures in 4L ... much more to my personal taste's

:text-+1:

Did a version when I put bitters down as ingredients are all there.

It's a great finishing the night off drink. Seems to enhance the sugar in coke so swapped to Coke Zero/one third soda seems a better match in summer.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby amaizing » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:52 pm

I pulled a bottle of mine out at chrissy sooooo good it was brewed when i first posted this.

As for orange and rum i did one once where i used five or so large oranges in the fermenter no rind, i couldnt keep any in the cupboard the fam loved it. :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
amaizing

Postby DaveZ » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:18 pm

I follow your recipe Linny and love it. Just realised though that I haven't been putting the sugar in. Does it make a lot of difference? Or seeing as I usually drink it with coke would I not notice?

Cheers,
Dave.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby Linny » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:34 pm

I didn't do it either last time and it tasted pretty good
Linny

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:08 am

Might put this one in tried and proven, I found a bottle of it the other night that I made a couple of months back... Wow.

Seems to be a few guys using it and liking it, I'll get it into T&P tonight. Good stuff Linny!

EDIT; Linny's recipe, I mean, not the essence + vanilla one ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby choppy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:22 am

This recipe from Linny, straight up, makes a really good spiced rum.

One of the things I like best about this recipe is it's adaptability, you can change the flavour profile to match your tastes quiet easily.

In an earlier post Linny felt the flavours were too strong for 2 litres, and said that he now uses the same spice quantities, but in 4 litres. I like the spice flavours so I went with 3 litres - seems a happy medium.

The last batch I made, I used Macrum which had been oaked for 3 months, I used a blend of late heads/early tails.

I've said this before Linny, but well done on this recipe mate, I love this drink on ice with a dash of soda water or dry ginger.
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:23 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Might put this one in tried and proven, I found a bottle of it the other night that I made a couple of months back... Wow.

Seems to be a few guys using it and liking it, I'll get it into T&P tonight. Good stuff Linny!

EDIT; Linny's recipe, I mean, not the essence + vanilla one ;-)

:text-+1: From me
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby bluc » Wed May 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Just made up a litre of linnys will give it a whirl on weekend.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Linny » Fri May 20, 2016 6:40 pm

thanks guys , just reminded me to pull my finger out and put my own batch down again
Linny

Postby bluc » Sat May 21, 2016 3:03 pm

Tasted mine yesterday was ok but not great. So I added 6 sultanas and left for 24 hrs. I strained it and just had a glass and am loving it. I also added a small pinch of ginger on day 1 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Next

Return to Recipe Development