Single Malt Oat Whiskey

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Single Malt Oat Whiskey

Postby crow » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:29 pm

It will happen soon as I get the time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Linny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:33 pm

I might beat you to it ,,, if all goes well bubbler will be finished in 2 weeks... i spose now is the time to put a mash down... was going to put a rum down on the bubbler... but im pretty sure i have been swayed ... thanks CROW :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby crow » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:45 pm

yeah I got a sugar head ready to run (nearly talked myself in to running it today might do a mash to night seeing I need another rum fermentor now :angry-banghead:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Linny » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:37 pm

well i know its not a single malt , but i spose ive been experimenting here ,,,, after being pretty happy with my last batch, thought i would try to improve it a bit and slightly different technique http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=24312 ... Everything can be found at the supermarket and im going :

2.25kg Rolled Oats
1kg Pearl Barley
1.5kg Raw sugar
18L Batch again

just little things i found last time like i had alot of trouble with scorching ,,,, so im soaking my batch first for 24 hours hoping that it can suspend in the water better. then mashing at 60*C(20min-gelatinize) , 63*C(90min-beta) & 74*C(alpha-30min) with bread improver. Im not looking for massive amounts as i am still drinking my original Oat whiskey, but i want to do smaller batches till im really happy....

Oh and this time im running it through a bubbler and not a 2" Pot.... Wish me luck :handgestures-thumbupleft: will post the results :dance:
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby washington » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:01 am

Hey Crow, any news on the single malt oat? Whats your current recipe/procedure now that you've played with it a bit? I'm very interested in trying it, and I want to use 100% malted oats since you mentioned it.

Thanks!

wash
washington

equipment: nothing finished yet!

Postby washington » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:00 pm

Hey friends,

You lot probably already knew it, but I found these mashing notes from another topic of crow's at homedistiller. I'm looking forward to giving it a go!

"Ok got my notes here had to convert all this back, just not use to Imperial measurements anymore
got it up to 113 fh and let it rest from there down to 104' for around 3/4 hr , this was my Beta Glucanase rest then stepped it upto 129' and rested it between that and 122' for 1 hr, that was my Protease rest. Ok next I heated it to 153 and rested it for 1hr between that and 143' this was the Beta Amylase rest . Ok for most of them that was it but the first couple I did an Alpha Amylase rest also for an hr at 161' , I dropped this rest after that so as to not denature the Beta Amylase enzyme, I can't really say that was a good move or not but it was the advise I was given by some, both ways seemed to work and one less rest is less work I spect"

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... c&start=48

Wash
washington

equipment: nothing finished yet!

Postby crow » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:01 pm

Yeah mate pretty much as per in this thread. I did use some rolled oats as adjucts so some will say its not technically a single malt but hell ever heard of a single grain malt whiskey, me neither :laughing-rolling: as far as using the Alpha amylase rest or not hmm jury is out on that and I wouldn't really like to advise anyone either way . Best to try it both ways and see what gets you a better yield. Oh am I mentioned using some sugar but if you get a good conversion I really wouldn't bother, if you're in some doubt then add it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Postby crow » Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 pm

Well I have mentioned my piggyback method I use from this finished mash a few times so here is a link to my method :handgestures-thumbupleft:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2573&hilit=oat+whiskey
crow

Postby Petulance » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Crow,

I'm very interested in the single malt oat whiskey (spelled with or without the "e")

Can you detail in one last post what your quantities were, and what rest temperatures and times you would recommend for the mashing process?

Anzac flavoured whiskey...... I love it without even tasting it!!!
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby crow » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:30 pm

75 ltr fermenter
12 kg oats : lately I've been using 8 kg malted oats two 4 kg of rolled oats (the malt has to be grist/milled)
Steps and rests
44' for 1/2 hr
54' for 1/2 hr
62' for 1/2 hr
68' for 1/2 hr
The last rest is the Alpha amylase rest. This needs to between 71' and 72' any hotter will mash out and denature this important enzyme also including this rest will of course denature the proceeding Beta amylase enzyme but if the mash went well that really shouldn't matter. BA converts starch to long chain sugars and AA breaks them down to short chain (fermentable sugars), this will slowly happen if you don't use this final rest but it may take quite along time to convert and ferment so I have come to the conclusion that a rest at 71 degrees is not a bad idea but taste it to make sure the BA has done its job (you can use the iodine test if not using the rolled oats otherwise it seems to be a bit inconclusive) . the low carb beer enzymes you can get from the HBS really help with drying out the ferment, copper tun is quite cheap and you put this in at pitching temp :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Postby Petulance » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks Crow...

It's time to give this recipe a crack.

I'll start my malting tomorrow and we'll see how we go. More posts to follow.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Lowdown » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:03 am

Hi guys, I'm really interested in this recipe, do you think this could be used? https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beer/grains-and-malts/bairds-malt-oat-malt
Lowdown

equipment: 2" pot still & 2" boka
Keg boiler

Postby crow » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:04 am

yes it would be no worries I would think :handgestures-thumbupleft:
That is a better price than I ever found
crow

Postby Lowdown » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:46 pm

Great, thanks Crow, can't wait to give this one a crack.
Lowdown

equipment: 2" pot still & 2" boka
Keg boiler

Previous

Return to Recipe Development