Rum Mollasses wash

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Rum Mollasses wash

Postby reknaw » Wed May 04, 2011 6:51 pm

I had the last of my mollasses down stairs and to be honest I wanted to get rid of it to make some room.

I had the warm water from a still run put that into the fermenter, added about 11 ltrs of mollasses and about 8 kg of sugar to make a total of about 60 ltr.

It started off a bit slow and then went crazy.

Another wash is about 20 ltrs of mollasses and water to bring it up to 60 ltrs added yeast and it has gone crazy as well. I am thinking when I do more rum of just doing straight mollasses with no sugar. I am thinking it'll make for a heavier tasting rum. Also have to have a chat with rumby, I know he adds a litte mollasses to his rum and I was reading a bit about Jamacan rum how they add a little caramel to give it more colour and make it a little sweeter.
reknaw

Re: Rum Mollasses wash

Postby MacStill » Wed May 04, 2011 7:26 pm

I just put a straight molasses wash on last night, used the yeast bomb and a few other steps from Pint's fast ferment rum wash and this thing is fucken nuts.

Went out to check it this morning and oh fuck! brown sticky shit has spewed out everywhere, up the fucken wall and all over the joint.... so fuck it, I'll try clean up tomorrow :oops: :oops: :oops:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby reknaw » Wed May 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Better you than me :lol: That'll dry rock hard...
reknaw

Postby QLD.Andy » Wed May 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Hope the ants dont find it :arrow: messy
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby MacStill » Wed May 04, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm not looking forward to cleaning it up, I live in the ant capital of the world....... :roll: little fuckers are onto everything :evil:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Thu May 05, 2011 4:59 am

I found the secret to my rum using mollasses, backset and raw sugar is to leave it for long ageing on few sticks, Longer the better to get that true taste.

Other than that, leave the fruit and caramel to the yanks if you're a bundy boy ;)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Thu May 05, 2011 7:42 am

Yeah I agree 5Star, I dont add anything to my rum but time and charred oak...... tried the fruit n pepper corns a while ago and dont bother now
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby reknaw » Thu May 05, 2011 7:45 pm

The problem I have had is it dowsn't get the time to age :oops: I've now got a lot of rum bottles I just need to fill them and put them on the shelf. Has anyone managed to age something for over 12 months or two years? Two years is my aim but I'm not sure if I'll ever get there.
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Thu May 05, 2011 8:46 pm

This wash has done fermenting in a day and a half :shock:

I'm going to run it satdy night when Andy is here and let him be the judge ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby QLD.Andy » Fri May 06, 2011 7:52 am

McStill wrote:I'm going to run it satdy night when Andy is here and let him be the judge ;)

Oh dear, we're doomed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby MacStill » Fri May 06, 2011 6:46 pm

QLD.Andy wrote:
McStill wrote:I'm going to run it satdy night when Andy is here and let him be the judge ;)

Oh dear, we're doomed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You might be if my dog dont like you ;)

Just be careful when you get to the gate, if the dog dont get ya sumptin else there has a habit of biting people and other things :lol: :shock: :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby reknaw » Fri May 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Mine hasn't finished yet but it has slowed right down, take some video of the run you do if you could please :D i.e how you operate the beast, how the heads transition to hearts (who am I kidding you'll probably both be to pissed to take video)
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Fri May 06, 2011 11:26 pm

Spud1700 wrote:Mine hasn't finished yet but it has slowed right down, take some video of the run you do if you could please :D i.e how you operate the beast, how the heads transition to hearts (who am I kidding you'll probably both be to pissed to take video)

How could you say such a thing, I'm responsible :lol:

Cant wait til I move in with 5Star, 20L of beer a week........ he's my idol now :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby rumby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Is twenty lites of mollasses with no raw sugar enough to do a 50l wash, looking for a really heavy rum (bundy). I still need some citirc acid or is there enough in the mollasses.

Love the smell of fermenting mollasses coming up the stairs.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14 pm

I've been using 7.5 L for a 30 L wash with great results, just about to bottle my first lot and it's pretty nice.

I wont be putting the recipe on the forum yet tho, I have to make sure it's repeatable.

But if you follow pint's rum recipe in the proven section , you'll do alright ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby reknaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Rumby,

I just used straight mollasses, yeast and water and it finished up fine. I am getting more mollases this week and am going to do straight mollasses runs now for awhile.
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:18 pm

Spud1700 wrote:Rumby,

I just used straight mollasses, yeast and water and it finished up fine. I am getting more mollases this week and am going to do straight mollasses runs now for awhile.

Do the yeast bomb and you'll be doing a strange dance :mrgreen: it goes off!!! :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby reknaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:26 pm

Yeah I did the yeast bomb in the past and it works great, I am getting to the stage now where I am a slack arse :oops:

I just throw the mollasses in warm water dissolve the mollasses as much as I can throw in the yeast and put the lid on loose and throw a couple of blankets over it, Then a couple of times over the next couple of days I shake the shit out of it :lol:

I know your last one finished a lot faster than mine but I am in no rush to run them ........
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Spud1700 wrote: I am a slack arse

:lol: AGREED :lol:

I'm at a stage where it takes longer to get around to running it than it takes to ferment it, but I think this has really improved my rum over the last few runs..... but on the other hand it's great to see something ferment to dry in 2 days :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Hey guys,
how did your all Mollasses wash go compared to your usual wash using the molasses and raw sugar?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Next

Return to Recipe Development