Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: MacWhisky

Postby Bushy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Your frustrations are understandable Mac, i couldn't imagine the questions you get asked.
However, this recipe of yours throws itself open for experimentation. Standing at the Caramalt shelf and theres amber, lager, pilsener, to name a few and the old brain starts to wonder. Then theres the never ending malt varietys. I won't even mention my generation experiments :-D
But right there on page one is the original recipe, the tried and true recipe. How we can raise the awareness of the original recipe? Make the tried and true one post and lock em? Be a bit harsh :violence-smack: Maybe a big arse banner saying no responsibility taken for yr taste buds if you veer from the original post.
I don't know. The thing is, everyone likes to talk about what they're doing with the recipe and the obvious spot is right there. Be a shame to change it, i reckon.
Carry on

Oh BTW, with all my variations i have yet to improve your recipe ^:)^
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Re: MacWhisky

Postby MacStill » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:19 pm

ok so now you want to drag this topic away even further ? :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Recipe Discussion

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:08 pm

I personally think that the 'tried and true' section should contain nothing but the original recipe, a 'how to run' guide and a 'this is what it should/will taste like. If people stick to that recipe, they won't have any problems.

If you want to discuss a variation on a T&T recipe, use the 'recipe discussion' forum... Easy?

Obviously just my opinion...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby 1 2many » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:58 pm

The problem is if the recipe is in tried and proven and we only discuss that recipe as is then the thread would soon die off.

I
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Kimbo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:38 pm

1 2many wrote:The problem is if the recipe is in tried and proven and we only discuss that recipe as is then the thread would soon die off.

I

Not really, the thread would still be there, uncluttered, where everyone could find it and easily read it ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:49 pm

^this is what I'm thinking... Lock and pin the threads after the first post, and only add to/change it if required... We'll develop recipes in the recipe development section :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Kimbo wrote:
1 2many wrote:The problem is if the recipe is in tried and proven and we only discuss that recipe as is then the thread would soon die off.

I

Not really, the thread would still be there, uncluttered, where everyone could find it and easily read it ;-)

Yeah spose your right , it would be a nice quick read :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Kimbo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:^this is what I'm thinking... Lock and pin the threads after the first post, and only add to/change it if required... We'll develop recipes in the recipe development section :)

That's pretty much how it's supposed to work :handgestures-thumbupleft: bar the locking of threads
We only do that when absolutely necessary ;-)
We would prefer if people just stick to the topic, if they feel the need to ask a different question, then they can start a new thread.

The whole reason we get bombarded with the same questions is coz noobs can't find the answers in cluttered threads ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby 1 2many » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:03 pm

Kimbo wrote:
Zak Griffin wrote:^this is what I'm thinking... Lock and pin the threads after the first post, and only add to/change it if required... We'll develop recipes in the recipe development section :)

That's pretty much how it's supposed to work :handgestures-thumbupleft: bar the locking of threads
We only do that when absolutely necessary ;-)
We would prefer if people just stick to the topic, if they feel the need to ask a different question, then they can start a new thread.

The whole reason we get bombarded with the same questions is coz noobs can't find the answers in cluttered threads ;-)

:text-+1: Goto agree with that, Hi five :)) :))
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Re: Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW)

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:47 am

With backset and generations is there a limit.
wynnum1

Postby Frothwizard » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:57 am

wynnum1 wrote:With backset and generations is there a limit.

It's generally accepted that 5 generations is best for flavor and that any done after that can result in yeast not firing or no noticeable difference in taste.

Having said that, I've never done more than 5 so I can't say that with absolute certainty.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby Linny » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:02 am

Bakers yeast doesnt really like to go psat five gens since the acidity drops really low and doesnt like to fire off , you will also notice longer fermentations times. this is where speciality distillers yeast really comes into its own.

the lemons are used to drop the acidity to about a ph of 5 since this is where most yeast like to work the best,
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:07 am

I'm no master distiller by any means, but I stick to 10-15% backset...

I'm at gen 6 of my current wash, and it's going strong... I'll probably pull the pin after gen 7 though, and start a new wash with the backset...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Dominator » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:11 am

Have you checked your SG? I would think you could use more sugar than that. 7kg in a 45L wash is only going to give a SG of 1006 and ferment out to 9.2% You could easily add another 2kg of sugar which will get you up to 1077 and 11.8%, which is still well within the limits of bakers yeast.

I continue using backset to keep the generations going however I usualy only run about 5 or 6 gens on one yeast bed, then I give the fermenter a clean and pitch some new yeast.

Have you been using brand name cornflakes or home brand stuff, the reason I ask is I have had a few attempts at a similar similar wash although I have been using half/half home brand corn flakes and wheat bix however I have found it to be a very slow ferment. Usually takes 2-3 weeks to ferment out.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:10 am

I tested the SG of gen 1, I think it was 1.08... I've since misplaced my hydrometer :handgestures-thumbdown:

I'll bang another 2kg in my next generation :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm using home brand cornflakes, I'll do my next batch with Kelloggs stuff and see if there's any difference... Mine is usually ready to run in 10 or 12 days though, including a couple of days to clear.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Bushy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:14 am

The trouble with putting the extra 2 kg of sugar in is that it will double yr ferment times. Better of with less abv and faster turnarounds. IMHO.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Linny » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:20 am

Yeah dont be fucking greedy DOM ! :laughing-rolling:
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Dominator » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:29 am

Maybe thats why mine take so long to ferment. I was putting 5kg of sugar in a 25L wash.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Frothwizard » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:38 am

I put 5kg in for 25L if it's a neutral, but with a few kg of grains in there I like to reduce that a bit. Seems to be the general consensus with CFW and UJSM alike.
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby bt1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:49 am

Howdy,

For rums I can accept the gen 5 comments but for sugar/grain head when did gen 5 as a limit become the norm? Doesn't get any real flavour till at least gen 3/4

Fuck I'll have to get rid of gen 8+ stuff I have in storage....not!

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development