Show us your Dunder pit

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Show us your Dunder pit

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Thought I'd start this to keep "stillwagons" thread clear .Here

Here's mine ,its several 10Liter pales .Last time I looked ,it had greenish white growth on it .Looked today and its a brownish growth. Only in One pale.
All the others are Fungus free except for one with a few specks of white mold
Adjustable RC 023.jpg

Heres a link to Kiwis Dunder Pit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Show us your Dunder pit

Postby Dominator » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:41 pm

I have very limited fermenting/distilling space at the moment. I have to use the laundry and it is a constant battle with the missus. I will be moving in about 5 weeks and will have a decent shed so will be able to set up a decent distillery. Then I really want to start work on a quality dunder pit. I will definitely add to this when I get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Re: Show us your Dunder pit

Postby Linny » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:09 pm

Can someone tell me how and why you would use a Dundee pit
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Linny wrote:Can someone tell me how and why you would use a Dundee pit

Nearly all the rum recipes use Dunder in them .Mac Rum ,Hook Rum,Pugi Rum etc.

Generally these recipes simply reuse a portion of Dunder straight from the still and let it cool and goes back into new ferment .It is sterilized Dunder.

If you keep Dunder for some time,it develops a mold ( bacteria) which is meant to cause an improved flavour profile when added to the ferment .I believe that it is added unsterilized .Now I have no experience with this other than having saved up some Dunder from several generations and letting them age for well over a year now .

I have only ever added sterilized Dunder as I'm a chicken shit and don't want to risk infecting a good wash :think: .

Apparently many Rum distilleries used Dunder pits ,thats where the Idea comes from.

"Stillwagon" started THIS thead about adding bacteria to a ferment .I think this is what he was referring to
Yummyrum

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:50 pm

Yummyrum wrote:
Linny wrote:Can someone tell me how and why you would use a Dundee pit

Nearly all the rum recipes use Dunder in them .Mac Rum ,Hook Rum,Pugi Rum etc.

Generally these recipes simply reuse a portion of Dunder straight from the still and let it cool and goes back into new ferment .It is sterilized Dunder.

If you keep Dunder for some time,it develops a mold ( bacteria) which is meant to cause an improved flavour profile when added to the ferment .I believe that it is added unsterilized .Now I have no experience with this other than having saved up some Dunder from several generations and letting them age for well over a year now .

I have only ever added sterilized Dunder as I'm a chicken shit and don't want to risk infecting a good wash :think: .

Apparently many Rum distilleries used Dunder pits ,thats where the Idea comes from.

"Stillwagon" started THIS thead about adding bacteria to a ferment .I think this is what he was referring to

Close, but I reckon you must be fucked in the head to add mouldy skanky shit to anything :handgestures-thumbdown:

I don't reckon the big boys would be using this for the intended purpose, they may use something similar and pass it off as this but whatever.

If rum is shit to start with why add more shit to it? must just be adding the aging time :laughing-rolling:

Anyway, did I mention I don't really like rum? :teasing-neener:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Yummyrum » Thu May 29, 2014 5:57 pm

Here's a couple I found today that are really funky :D .......two good reasons why I sterilize my Dunder :laughing-rolling:

Interestingly, a rat had chewed a hole in both of these lids (about an 1/8") and let the air in .
Dunder 001.jpg

Dunder 002.jpg

Mmmmmmmm..... :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

Postby SBB » Thu May 29, 2014 8:05 pm

Yummyrum wrote:I have only ever added sterilized Dunder as I'm a chicken shit and don't want to risk infecting a good wash

I always thought most people put some of the aged dunder from the dunder pit into the boiler with the wash, not into the fermenter with the wash. :think:
maybe you can do it both ways.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Yummyrum » Thu May 29, 2014 9:09 pm

Tell me more Salty. :handgestures-thumbupleft: I was unaware of this . Heard of Dunder in thumpers and obviously with the ferment ..

I only stick it in the fermenter as per everyone's recipes ,Hooks ,Pugi's ,Macs ..and all those others they are based on .
Is it done on the spirit Run ?

This stuff looks a bit too Funky 8-) ....I am used to a bit of white and brown but this greenish blue stuff doesn't look right . :handgestures-thumbdown:
Yummyrum

Postby MacStill » Thu May 29, 2014 9:16 pm

I'd water low wines down with it just before running through the still, I dont think I'd be fermenting with aged dunder as opposed to hot straight from the boiler ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Thu May 29, 2014 9:32 pm

MacStill wrote:I'd water low wines down with it just before running through the still,

Yeah what Mac said Yummy, or bung some in your wash. Personally Ive never used the stuff but one day will give it a whirl. From what Ive read , to do it properly the pit has to go through a quite a few bacterial/ mold changes and it can take a while. Different molds take over from others as time goes by, its the last stage of this process that you want. From some of what Ive read it appears you don't need to use a lot of the stuff to make a fair difference to the final product.
Shall snoop around and see if I can find you a link or two.

EDIT: Try here and here
There is more out there on the subject if you hunt around a bit. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Yummyrum » Thu May 29, 2014 10:50 pm

SBB wrote: Different molds take over from others as time goes by, its the last stage of this process that you want.

That's what I thought I'd read too ....there's the white stuff ...then the brown stuff .Stuff I have is over a year old ,Just sounds like I've been doing the wrong stuff with it .LOL

Edit just seen your links ,yeah ,thats the stuff I read that got me into starting this filth pit ...thanks Salty
Yummyrum

Postby res » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:32 pm

Just started my first pit with a very modest amount of dunder left over from my first ever rum, it's been in the fridge for a while but now will hopefully funk up nicely.
dunder pit.jpg

I'm going to do a proper run of generational rum in the next few months, just wondering how much dunder you guys are keeping. Is a wheelie bin to much? :music-deathmetal:
Looks like this pit wont be ready for that batch but I'm keen to build it up and let it mature for the next, and hopefully if this small amounts starts growing it will serve as a starter to the fresh dunder to come.

One last thing hows the smell? If I do go big could I keep it near the fence without the neighbors cracking it? b-(
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:50 pm

Res ..that looks likes the yeast slops from thr fermenter you have there ..Dunder is the stuff left in the still when you have finished.

I dn't think its offensive to smell andwhen the lids on heres no smell
Yummyrum

Postby res » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:02 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Res ..that looks likes the yeast slops from thr fermenter you have there ..Dunder is the stuff left in the still when you have finished.

I dn't think its offensive to smell andwhen the lids on heres no smell

Is does look a little like the slops doesn't it, but it's the dunder. It was in a 3lt milk bottle I shook up before pouring into the bucket so it had a bit of a head on it at the time I took the photo.

Has anybody tried adding infected dunder to the fermenter yet? That whole stillwagon thread is very interesting, I'm keen to try it.
It seems we should to organise some kind of dunder swap meet, post little jars of "doggy" dunder all over the place. 8-}
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:19 pm

No worrys Res..the shake up explains it.

A leaking bottle of Rum in the mail is one thing.....but burst bottle of mouldy Dunder....can just imagin th faces of the Hazmat clean up team :laughing-rolling:

I haven't tried adding Mouldy Dunder directly.I boil it first but I have read that it should be added as is to get the profile .

One thing about having a few Small Dunder pits is that you have a stepback so that If your generation goes wrong....and I have had several experiments that have gone off , you have a back up to get you back on track again :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

Postby bt1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Be keen to here the results/tastes/profile in terms of finished products for anyone using a dunderpit add.

2 months down in bloody winter and waiting waiting waiting

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:39 pm

My total failure at using aged dunder in a fermenter is chronicled here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2613&hilit=+dunder
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby res » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:57 pm

My dunder pit is waking up :D And I'm working on some fresh food for her.

P.S Her name is Albert
res

5lt copper pot still

Postby HoochHound » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:43 pm

That............

is nasty.

Thanks guys, you have provided me with new insight into the phrase Dunderhead.
HoochHound

equipment: T500 - Yep, I'm a newbie! :)

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:49 pm

res wrote:P.S Her name is Albert

Albert is one nasty bitch ....perhaps she would have liked a more feminine name fungus Fanny
Yummyrum

Next

Return to Recipe Development