Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby The Stig » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:32 am

Half the fun of the hobby is drinking mistakes and finding they are great :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby indenial » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:22 am

The Stig wrote:Half the fun of the hobby is drinking mistakes and finding they are great :laughing-rolling:

regarding that...

somewhere a few pages back in this thread I had a rum wash with probably a brett infection. I almost tipped it out. Ended up stripping it and then spirit running it (thanks to bluc and clickeraal for the advice) along with first 2 generations. It's the best rum I've made so far.

Many factors changed in subsequent batches (yeast type, fermentation temp, molasses source/ratio etc), but I suspect that "disastrous infection" was ultimately the cause of my unwitting success. Dunder/muck additions to the boiler for spirit run haven't produced the same quality of fruity esters.
indenial

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 3" modular pot, 2" shotgun condensor

Postby Puk » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:14 pm

So i was worried that my third generation had not "taken off", ie that yeast hadn't started again, as there is no "froth" on the surface, and it just looks the colour of coca-cola. But on putting my ear to it and having a listen, it is fizzing away, and when i look closely, i can see that there are larger bubbles coming up and breaking as they hit the surface, compared to the first and second generation.

Is there any reason for this?
Also, i tasted the low wines from my second generation, and already they taste WAY more flavourful (and a lot more like rum) than the all-first-generation spirit run that i did when i had an air still, and that has been on oak for 6 weeks already.

Can't wait to see how much character it has when i get to the 5th gen. :dance:
Puk
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Postby BigRig » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:38 pm

The ferments will become less violent and take longer as you progress through the generations. If its fizzing then you are fine leaving it.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Previous

Return to Recipe Development