Hook Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Hook Rum

Postby Nardy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Well I ended up splitting it into 6 containers and adding different ingredients to each for it to age on. Just oak in 1 of them, then the others had varying amounts of oak, vanilla (paste and natural essence), cinnamon, sultanas etc. So now I just have to wait...

How long am I waiting again? I'm pretty impatient.
Nardy

Postby Nardy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:40 pm

I couldn't wait very long and tasted some tonight after about 5 days 'ageing'. As expected, ordinary and smelt like shit.
Nardy

Postby busman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Can this recipe be used to make a Bacardi-style white rum? Mrs busman wants me to make her some, is the only difference that white rum is aged in glass or stainless instead of oak?
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby R-sole » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Yep it can, so can the Pints Fast fermenter.

the difference being that white rum is run through a reflux still at 95+%..

Bloody beautiful.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby busman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks 5Star, that'll be the next brew then :D

Is keeping and adding dunder as important in a white rum?
busman

Postby R-sole » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:37 pm

I don't believe so. I avoid it as it makes the fermentation easier and quicker and i don't think that thickness of flavour is desirable or nessercarily makes it through the rectification process. Others may have a different opinion.

One thing i do like in this is a tiny touch of late heads. Seems that little better a bit dirty, but that's a personal preference. 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby busman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:00 pm

5Star wrote:Seems that little better a bit dirty

Isn't everything? :lol: :lol:

Thanks 5Star
busman

Postby R-sole » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:34 pm

You are very welcome to my opinion, fr what it's worth. :crazy:
R-sole

Postby stimson » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:59 pm

i have completed my first srtipping run of this recipe. Should the low wines have a colour about them? My low wines has a light brown/ lemon colour about it. Should it be clear? Or will it clear up in the final spirit run? There is also a smell and taste about it, by no means a rum smell/taste and not really unlpeasent, just not what I was expecting. Got the 2nd generation down now.

I stripped it fast say 2.5L/hr.
My 2" pot still has only a short column section, say 10cm, with a 45deg bend, then a 90deg bend then reduced down to 1/2" into a worm.
Was thinking the colour/flavour was because of my short column length.

Any comments?
stimson

equipment: 2" bokabob
2" pot still
3" flute
4" flute
25L boiler
50L boiler

Postby SBB » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:00 pm

How full did you have your boiler....I'm thinking your still may have come very close to puking at one stage of the process. Basically the wash has frothed up and a tiny bit has got into your product. I could well be wrong, Im sure one of the more experienced members will have the answer.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 pm

SBB wrote:How full did you have your boiler....I'm thinking your still may have come very close to puking at one stage of the process. Basically the wash has frothed up and a tiny bit has got into your product. I could well be wrong, Im sure one of the more experienced members will have the answer.

I reckon you're onto it ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:59 pm

:dance: :dance: :dance: I must be learning something...... :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby stimson » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:54 pm

ok. So to get around that i have read you can add a dash of oil to the boiler to reduce the frothing? Or maybe i just not add so much wash to the boiler. I had a 20L wash in a 25L boiler.
Should I also consider reducing the power input?
or should i extend my column?
stimson

2" pot still
3" flute
4" flute
25L boiler
50L boiler

Postby R-sole » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:27 am

All distillate is clear, so as said it's puked or something in the still (wasp nest?) has carried over. Yes put less in or add some light oil or butter.
Also helps to reduce the heat or reduce the boiler charge.
R-sole

Postby Tracker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:18 pm

You can also give the wash a good stir to release the absorbed gas (think boiling a freshly opened coke), pouring from one container to another a few times before starting to heat will also do a similar job.
Otherwise reduce the heat input just before the boiler reaches temp and hold at the lower input until the gases have been released before raising the input.
All of these methods will work.

Cheers.
Tracker

Location: The bit in the middle of the bottom part about 2 hours north of the big smoke.
equipment: Pot still with thumper, doubled up liebig condensers.
2" Bok to clean up mistakes or an oversupply of heads & tails

Postby stimson » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks. will do a combo of all....
stimson

2" pot still
3" flute
4" flute
25L boiler
50L boiler

Postby stimson » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:34 pm

well, my 2nd run worked, clear distilite, yay.
put in a teaspoon of butter and reduced the temp for the foreshots then turned it on flatout.
my elect temperature controller worked well :dance:
stimson

2" pot still
3" flute
4" flute
25L boiler
50L boiler

Postby stimson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:48 pm

have completed my other two runs to get 4 lots of low wines to have 16L.
Did the spirit run last week and collected it in stubby bottles. collected 25 of them and 1.5L of fients.
Went thru my first session of doing a cut. Mixed bottles 3 - 15 and placed on some oak. kept the rest to run thru my Bok or maybe thru the pot still again?

Had a strong smell initially but that has since subsided. I must say i'm impressed already, can't wait till it ages. Can it get better? (I had to sample some)
Heaps more flavour than the brew shop essences. I mixed up another drink using one of my HB shop essesences. No comparison. now what to do with my HBS rum? Feed it to my mates....
stimson

2" pot still
3" flute
4" flute
25L boiler
50L boiler

Postby MacStill » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:31 pm

it will definitely get better with time on some oak.

Running your feints through the boka is not a bad idea, you should end up with a lighter flavored rum that you can age white for a Bacardi or coconut styled rum.

Or you can tip in the boiler along with your next wash, even saving feints until you get enough to do a full boiler feints run can have excellent results..... sup to you what you do of course :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Hook Rum

Postby Greg1234 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:24 am

I set my rum wash 5 days ago and it is still bubbling, my question is how long do you wait, after the fermentation is over, for the stripping run.

It's hard to imagine that this thing can clarify ...
Greg1234

equipment: Brewhause essential extractor

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development