Hook Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Hook Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:15 pm

been reading this reciepe last few weeks to get things straight in my head few interesting points the vitamin c powder the calcium powder after gen 2 and putting 10 % fresh wash in low wines for extra flavour. Plan on two ferments going at same time and 3 gens.just getting rest of my stuff together. Have done two ferments of macs reciepe and reakon it will be lucky to see 3 months :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Woodsy71 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:25 pm

Nice drop this one bluc!
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:31 pm

yea i bet it is :D Another thing is the tomato paste as a nutrient. wondering how the info from this would impact macs rum... is info in here for rum in general or just this reciepe?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:35 pm

Rum is rum
Follow the recipe
when you happy then you fuck with it
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:44 pm

Yea i have fermented/run 46l macs wash and I love it know decieding weather to play with generations ph levels and stuff after reading this thread or just stick to basic reciepe..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Brendan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:06 pm

Playing is always worthwhile once you've got a handle on the basic recipe and process. You might come up with something different that you love :-D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby kiwispirit » Tue May 10, 2016 3:43 pm

hey just wondering, after doing your last rum run before doing the spirit run has anyone ever tried to to reduce some dunder say from 20lt down to 10lt and freeze it for the start of the next rum run? in the hook rum recipe there is a mention of freezing dunder for the next rum cycle....can you reduce it and concentrate it?
kiwispirit

equipment: 2.5" VM still, 50lt keg with 3" sight glass on 3 ring burner, wheelie bin AC water re-circulating system, modular pot still attachment to the vm still

Postby TasSpirits » Tue May 10, 2016 5:55 pm

kiwispirit wrote:hey just wondering, after doing your last rum run before doing the spirit run has anyone ever tried to to reduce some dunder say from 20lt down to 10lt and freeze it for the start of the next rum run? in the hook rum recipe there is a mention of freezing dunder for the next rum cycle....can you reduce it and concentrate it?

I have tried this twice, the first time was a fail, tasted burnt. The second time I left it at a very slow simmer for about 8hrs, reduced by half, haven't used it yet. It seemed to taste incredibly strong compared to what I had left in the boiler. I think it will work fine, I will be using it on my next rum. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby kiwispirit » Wed May 11, 2016 10:54 am

Yeah i to have reduced some for next time but found if you reduce it to far it doesn't freeze properly so had to add some more water to get it to freeze, but it has a great strong flavour. Wonder if you could do it between each run to increase each generation flavour? Just a thought
kiwispirit

equipment: 2.5" VM still, 50lt keg with 3" sight glass on 3 ring burner, wheelie bin AC water re-circulating system, modular pot still attachment to the vm still

Postby coffe addict » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:58 pm

Hey TasSpirits or kiwispirit wondering how the concentrated dunder worked out?
By my thinking it'd work quite well in the first few gens but may lead to too high specific gravity for happy yeast.

Would love to hear your experiences...
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby r055c0 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:47 am

I regards to keeping dunder for an extended period of time I see no reason why you couldn't use the beer brewing method of "Hot Cubing", in essence you bring the liquid to about 90C, run it into a plastic jerry can (make sure its designed for water, you can get a few different sizes at bunnings), squeeze as much air out as you can and pout the li on tightly. As long as the liquid is hot enough (over 80C) for long enough (about 15 minutes) it pasteurises itself and the inside of the container. I've kept unfermented wort like this for over 6 months with no ill effects and I know many people have kept them for far longer.

If the cube does get infected you can generally tell because it expands (I've never actually had this happen), and obviously there's the ever reliable sniff test :)
r055c0

equipment: A fairly rudimentary home made pot still on an urn type boiler and a copper reflux still from Keg King

Postby kiwispirit » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:58 pm

coffe addict wrote:Hey TasSpirits or kiwispirit wondering how the concentrated dunder worked out?
By my thinking it'd work quite well in the first few gens but may lead to too high specific gravity for happy yeast.

Would love to hear your experiences...

Ok so after reducing about 16 to 20 lts of dunder down to 8 and freezing it for a few months then staring a new run with it there was no negative affects to the wash. It fermented fine , bubbled and was finished in the usual 3 to 4 days. I am no expert in rum as this was only my second batch which is on oak now, one month in, so 2 to go. Will let you know if this batch turns out rummyer than my first which has 6 months ageing on top of it.
Cheers
kiwispirit

Postby bluc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Interesting did you add water before adding it to the new wash? How did you work out how much to use
bluc
Site Donor

Postby kiwispirit » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:17 pm

bluc wrote:Interesting did you add water before adding it to the new wash? How did you work out how much to use

No water added and I just figured that as you usually add about 8 lts of backwash to a new wash that's what I did add about 8 lts of concentrated reduced backwash to a new wash and proceed as usual. Does that make sense?
kiwispirit

Postby VirtualT » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:32 pm

Did this recipe around christmas time, 3 generations. Made around 13 odd liters of 60% on the spirit run, I used a reflux head to get the last out of it plus all the rum feints what a great idea it was super smooth and rummy. Made up about 5 liters with a mix of french toasted and charred plus the reflux output, did 2L of french charred and 2L of french toasted, 2L of american charred and 2L of american toasted for a test. 2 months in I'm liking the 5L carboy the best, super smooth already really really nice rum.

Strugging to tell the difference between the 2L on charred or toasted to tell you the truth, apart from the fact that the american oak has definitely more bourbon flavours going on right now than the french oak and the toasted has a much darker color in both, I may end up combining them in the future but interested to see what a bit of time will do to it. I love my high proof rum (usually straight) and so far I am pretty impressed with this recipe and and the end result for all the effort.
Last edited by VirtualT on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VirtualT

equipment: 2" boka and 2" pot head

Postby VirtualT » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:16 am

3 months in I took the whole lot off oak as it seems to have had enough. Ended up combining the French toasted with the French charred, and the American toasted with the American charred as there just wasn't enough difference between them, apart from darker colour with the charred.

The French oaked carboy has a moderately dark color, already very smooth and drinkable, the American oaked carboy is more like a Jamacian rum, I feel it could do with more time to bring out its full potential, unfortunately there is about 2.5L left of each and its not looking like its going to last the distance lol. Time for another batch.

Didn't water them down at all they are at off the still strength, maybe this would effect the flavour profile I will need to try it.
VirtualT

equipment: 2" boka and 2" pot head

Previous

Return to Recipe Development