Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Doing the first run with those 60 litre fermenters I got so decided a 100 odd litres of TPW won't go astray with my new bubbler, anyway noticed the airlocks weren't chugging away and knew it wouldn't ferment that quick so popped the lids off to find both that stalled due the cold. Anyway got a mate around to help move onto an old railway box close to my shed fire and wrapped them up with the sleeping bags and sheets. So now daily just get the shed fire raging and both get back to around 20C, bubbling away and at night they only drop to 17-18C. By the way I found 14C was the temp when I saw there were stalled.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby prawnz » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:42 pm

I've had 2 x 25s of TPW bubbling away in the corner for a couple if days now and I have to say the lack of smell compared to turbos is bloody great :handgestures-thumbupleft:
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Professor Green » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:18 pm

Just wait until you've run it through the still. The results will be equally impressive.

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby JamieC » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:56 pm

It still amazes me how good this is as a neutral. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JamieC

equipment: Stainless 50L boiler, 2200w element, 1M Copper Reflux Still, Punchys power controller, Water pressure reg.

Postby Cheersbigears » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:46 am

Hi All
Just stripped 2 x 25lts of TPW only in a T500 and got just over 3lts in each run so almost 7lts all up and now doing my spirits run. I have collected 1lt of heads straight into the faints and than I start in the smaller jars for about 1-1.5lts? and then the next 2.5-3lts should be hearts? and into tails for the rest and into the faints as well. But will only be able to collect about the 6lts in total back out of the 7lts.
Does this sound about right.
Will do more cuts in the smaller jars as I get more jars from the paste. At the moment using the bottles. Still getting use to doing cuts and the airing for a day.
Out of about 5 lts of a faints run how much hearts would you expect I suppose that depends on the cuts you put into it. I'm thinking I have just answered my own question. But would it be about the 2-3 lts at most? and the rest for the mower.

Cheersbigears
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby Satly_Dog » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:16 pm

Cheersbigears wrote:Hi All
Just stripped 2 x 25lts of TPW only in a T500 and got just over 3lts in each run so almost 7lts all up and now doing my spirits run. I have collected 1lt of heads straight into the faints and than I start in the smaller jars for about 1-1.5lts? and then the next 2.5-3lts should be hearts? and into tails for the rest and into the faints as well. But will only be able to collect about the 6lts in total back out of the 7lts.
Does this sound about right.
Will do more cuts in the smaller jars as I get more jars from the paste. At the moment using the bottles. Still getting use to doing cuts and the airing for a day.
Out of about 5 lts of a faints run how much hearts would you expect I suppose that depends on the cuts you put into it. I'm thinking I have just answered my own question. But would it be about the 2-3 lts at most? and the rest for the mower.

Cheersbigears

I am also new to this, but with help from some members here, i found this the way to go.

Run 3 x 25litre TPW stripping runs (I discard the first 250ml and keep the rest, running the T500 at 60 degrees)
On my Spirit run, i pour the collected low wines into the T500 with enough water to make 40% or lower
Spirit run at 45 degrees (takes me around 7 hours for a slow spirit run)
Discard the first 250ml once again
Collect the rest in 250ml fractions

The Heads and Tails i collect from the Spirit run, i keep in a Feints Jar

From here, i have done 2 things,
either added the feints into the next Stripping runs equally
Or
a more dedicated faints run with perhaps other stuff i am reclaiming

The Heads and Tails from this second run, i throw away.

Hope that helps, i am still not 100% sure myself what the best way to go is.
Satly_Dog

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby prawnz » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:58 pm

Ok , I'm a little confused now .

You throw away the first 250ml from 3 x 25s , I get that . But then you chuck the first 250 away again on your spirit run ?
The fores don't all come out on the strip run ?
I think Im getting overwhelmed again :-ss :((

How much hearts would you expect from your 3x 25s with your metnod ?

Cheers Al
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Satly_Dog » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:21 pm

prawnz wrote:
How much hearts would you expect from your 3x 25s with your metnod ?

Cheers Al

To help, here are some measurements
Each of my TPW washes finish at 10% ABV and SG990

I collect around 4 litres for each Stripping run (once the 250ml fores are discarded)

I get around 4 litres of 95% ABV Hearts in the Spirit run (In a 5Ltr Demijohn, it fills it to the bottle to where the neck starts pulling in)
Perhaps i am being too fussy, but i found the Heads->Hearts cut point very obvious and i also found the Hearts->Tails cut point very obvious also.

Using the above method, i have produced the nicest cleanest TPW neutral to date using the T500.
For a Vodka, i diluted to 40% then ran that through a Carbon Filter, which did seem to make a slight improvement.
Satly_Dog

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby nojovo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Just wanted to add another +1 this recipe for any doubters still in Turbo-land and not game to try it.

Made my first 60L batch, using 500g Lego's triple concentrate, 12Kg sugar, pinch of epsom salts, and a tip of a spoon of citric acid and about 90g of lowans yeast straight on top.

It took 3 weeks to ferment and settle a bit, I stripped first with the pot still, then did the spirit run on the t500... took quite a while to run, and in the end yielded 3.5L of excellent product at 92% after cuts, plus about that again in heads + tails (which I kept separate). Not sure how that racks up compared to others, but I'm pretty happy with that.

Can't believe I pulled off a beautiful vodka using bakers yeast and tomato paste. :)

Next time I'll try to be more patient and clear it properly, but to be honest, I can't taste anything wrong with it when it's still a little opaque.
And I'll also probably stick to 50L batch... 3 stripping runs (well, 2.5) + spirit run in one day, wasn't pleasant (finished at 4am, lol, but glad I got it done, I had stuff to do the next arvo)

I will say it's mouthfeel is a little light, but as a vodka, it's bloody awesome.. Reminds me a little of Stolichnaya (but way better!)
Can see a ton of uses for this stuff, it will definitely be a regular part of my future brewing activities.
nojovo

equipment: Turbo 500 kit, plus a StillSpirits Pot Still condenser.

Postby EziTasting » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Poobottombum!

Forgot to add the citric acid to my TPW... It's only been going for a day, but it's been going strong!!!

Can I still add it, or should I just let it go??
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:21 pm

EziTasting wrote:Poobottombum!

Forgot to add the citric acid to my TPW... It's only been going for a day, but it's been going strong!!!

let it go, I have forgot on a few occasions, did no harm. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Cheersbigears » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:25 pm

G'Day All
I just put down my 125 lts wash two days ago and just got out at work for a week and realized :o I forgot the citric acid as well :angry-banghead: . So let you know how it goes I hope you're right I have my fingers crossed anyway. I used extra yeast this time just to use it up out of the freezer I normally use a tin per batch but had about a third so in it went as well but that's more like the recipe anyway but I think someone said you can get away with less yeast in a bigger batch.
After having ago at this I have to find someone to give the super 6 yeast to now never going back.
Wish I found this site before I got the T500 kit would for been a lot different from the start

Cheers All
Cheersbigears

Postby EziTasting » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:08 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
EziTasting wrote:Poobottombum!

let it go, I have forgot on a few occasions, did no harm. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yes, that seems to be the consensus! Some leave it out all together to make it a more neutral neutral ... Anyway, mine seems to be going bananas so I'm happy to leave it now...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby WTDist » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:26 pm

nojovo wrote:Next time I'll try to be more patient and clear it properly, but to be honest, I can't taste anything wrong with it when it's still a little opaque.
And I'll also probably stick to 50L batch... 3 stripping runs (well, 2.5) + spirit run in one day, wasn't pleasant (finished at 4am, lol, but glad I got it done, I had stuff to do the next arvo)

You will be surprised what those boilers can fit in them. there is a fill line i used to use but depending on what is in the boiler i might just fill it nearly to the brim, especially if it is just a stripping run. If your stripping TPW you can fit more than 25L in, doesnt matter if it pukes a bit but in my experience i havent had TPW puke.

Most ive filled up was about 5mm from flowing out of my boiler top :))

maybe im greedy though and just need a larger boiler sooner :)) Im impatient
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Cheersbigears » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:34 pm

G'Day All
I'm so going to get shit thrown at me BUT instead of throwing the super 6 yeast that I have what would happen if a put one packet in say a 100-130 lts TPW swapping out only the yeast. Would it lessen the stress on the yeast so it's more like the TPW or be a turbo output still. It would have to be a little better than the straight turbo mix I'm thinking as one packet is for 25 lts wash not the 100 lts plus. I have been wrong before.
Is there a good still or condenser that I can put on top of the T500 boiler instead of the copper one as I would like to try some rum and scotch recipes as well. I have heard that the T500 takes out all or most flavors of the flavors out of the washes so it's a waste of time doing them correct. :think:

Cheersbigears
Cheersbigears

Postby prawnz » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:13 pm

How long should I be looking for this TPW wash to clear ?

They stopped bubbling about 3 days ago , still very pink looking in thru the plastic fermenter . Havent cracked the seal to look inside yet .

Cheers Al
prawnz

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:25 pm

prawnz wrote:How long should I be looking for this TPW wash to clear ?

They stopped bubbling about 3 days ago , still very pink looking in thru the plastic fermenter . Havent cracked the seal to look inside yet .

Cheers Al

It won't ever go clear, had one I left for 6 months or so, still pink.
Check the SG and if it's around.990 you're good to go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby prawnz » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

:text-thankyoublue:
prawnz

Postby prawnz » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Just wondering , took the lid off one fermenter to check sg, almost 990, put the lid back on and its been bubbling away for the last 2 hours since .

This normal at all ?

Cheers Al
prawnz

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:17 pm

Yeap, can't remember right now why that is but if it's at 990 then it's ready to run. Mine still bubble after you open the lid
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development