Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby Horn_Bee » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:45 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Just lob the aquarium heater straight into the wash mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hey Zac,

I was going to run the heater directly into the bucket, but I was worried about gunking up the heater with sediment, creating a hot-spot in the wash or creating an unsecured gap in the bucket where the power cable ran in? I may be over thinking things though (I often do 8-})

Mick
Horn_Bee

equipment: .
Current:
FSD Blockhead Neutraliser
FSD 50L milk can boiler w/ 2x2400w elements
Voltage controller for boiler element
Fuselex master spirit filter

Previous:
T500 reflux condenser
Alembic pot condenser
30L electric boiler

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:48 pm

That looks about the same as my heater, cylinder of glass with an element inside? Temp control at the top?
If so just lob it in, doesn't gunk up. You may have to ditch
The lid and use cling wrap though for the cable :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Bushy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:20 pm

Careful with the raw sugar. There are a few unformentables in it that will leave a certain sweetness. OK if you like sweet vodka.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Horn_Bee » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:16 am

Bushy wrote:Careful with the raw sugar. There are a few unformentables in it that will leave a certain sweetness. OK if you like sweet vodka.

Ah, good to know. Thanks Bushy! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Horn_Bee

equipment: .
Current:
FSD Blockhead Neutraliser
FSD 50L milk can boiler w/ 2x2400w elements
Voltage controller for boiler element
Fuselex master spirit filter

Previous:
T500 reflux condenser
Alembic pot condenser
30L electric boiler

Postby Cheersbigears » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:51 pm

GDay All
What is the best way just airate realy well when I start the wash and thats it or airate it a few times over the time I have read a few ways from airate from everyday to few days etc. I airate it at the start and after a week and than leave it to settle out. What is best.
I have done a few TPW now and this is the first to have the brains on top and no different mix may have airated it more at the start and thats it.
Cheersbigears
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby Toddles » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:58 pm

I don't ever aerate the wash apart from when stirring the ingredients in. I was under the understanding that oxygen is good to start with but then should be avoided during the fermentation. There are instances when you want more oxygen in the wash (not sure which ones though) but i don't think TPW is one of them.
Toddles
Site Donor

equipment: 30 ltr boiler
2" coil pc
3" 1 metre packed stainless for neutral -95.6% abv
3" 370mm unpacked for pot stilling -81% abv + 1/2 inch air cooled worm

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:04 pm

Sorry to be so daft, but I'm a little confused as what your asking...
When I set up my TPW I use the hot water to dissolve, erm ... excuse me, invert the sugar and tomato paste! :-B
Then top it up with cold water, and use a drill and paint stirrer to really mix it up and aerate the wash .... Once it gets to around 30 degrees I sprinkle the yeast on top and then close it up until it's finished!

That's it. It ferments in about 5 days then I leave it that long again for it all to clear out. If I get to it after that time, I syphon it off and run it or I let it sit until I can get to it (I do check the Sg & FG) to make sure it's done.

Hope that answers your question?!?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:06 pm

Toddles wrote:I don't ever aerate the wash apart from when stirring the ingredients in. I was under the understanding that oxygen is good to start with but then should be avoided during the fermentation. There are instances when you want more oxygen in the wash (not sure which ones though) but i don't think TPW is one of them.

Hah, beat me by a whisker! The way I understand it, initial aeration is to assist in yeast reproduction after that you want it anaerobically so that the yeast produces alcohol... Otherwise, with oxygen, you're making vinegar!
EziTasting

Postby Cheersbigears » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:12 pm

Thats for that I will only airate at the start from now on
Cheers
Cheersbigears

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:13 pm

+1 lots of oxegyn to get it going then leave it alone. Have read with big ferments 200l+ people aerate for 8-12 hours :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:16 pm

bluc wrote:+1 lots of oxegyn to get it going then leave it alone. Have read with big ferments 200l+ people aerate for 8-12 hours :-B

Jus did 200L of this but didn't aerate that long. Where did you get that nugget from, bluc? Be interesting to read up on as I will be doing this volume from now on; our wives are such "Pissy-Missey's"... :D shshshshshshs don't tell!!
EziTasting

Postby MaxTT » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:26 pm

EziTasting wrote:
Toddles wrote:I don't ever aerate the wash apart from when stirring the ingredients in. I was under the understanding that oxygen is good to start with but then should be avoided during the fermentation. There are instances when you want more oxygen in the wash (not sure which ones though) but i don't think TPW is one of them.

Hah, beat me by a whisker! The way I understand it, initial aeration is to assist in yeast reproduction after that you want it anaerobically so that the yeast produces alcohol... Otherwise, with oxygen, you're making vinegar!

There are plenty of brewers (including major breweries) that continue to oxygenate for up to 3 days into ferment.
MaxTT

equipment: Pot Still, 2" dragon modular

Postby Cheersbigears » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:19 am

G'Day All
For this wash should I be refluxing a little or not. As I have not been doing that so far and if so how long is best or does it very on each boiler. :think:

Cheersbigears
Cheersbigears

Postby WTDist » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:58 am

the T500 is refluxing :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Try full reflux (no output) for 15 mins then collect
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Cheersbigears » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:31 pm

Yes it does Cheers but is that a normal thing for all washes to reflux as I hope to get a 4" modular soon and build up from there and a 50lt milk can. I kick myself all the time for not finding this site earlier.
Cheersbigears

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:55 pm

Yeah mate, let your still reflux for 15 minutes no matter what wash you're running. The same will apply for your bubbler when you get it. It lets the fractions sort themselves out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Revelations » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:24 pm

So I have just put down my 1st TPW using this recipe... We'll see how it goes down when I run it through the still next week...

Have used a similar recipe in the past with lemon juice and other things. I'm open to trying out new things...
Last edited by rumdidlydum on Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo
Revelations

equipment: 5L Air Still;
Black Maximus Reflux on a 30L Turbo Boiler;
Detuned Reflux on 20L Boiler
4" 6 Plate bubbler on 120L boiler

Postby Cheersbigears » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:08 am

Cheers thanks for all the info I have been getting not sure if I have thanked all but thanks and thats for all my posts. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

All will change for me soon I will be getting a 4" Modular Pot Still and maybe at least one 4" complete sg tee from 5 Star :D :happy-partydance: before Xmas or soon after just trying to find a forum on running a 4"pot still to save on same other question later. Then save for the 50lt milkcan and sell the T500 and on to the CFW etc for a nice scotch whiskey or better or a rum but I hope to stay on this wash and see how it runs and the difference in the top to start with I won't call it a still(T500) even though I have broad shoulders. :laughing-rolling:
Not saying this wash is no good but its the best wash as far as I know I can do with the %$&* (thing I have)

Cheers again to all that have nicely lead me in the right direction, ( ok some questions I have needed an uppercut for). But heading in the right direction now after the misses gets over the $600 I have wasted. :violence-smack:

Cheersbigears
Im not sure if it makes sense as after night shift and some of this stuff on chips for a few months mmmmm. :obscene-drinkingchug: :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Cheersbigears

Postby Glenn » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:29 am

So I put my first TPW Down on last break, FIFO 2/1, as per the recipe and my initial SG was 1100! It was taken from the wash at 30' and let cooled. I read while away the whole thread and the highest SG I read was about 1.080. The tomato paste I used was from a jar and I measured out 200g on a cheap non digital scales. I get home last night and my final SG 900. It tasted ok, well for a wash that is!

Here is my brew notes

TPW
25 Ltrs @ 30'c
5kgs Coles sugar $1.80 for 2kgs
200g Coles Tomato Paste
80g Lowans Yeast
Initial SG 1100
FG 900 23.8.16

The alcohol content seams Very high! What's up???

Oh a the juice from a small lemon.
Glenn

equipment: Airstill
2 30ltr fermenters
DIY Red Dot Carbon Filter

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:59 am

id say your FG couldnt be 900, must be 990, check it again and maybe take a pic if you can :handgestures-thumbupleft:
lol, yeap, just checked on the calcs page, if you're correct then youve got a 25%abv wash :laughing-rolling: :scared-eek: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: fuck distilling it, just drink up
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development