Shopping list

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Shopping list

Postby FilthyPhil » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:08 pm

So once I've finished making the pot still & keg boiler I'm going to need to go shopping for:
fermenters
hydrometer
alcometer
stirring spoon
bottles
thermometer
ingredients to put in the still

Anything else I need, I'm starting from scratch?
FilthyPhil

equipment: I have built a 50l keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements & a 2" copper pot still with shotgun condenser.

Re: Shopping list

Postby Wellsy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:44 am

I would grab a stainless steel strainer and a funnel would both be handy.
A glass pipett or wine thief will make life much easier and some ageing dominoes.
Temperature controller and heating belts for the wash as well as a voltage controller for your spirit run.
There will be more, there always is :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RC Al » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:12 am

Bottles is a bit generic, you need to break that into
Cut jars
Low wines storage
Aging storage
Finished product storage

Glass demijohns and various sized kegs are good for the last 3 of those

You may want to look at some kitchen things of your own like scales, spoons, measuring jugs, cleaning scourers and so forth (a complete seperate sink/prep area is ideal) depending on your domestic bliss stiuation
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby FilthyPhil » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:30 am

Wellsy wrote:I would grab a stainless steel strainer and a funnel would both be handy.
A glass pipett or wine thief will make life much easier and some ageing dominoes.
Temperature controller and heating belts for the wash as well as a voltage controller for your spirit run.
There will be more, there always is :)

Thanks Wellsy, like any hobby or sport there's always more.
And thank you Google, now I know what a pipett is.
FilthyPhil

equipment: I have built a 50l keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements & a 2" copper pot still with shotgun condenser.

Postby FilthyPhil » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:38 am

RC Al wrote:Bottles is a bit generic, you need to break that into
Cut jars
Low wines storage
Aging storage
Finished product storage

Glass demijohns and various sized kegs are good for the last 3 of those

You may want to look at some kitchen things of your own like scales, spoons, measuring jugs, cleaning scourers and so forth (a complete seperate sink/prep area is ideal) depending on your domestic bliss stiuation

I have a spare keg with a tap that I will use for low wines but like you said I will need cuts jars, a couple of ageing demijohns & some final product storage bottles.
I am in complete domestic bliss, I've been single for the last 5 years.
FilthyPhil

Postby bluess57 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:04 pm

Oak dominoes
Got your water cooling set-up sorted? Hoses, connectors
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby FilthyPhil » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:45 pm

bluess57 wrote:Oak dominoes

As far as water cooling goes I have a 3000 litre slimline rainwater tank on the side of the garage. I just have to work out what I'm going to use to pump it into the shotgun condenser & back out into the tank. Bunnings have a $28 submersible pond pump which pumps up to 9 litres a minute ????

I was thinking just 1/2" pipe inlet & outlet with the hose pushed over it & a hose clamp for a start. There shouldn't be too much pressure in it.
What do ya reckon?
Last edited by FilthyPhil on Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FilthyPhil

Postby Wellsy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:36 am

FilthyPhil wrote:
bluess57 wrote:Oak dominoes

As far as water cooling goes I have a 3000 litre slimline rainwater tank on the side of the garage. I just have to work out what I'm going to use to pump it into the shotgun condenser & back out into the tank. Bunnings have a $28 submersible pond pump which pumps up to 9 litres a minute ????

I was thinking just 1/2" pipe inlet & outlet with the hose pushed over it & a hose clamp for a start. There shouldn't be too much pressure in it.
What do ya reckon?

If you look at the water cooling setup thread in the newbie section it might give you some ideas. A lot will depend on how far you are from the water tank with the still as the length of hose slows the flow rate. 9 litres a minute might be a bit slow. I use the 3600 litres a minute and when connect to 20 metres of hose water flow was like 65 year old pissing. I shortened the hose to 5 metres and it is like an 18 year old. Massive difference in flow rate.

I hope that helps,plenty here with a lot more experience than myself let’s see what they say
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RC Al » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:51 am

Use a bigger bore for any distace runs, even if its larger than the inlet/outlet of the pump, this will reduce the flow losses from the drag caused by the wall of the hose

Are you doing a 3/4 over 1/2 liebig? The water flow path area in one of those exceeds the flow area of a 1/2 pipe, your best off jumping up to 3/4 piping and connectors to make the condenser the restriction, not the pipework.

Im using 1 1/2" for the 15m from my tank to shed and back, overkill for the moment, but I shouldent have to change much when i upgrade to bigger gear. Havent actually measured my output with the liebig conncted yet, but im pretty sure if you can keep the 9l/h to the condenser connection, it would handle everything of the average user, depending on length of condenser of course. If your looking at big power levels/ lots of gas , you might need to revise that
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby FilthyPhil » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:02 am

Wellsy wrote:I use the 3600 litres a minute and when connect to 20 metres of hose water flow was like 65 year old pissing. I shortened the hose to 5 metres and it is like an 18 year old. Massive difference in flow rate.

3,600 litres a minute, that seems like a lot of water in one minute?
When fuelling our locomotives at work it takes about 15 minutes to put 10,000 litres in & that's through a 4" hose.
FilthyPhil

Postby FilthyPhil » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:07 am

RC Al wrote:Use a bigger bore for any distace runs, even if its larger than the inlet/outlet of the pump, this will reduce the flow losses from the drag caused by the wall of the hose

Are you doing a 3/4 over 1/2 liebig? The water flow path area in one of those exceeds the flow area of a 1/2 pipe, your best off jumping up to 3/4 piping and connectors to make the condenser the restriction, not the pipework.

Im using 1 1/2" for the 15m from my tank to shed and back, overkill for the moment, but I shouldent have to change much when i upgrade to bigger gear. Havent actually measured my output with the liebig conncted yet, but im pretty sure if you can keep the 9l/h to the condenser connection, it would handle everything of the average user, depending on length of condenser of course. If your looking at big power levels/ lots of gas , you might need to revise that

The plan is a 400mm x 2" shotgun condenser with 5 x 1/2" tubes.
FilthyPhil

Postby pimpsqueak » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:39 am

FilthyPhil wrote:Anything else I need, I'm starting from scratch?

20 litre Handy Pails. The more the merrier.
pimpsqueak

Location: Floating around Tassie until we find the right spot.
equipment: FSD 2” Pot Still
Modular 2” CCVM reflux using parts from FSD, SD and Designer Coils.

Postby Wellsy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:37 am

FilthyPhil wrote:
Wellsy wrote:I use the 3600 litres a minute and when connect to 20 metres of hose water flow was like 65 year old pissing. I shortened the hose to 5 metres and it is like an 18 year old. Massive difference in flow rate.

When fuelling our locomotives at work it takes about 15 minutes to put 10,000 litres in & that's through a 4" hose.

Errr would you believe an hour :angry-banghead:
Hours minutes are they not the same ?????
I thought they were the same cos my missus says I will only be a minute and it always feels like an hour lol
Wellsy

Postby RC Al » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:14 pm

Go the big fitting on the shotty for sure, will futreproof you if you decide to go a lot of kw for pot stripping, the other advantage of a free flowing system is reduced wear on your pump.
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby FilthyPhil » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:43 pm

Wellsy wrote:
FilthyPhil wrote:

Errr would you believe an hour :angry-banghead:
Hours minutes are they not the same ?????
I thought they were the same cos my missus says I will only be a minute and it always feels like an hour lol

:laughing-rolling: That sounds better Wellsy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
FilthyPhil

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products