Using SS Liqueur Bases vs alternative recipe

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Using SS Liqueur Bases vs alternative recipe

Postby Frank » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:07 pm

When making SS Liqueurs, I was wondering if anyone has compared using SS Liqueur Bases as per instructions with using the 'alternative' recipe as detailed on the flavor bottle. I'd be very interested to know any differences (taste, smell, thickness etc) that were found in the finished products.
Frank

Re: Using SS Liqueur Bases vs alternative recipe

Postby MacStill » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:28 pm

You can also save some cash by just using 50/50 ratio of sugar and water, just simmer it on the stove top while stirring until it has melted all the sugar.

Then stick it in the fridge and let it get cold, it'll end up real thick and gooey and makes a great liqueur base :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Frank » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 pm

McStill wrote:Then stick it in the fridge and let it get cold, it'll end up real thick and gooey and makes a great liqueur base :D

Hey McStill thanx for info. Cold = about 4 degrees C? :? Also can I presume that the amount of sugar/water stuff you'd need will be the difference between the recommended base spirit volume and the 'finish' volume (eg 1.125l with SS instructions)? BTW, when its 'thick' and you stir it through the base spirit, is it likely to stay appropriately 'thick' in the bottled liqueur over time and out of the fridge ;) ?
Frank

Postby MacStill » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:27 pm

yep just leave it in the fridge 4c is fine

This sugar syrup is used to replace the liqueur base, just use the directions on the essence bottle.

Yep it stays thick, not sure for how long as it never lasts :lol:

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products