My first build...

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

My first build...

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:35 pm

Hey everyone, been busy lately but thought I'd finally get around to posting my build project. It's taken a few months all up now but I now have some product ready to drink, it's only neutral to start with but I'm happy to see it all come together.

So I started off with the 50 litre keg boiler, you have all seen plenty of them so I won't go into too much detail on that. I did everything except the welding on this part. I had one issue with that process, when the 4" fill port was welded on it warped slightly, enough for it to leak. I found it when I sealed it up and flipped it to acid bath the welds. Took it back to the guy that welded it for me and he managed to get it pretty flat, enough for it to seal up with an extra crank on the clamp. Don't think I'll be able to put a sight glass on that one though.

Here's a couple of photo's, I know everyone loves pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stryda

equipment: 50ltr keg boiler with 2 x 2400watt FSD elements.
Modular 2” CCVM and 2” Pot Still.
4” 5 Plate Glasser

Re: My first build...

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Now after picking up all the copper I needed I then started work on the stills. I went with a 2" modular CCVM and Pot still, after seeing Lesgold's build I decided that's the path I was going to attempt. I have never really done any metalwork before so I wasn't expecting to get it as good as his but I gave it a crack.

I started with hard soldering my first easy flange, maybe wasn't my best decision but I was going to need to do it for the shotgun. Turned out ok but being the noob that I am I didn't realize the amount of heat I was going to need, my Mapp torch was pushed that's for sure.

IMG_4533.JPG

IMG_4534.JPG

IMG_4535.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:46 pm

I was a little concerned at first but managed to clean it up somewhat...
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:52 pm

After hard soldering both ends for the shotgun I decided to change to soft soldering the rest, that was A LOT easier. Got my first 2 sections done then moved onto the flanges for the T and bends.

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4546.JPG

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4550.JPG
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:56 pm

I didn't have the elbows or the T piece at this point so I moved onto the RC. I realized I was going to need some sort of jig to bend this thing up so I came up with this.
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:01 pm

I started off with no salt but I quickly found out that that was gonna be too risky so I filled the 1/4" tube with salt and got started.
Jig worked a treat!

IMG_4547.JPG

IMG_4548.JPG

It wasn't perfect but it even fitted in nicely! Not too bad for a first attempt I thought...

IMG_4549.JPG
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:05 pm

Wasn't sure how to get the hose connector on but ended up cutting a wedge out of a piece of 1/2" pipe, crimped and brazed. Not the prettiest thing but it sealed up and worked.
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:09 pm

Then the part that I was most nervous about, the shotgun internals. I went with only 5 1/2" tubes because I am still only new to this. First attempt failed as I think I rushed things. Second attempt I took a lot more time, made sure everything was extremely clean and it worked! Soldered on the hose connectors and tested it.... and it sealed up perfectly! :happy-partydance:
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Ok so this story is getting a little long now and I don't want to bore you all too much so I will speed things up a bit.

I finally got all of the pieces built except for the take off. Seeing as though everything was going reasonably well I decided to try build a parrot. I took my time and had a couple of hairy moments but I think I did well and was happy with the outcome, even managed to solder the stainless 1/4" thread to the bottom cap for the purge valve!
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:17 pm

So here are all of the other bits.

CCVM

IMG_4558.JPG

Pot

IMG_4559.JPG
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:25 pm

I gave everything a citric acid bath to clean it all up.

IMG_4566.JPG

I decided to get a sight glass tube for the top of my column and when that and the 4" to 2" reducer finally arrived it was time to put it all together. It was now that I realized that the CCVM was going to be too tall! :angry-banghead:

So I quickly (well the next day) cut 200mm off one of my 600mm sections and made it into 2 sections, 1 x 200mm and 1 x 400mm.
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:28 pm

It was now time for the vinegar run! Excited! I sealed up the top of the RC and cranked it all up with just the Shotty running so that I could give the RC a good clean.
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby bluc » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:36 pm

Cool as :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:40 pm

That all went well so the next weekend when my sacrificial TPW was ready it was time for the sac run. That also went well so I was pretty happy with everything at this point. My first build was succesful! I put on a couple of TPW's and when they were ready I stripped them with the pot still and last week I did my first spirit run in the CCVM. Put what I kept from my cuts through a carbon filter and mixed with some essences today. I now have to try and wait for it to mellow before drinking... Who am I kidding, as if I will be able to stop myself from having a taste tonight! :D

Thanks for reading this far, just wanted to share my first build with people who may appreciate it.

:text-thankyoublue:

IMG_4605a.JPG

IMG_4625a.JPG
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby Lesgold » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Great job Stryda. Pleased to see you have everything up and running. You’ll be in making the good stuff in no time. Well done mate. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby Stryda » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:44 pm

Lesgold wrote:Great job Stryda. Pleased to see you have everything up and running. You’ll be in making the good stuff in no time. Well done mate. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Les! Already got 2 fermenters going with some Macrum... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby dans.brew » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:34 pm

Very nice indeed! :dance:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Rumblepants » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 am

Nice work! I am just building almost exactly the same still.

What ratio of citric acid to water did you use for the bath?

Cheers
Rumble
Rumblepants

equipment: 2inch CCVM 50L Keg Boiler

Postby WhiskeySour » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:58 pm

I'm also building something similar, it seems Lesgold has inspired a few of us!
Reading this post has given me a kick in the arse to get mine finished, hit a brick wall on 1/4in for my easy flanges and the condenser coil. Going to have to do some digging
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby Sam. » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:15 pm

Rumblepants wrote:Nice work! I am just building almost exactly the same still.

What ratio of citric acid to water did you use for the bath?

Cheers
Rumble

5% Citric acid solution in hot water will do the trick
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Next

Return to Hardware Research & Development