Hot air capable duct fans.

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Hot air capable duct fans.

Postby bluc » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:08 am

Does anyone in cold southern states know of something similar to this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-AIR-VENT ... ia%3Dmedia

I am getting into malting and need a fan capable of high heat for drying and kilning malt.
I have a 100l stock pot on the way and plan to start small work my way up to 2-3bags at a time.
Been doing lots research last couple months and have settled on this idea.
Plan to have smallish oven element in lid(unless i can track down an oven element that is also waterproof for when i steep the barley. In which case element will be in bottom )
And push high-ish volume air through grain and out bottom.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Hot air capable duct fans.

Postby RC Al » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:32 am

Put a regular fan on the cold side of the element? Blow past it?
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:38 am

Yea just buy a cheap heating fan and duct the outlet but make sure a gap is there and it will do the job for you for just a few bucks :handgestures-thumbupleft: Well if it only lasts a few runs it's still a heap cheaper than that unit you put a link to.

As your prototyping the cheap option is the way to go with out over thinking and spending a small fortune
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:32 pm

I doubt a fan heater blowing into a non sealed duct would have the guts to push enough air through 40kg grain..Need decent volume air. Control of heat would be electronic.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:34 pm

RC Al wrote:Put a regular fan on the cold side of the element? Blow past it?

This is something i am considering and most likely will make no difference if i have to blow the air through top to bottom.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:36 pm

Blower and element in lid would make it more compact also without needing sideways room.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:41 pm

Just put the grain on a grid plate with a heap of small holes and direct the hot air from the fan to the base of the enclosure, hot air rises it doesn't fall so no use putting one above. :handgestures-thumbupleft: One may need to move the grain at times so the rising hot air can reach every grain.

Just imagine how the big boys do it with their malt houses and when you make yours just use the same principle :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No need to reinvent the wheel mate and honestly a modified cloths dryer will do the job to a tee. Have a look at how the beer guys do it for their grain for idea's.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:55 pm

I like the clothes dryer idea, I always like the easiest option lol, but most driers are only rated to 8 - 10kg.
We had a member who had his own machine who lived in northern vic and he had even worked out the cost. From memory it was almost cheaper to by malt. Then again when we work out the cost it is almost cheaper to buy booze lol

I like you work Bluc and look forward to seeing your results mate, good luck
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Ned » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:40 pm

bluc wrote:Does anyone in cold southern states know of something similar to this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-AIR-VENT ... ia%3Dmedia

I am getting into malting and need a fan capable of high heat for drying and kilning malt.
I have a 100l stock pot on the way and plan to start small work my way up to 2-3bags at a time.
Been doing lots research last couple months and have settled on this idea.
Plan to have smallish oven element in lid(unless i can track down an oven element that is also waterproof for when i steep the barley. In which case element will be in bottom )
And push high-ish volume air through grain and out bottom.

I use a turbo oven that is fixed into the door of a front loader washing machine. They have a fan on them, but I also use a hyrdroponic fan for cooling when germinating. Has also a spray set up and I turn the drum very slowy on a timer. The limit is 8kg, but it basically automatic. I am now actually steeping in a temperature control fridge as this time of year hard to keep it at 18 deg. I have been looking at these fans, but not sure if the restricted airflow would stuff them up (FANMASTER INDUSTRIAL ELECTRIC SPACE HEATER 2.4KW 240V - HES2.4). Thinking out of the square you need an industrial or commercial clothes dryer that is connect to gas, but the issue is controlling the drum speed and of course the cost. Good Luck.
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:44 pm

Thanks Ned, I could not think of your name sorry mate. Thanks for chiming in, i hope life is treating you well
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Ned » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:10 am

Wellsy wrote:Thanks Ned, I could not think of your name sorry mate. Thanks for chiming in, i hope life is treating you well

No worries Wellsy, Haven't posted for a while.
No complaints at the moment. Hope your doing okay too.
Haven't malted for a while. Must do a batch and get some A/G whisky on the go. (update solar panels, so no nil cost in malting now :D )
Sold my beaut 5 star Neutraliser. (Missing it already). Got a bit heavy for me as had to partly dismantle each time. (Kept the boiler)
Only consulation went to a great bloke who purchased a boiler off Andrew at 5 Star Distilling
Now got a 2" Copper still from a fellow in Qld also. Its got a 1 metre packed section. Just learning how to run it. (Not as pretty as the Neutraliser thought :laughing-rolling: )
I am pretty happy with it as I can run it at 2.5 LPH which was about what I did with the bubbler.
Cheers Mate
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby bluc » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:38 pm

This is what i am copying only on smaller scale
https://youtu.be/NGqwk3BW8mw
Heat source will be an element inside under lid large volume air blown through grain out bottom.

Only reason element is going in top is because i cant find one that works in open air and can also be submerged while i steep. With enough positive air flow the warm air will still dry the grain even if exiting the bottom.
There is another video like the one i posted above and they reverse the flow of hot air half way through to even out the drying.
I aint re inventing anything and its simple as can be. A pot a heat source and a fan.
Complicated bit will be fully automating it..
Last edited by bluc on Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:58 pm

Oh and naturally the grain will be sitting on a false bottom..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:52 pm

Nice work Bluc, you will be able to upgrade once you get this one mastered lol

Maybe pour a slab for the shed with floor heating :)
Wellsy

Postby bluc » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:25 pm

I dont think i will need too 2 bags(maybe 3) at a time should keep me outta trouble... :whistle:
bluc
Site Donor

Return to Hardware Research & Development