Hello

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello

Postby Celtics » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:42 pm

Well I'am about to get into this hobby and looking at the turbo 500 kit.. Now I am not so sure...

Btw been reading all day unreal information honestly thanks.
Celtics

equipment: Still Noob

Re: Hello

Postby bluc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:44 pm

Welcome lots of info here keep you busy for months! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:51 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
What's your drop of choice? Also how much effort are you wanting to put into a drop?
Those questions will help you choose a still that you will be happy with long term :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby coffe addict » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Hey mate what part of this fine country are you from?
As rum said what you like to drink is the biggest deciding factor on which still your journey starts with.
Forget everything you were told at your local hbs!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Kenster » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:02 pm

Welcome mate...
i have been a nay sayer of the T500 for a while now but really, when push comes to shove, it is a fair system to start off with BUT you will tire of it very quickly due to some limitations. This site will set u straight...so dont blow your dough till you suss out more from this site.
Are you builder as there is a heap of great stuff you can make yourself....better and cheaper. Have fun along the way.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Celtics » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks for the welcome fellas, from country vic out in the sticks.

Pretty much drink Bourbon but dont mind vodka but a pot still is out of the question right now considering not interested in building to begin with and I would rather go reflux, I actually like the look of the Copper Reflux Still from kegking to be honest I think its the same as the Pure Distilling one and have not read a bad word about it.

Thanks to this site I will kick off with TPW once I get some fermenting barrels and I guess start trying to master the cuts.
Celtics

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:59 am

If you pretty much drink bourbon you'll be pretty much disappointed with neutral and cordial.

What about one of 5 Star's 2" pots - http://www.5stardistilling.net/2-pot-still/

Or you could ask them about a MacBoka...

Or grab WTD's rig out of the for sale section here? Half the price of a HBS rig and you can make real bourbon and vodka ;-) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9798
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Celtics » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:15 am

Very true mate, my jaw has been dropping over the 5star stills and that 4" modular is on my want list once I move to a keg boiler. I been looking at WTDs rig too but ship to country vic might be a problem you got me thinking though cheers
Celtics

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:56 am

Mobs like pack and send are extremely cheap, or there's a website called
Truckit.org that I use for work where you request a quote and multiple companies bid on freighting it, a bit like reverse eBay.
I wouldn't go into detail of what the item is but if it's packed well then only need the dimensions and weight.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Kenster » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Celtics...you will kick yourself if you go n buy some new stuff...think with your head not your heart n eyes.
Something like WT's combo is a perfect unit for what u r looking to do...freight? really?if its under 100 bucks ...its a no brainer...you are still miles ahead.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby WTDist » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:30 pm

Welcome :wave:

Celtics wrote:Very true mate, my jaw has been dropping over the 5star stills and that 4" modular is on my want list once I move to a keg boiler. I been looking at WTDs rig too but ship to country vic might be a problem you got me thinking though cheers

online quote for a courier to Melbourne was about $45 i think. country wouldnt be much more i wouldnt think. maybe $55 cant remember, did these quotes online before i posted to have a ruff guess. Perth was about $80 i think.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:49 pm

I have a 2yo t500 for sale if u wanted 1 cheap.
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Return to Welcome Centre