Has anyone tried for a permit as a genuine hobbyist?

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Has anyone tried for a permit as a genuine hobbyist?

Postby tassiespirit » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:25 pm

Ok, hi there guys first post , first stupid question ( well sort of), I am retired and not able to work, so I want a hobby. I love my Bourbon / Whiskey and would love to tinker in this area. I have been watching, looking and reading for a few years and have put some good $$'s aside to start up my hobby.

Being a straight up type of guy, I thought I would look at the ATO side of things and see what the heck, was the permit needed for my new hobby. So I looked up their web site only to find some info. The only one or two I can see is ( if I do submit one) is to run a full on business and storage.

So two permits at least and police checks etc etc. Plus business name and an ABN , all of which to me is not necessary for a hobby in my retirement.
Then I am assuming you would be required to have an approved commercial premises ( zoned light industrial) , including appropriate storage and parking etc.
You would have to work in day light hours with insurance (workers comp) and not move the hobby offsite (home) without, again the appropriate transport permit, and vehicle.

The mind boggles................. and I feel that I am being driven to drink. If I could only find a still, I would make one; and a good one.
So, getting finally to the question, has anyone done the deed, and tried to get a permit - as a hobbyist ?

tassiespirit

I don't suffer from insanity, ................ I enjoy it!
tassiespirit

equipment: Got a small reflux, need to sort things out for a Pot style as well.

Re: Has anyone tried for a permit as a genuine hobbyist?

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Tassie, welcome here. :greetings-waveyellow:
Unfortunately there is no "hobbyist" permit here in Australia, I genuinely wish there was.
It's either keep your nose clean and fly under the radar or go professional.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
As DJ said, there's no hobby scale license available.
If there was I personally wouldn't hesitate in registering my self and equipment. But until that day comes the hobby distiller is forced to keep it quiet. :-B
It's a great hobby to get into, the amount of effort you put in like most things, results in what you get out.

P.s I moved your post to the welcome area :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Darwin award » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:13 pm

I wonder if there is such a thing as micro distiller all registered and producing today that DIDN'T start out like the rest of us.....
Doubt it.
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Welcome mate.

I have never heard of anyone being caught or punished for making spirits for personal consumption. Keep it discrete, keep it safe and enjoy the fruits of your own labour.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Undertaker » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:16 pm

+1 on zac
I personally know a copper that stills his own, (and knows I do, and several others). They are only interested in chasing guys who are into production for sales.

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby EziTasting » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:47 pm

There have been intense discussions elsewhere and there a number of members here that have gone from hobbyist to professional on this site. So there is info out there but it's the "wading thru the red tape" that causes most of the headakes!

For me, I'd want to know that I can make something that. It only tastes good to me and my mates, but something that would appeal to a broad audience, before I'd consider going professional.

I don't need another business, I got enough and at this stage they're still in their infancy and not ready to hand over to a manager... so I'm busy enough! Well, I could always be busier!! Haha
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Kenster » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:14 pm

A friend of ours is a hairdresser.She has a room outside her main house set up with all the stuff.She is not registered for GST, nor has a registered business name etc.She claims that she is legally running a HOBBY business.She deals mainly in cash but claims all her 'exenses', as most self employed dudes do...go figure.
Sure it aint makin booze, so maybe there are differing requirements for different business concerns.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Kenster wrote:A friend of ours is a hairdresser.She has a room outside her main house set up with all the stuff.She is not registered for GST, nor has a registered business name etc.She claims that she is legally running a HOBBY business.She deals mainly in cash but claims all her 'exenses', as most self employed dudes do...go figure.
Sure it aint makin booze, so maybe there are differing requirements for different business concerns.

She's not producing any goods that attract excise though. That's where the issue is for home distilling.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Undertaker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:39 pm

I believe its called excise. A "person" offering a service out of their backyard can only be taxed on the service provided, (ie f all), so Sharon, and her customers represent a piddling amount. Whereas Kevin and his backyard hooch. Well thats a different story........ Producing a commodity that is worth shit loads to the guvmint in excise and them not being able to get their grubby mits on it is a big no no. I believe something like 70% of the price of spirits goes straight to the treasury

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

PC liebig condensor

Postby Kenster » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:42 pm

bit like petrol/LPG...fuckers
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby warramungas » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Lol. If they could tax a root they would! :laughing-rolling:
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Plumby » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:07 pm

warramungas wrote:Lol. If they could tax a root they would! :laughing-rolling:

:laughing-rolling: , probably charge extra to go bare back due to the heightened risk of probable use of the government health system.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby warramungas » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:10 pm

Geez plumby. Here I was innocently trying to keep it clean and you just had to take it one step too far. :naughty:

Lol. :))
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Bill Lark was able to change the Distillation Act 1901 to allow for operators to use smaller stills, sparking the craft distillers since 1992. Surely the law can be changed again so there can be another classification of "hobbyist" allowed? Does anyone know if there has been any work put into this possible change?
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Postby warramungas » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:02 pm

Roger wrote:Bill Lark was able to change the Distillation Act 1901 to allow for operators to use smaller stills, sparking the craft distillers since 1992. Surely the law can be changed again so there can be another classification of "hobbyist" allowed? Does anyone know if there has been any work put into this possible change?

Craft distillers can make money so it may be worthwhile for them to spend the time and money (politicians aren't cheap to buy) to lobby to get the act changed. Plus any money they make still returns money to the government so not a big deal for them.
Hobbyists dont have the resources to spend or make the money back as its only for personal use or to share without making any money or contributing to revenue. I would say you'd be paddling your boat up a fast flowing river.
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby Plumby » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:15 pm

Look at it this way man.
Bundaberg Rum make,bottle and distribute a 700ml bottle of their product and it sells for say $40. Now the government gets $28 of that $40 per bottle.
Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Makers Mark, Wild Turkey, every bottle of spirits, beer and wine are taxed.
Spirits are taxed the most ( that's why we can make beer and wine at home legally ) so from a business point of view it makes sense to make home made spirits illegal. If you do get caught, you have to pay the excise on every litre of grog you have in your possession plus the fine for owning the still ( device to produce a unregulated substance ).
The permit will never happen on the hobby level as to get a commercial license you need to predict next financial years income and pay the excise b4 you start production. Why give Mr/Mrs average Joe a hobby licence for say $300 per annum when the product they can make far exceeds what you would make if they brought commercial spirits.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Undertaker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Cant understand why
warramungas wrote:......politicians aren't cheap to buy......

They wear cheap suits, they work f'k all take the pension early and have special rules for their super. Whats not to like about them?
Undertaker

PC liebig condensor

Postby Plumby » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Not funny man
Plumby

Postby warramungas » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:55 pm

Plumby wrote:Not funny man

Well it was supposed to be. If it wasn't I'll try and tone down my sense of humor from now on.
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Next

Return to Welcome Centre