Gday from Melburn

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Gday from Melburn

Postby Wobbegong » Sat May 28, 2022 5:27 pm

Hello,

Have been "interested" in home brewing for quite some time now, have lived with a couple people that had T500 stills and was impressed with a few of the drinks that came out of it. Was destined to go down the same route until i stumbled on this site...

Have since picked up a couple kegs and plan to make a kettle and make my own still, following some methods ive seen used here, i think it'll be straight forward enough. (dunning kruger effect) 8-}

Plan is to make a two element electric kettle, come from 4" to a 2" column, a dephlem and a shotgun condensor, which if i understand correctly should give me the oppurtunity to make neutrals and also have a crack as some of these recipes you lads are raving about.

These bubblers sound like the business too.... :think:

Honestly know SWEET FA about distilling but can use a Tig and not scared of a bit of copper so..

Don't have deep pockets so going to slowly acquire what i can , not in a rush at all.
Anyone from Victoria, that may have an excess of materials or knowledge, or even both... would be awesome if you could get in touch, would be sweet to make a trip out to see how a live rig runs.

Apprentice wages with a fresh newborn will definitely hinder the speed of the build so dont expect anything to happen too quick, still sponging up all the info at this point
Wobbegong

equipment: 2" boka
2" pot
50ltr keg boiler
FSD controller
IBC cooling system

Re: Gday from Melburn

Postby The Stig » Sat May 28, 2022 5:36 pm

Welcome Gong
Patients is good thing with this hobby and if your happy to TIG your well on your way.
Enjoy the rabbit hole your about to fly down
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Bob9863 » Sat May 28, 2022 6:51 pm

If you can tig then you golden on a keg build.
If you go a standard size keg then only go one element, it will be plenty enough and remember to put a tri clover fitting down the bottom for a tap, you could just tig a tap down there but being able to remove it for cleaning is a big help.
I've even put a tap or plug under the keg and cut a hole in my bench for it to fit to aid in draining the still, with a 1.5" tri clover fitting on the top you can hose it out in place or fill it up without removing anything for when you want to do multiple runs at once.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Postby Hick1960 » Sun May 29, 2022 8:37 am

Welcome Wobbegong
Looking forward to following your journey. I started with a T500 and in a very short time have progressed through varies builds to now owning a FSD 5 plate bubbler. It’s a very addictive hobby. You’ll find a wealth of information here and plenty of guys and gals willing to give their advise.
For what it’s worth, the keg boiler I built has 2 2400w elements with a power controller on one. A full charge still takes about an hour to heat, especially now it’s cold here in vic. I also put a drain right at the bottom of the keg, a 90 deg bend with the tap coming out below the keg. It drains completely but I did have to build a stand to sit it on. I made that stand with wheels so it’s easy to manoeuvre around the shed.
Enjoy your journey mate.

Cheers Steve
Hick1960

equipment: Turbo 500
2” pot with Shotgun condenser
2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Postby Wellsy » Mon May 30, 2022 9:52 am

Welcome mate, lots to advise you on here.

I have no build skills so was lucky to start with five star gear which is fantastic.

Have fun and ask questions mate and you can’t go wrong
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wobbegong » Tue May 31, 2022 10:12 am

So after doing a couple days of reading to get an understanding of the difference between VM, LM and CM, I've decided to go with a CM..

3" column 1200-1500 long in Cu
3" dephlegm s/s
3" Lyne arm
3" shotgun PC
Reducing down to a parrot

For ease of operating, might make another column 600 odd long for running pot still mode
Everything will be modular,

Keggle will be 2x 3000w ulwd elements, controller for one, flick off second one once we're warm.
Haven't decided whether to flip the keg and use the 2" Sankey as the drain or to cut that out for a bigger ferrule for column, dont love the look of a chopped ring but understand the practicality of having handles on the damn thing.
4" fill/clean port , haven't asked any suppliers but haven't found a 6" ferrule available, though if I can get hold of one I'll definitely go that way as I'm not a skinny bloke.

Thanks for the advice so far, definitely be putting a drain on it, with a lockable ball valve so I don't accidentally empty my boiler.

I'm thinking for the water lines, to keep them neat and tidy, running some cable tray and using 12mm John guest style connectors to a needle valve , from what I've read, controlling the coolant can be fiddly and I'm thinking with the higher pressure/lower OD tube , it might make the cooling adjustments with a needle valve almost immediate? (We'll see)

For now, I'm researching the lengths of the dephlegm and PC , for ease of fabrication I'll be using stainless end caps (haven't decided on the baffles, think It may be easier to braze then in with copper, copper vapour tubes with stainless shell .

Seperate input/outputs for each condenser,

I think that about sums up the game plan,

I have a bit of 3mm and 1.6mm stainless sheet in the shed, left a few of my marking tools at work (will be popping in Thursday) so might have the chance to design and mark out the end plates before going back to work. :happy-partydance:

If anyone has any opinions or ideas on the build, I'd be happy to listen as I've not started yet , just think for the versatility I'm after, a modular cm will serve me well.
Wobbegong

2" pot
50ltr keg boiler
FSD controller
IBC cooling system

Postby The Stig » Tue May 31, 2022 10:51 am

The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wobbegong » Tue May 31, 2022 11:09 am

im afraid the depth of that ferrule is not long enough to scallop around the keg. Also, i dont mean to be rude but over 50$ for a ferrule is waaay too much for me. I'm in the piping/tube industry , what i should have said is my local tube suppliers don't have one in stock. Regardless, appreciate the prompt response, thanks for the link.
Wobbegong

2" pot
50ltr keg boiler
FSD controller
IBC cooling system

Postby Esi spirits » Tue May 31, 2022 6:44 pm

I found it just as cheap to use the local destill fora25 boiler reflux setup than making my own it’s getting that way these days
Esi spirits

equipment: Don’t have 1 just looking into it

Postby Wobbegong » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:44 pm

I think in total, the boiler will cost me around $300, thats a 50l keg kettle, be hard up finding equivalent for under $600.
2x 2400 elements,
2x controllers,
1x 6" access
1x 4" column ferrule
all the clamps seals and reducers to start coming up in 3"

Just waiting for parts to come in now, will start polishing the keg tomorrow, start thinking about locations for the access hatch and elements, see how this 304 keg welds... :happy-partydance:
Wobbegong

2" pot
50ltr keg boiler
FSD controller
IBC cooling system

Postby The Stig » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:05 pm

Yiu don’t need 2 controllers unless your wanting a spare just in case
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wobbegong » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:29 am

I ended up buying the controllers before I got the elements. Was gonna go bigger elements so I got weird eBay controllers, wasn't sure about them so bought 2, I don't they're gonna be much chop and could let me down. Should've went with the one you list, seem to be tried and tested ..
Wobbegong

2" pot
50ltr keg boiler
FSD controller
IBC cooling system

Postby Bob9863 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:44 pm

I got one from kegland and it's been faultless.

I've also found that you only need one element in a keg, I ran two in a 60lt milk can but even then it was too hot, it heated up fast then I would switch to just the one element but I found it made the likker a bit harsh.
Low and slow is the key in my book.

But don't take my word for it, try both and then try one and see if it makes a difference in your system.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Postby Wobbegong » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up bob, think I read somewhere else you mentioning that , suppose I'll have a spare element and controller ..
Wobbegong

2" pot
50ltr keg boiler
FSD controller
IBC cooling system

Postby The Stig » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:09 pm

We always put 2 x 2400 in a 50L boiler to bring it up to temp quicker , then depending on the still size turn one off or leave one on full and controller the second one .
A 4” x 4 plate will run best at around 3000w - 35000w
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Bob9863 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:22 pm

I haven't played with 4" stuff other then the bubble plate then reducer on mine, pretty much stuck to 2" and 1.5" stuff so they could very well run differently.

But having both elements it's easy to try both ways out and see what works for you and your system, one thing I have learnt is there are many ways to reach the same destination when it comes to this hobby, and there's, only a few black and white rules and the rest is up to the operator to figure out what works for them.

I know I do things very differently to my mates that are in the hobby.
Bob9863

5lt copper pot still

Postby Wobbegong » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:18 pm

I'm planning a 3" column so the extra watts might come in handy, all these bubbler builds are awesome..

Have I overlooked something? I feel like I've read that a 3" column will be good but second guessing myself when I see most columns are 2" and 4"
Wobbegong

2" pot
50ltr keg boiler
FSD controller
IBC cooling system

Postby Wobbegong » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:50 pm

Hey all, almost finished the kettle, dual low watt density elements, two controllers one for backup .. hopefully wrap it up this weekend (family permitting)

Have decided to go for a pre made column, a bokabob from a guy in QLD, looks like a good unit and should suit me until I'm ready to build something skitz...

Now time to acquire a fermenter or two and sort out the cooling water, a 200ltr drum should suit with some small ass submersible pump...

See how I go .
Wobbegong

2" pot
50ltr keg boiler
FSD controller
IBC cooling system

Postby RC Al » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:05 pm

I would be surprised if you find the 200l adequate.

I used one for my 5l still, 3rd stripping run was touch n go
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Wobbegong » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:42 pm

Maybe with a cheap fleabay radiator/fan and a decent circ pump hmm
Wobbegong

2" pot
50ltr keg boiler