Hi There All

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi There All

Postby 4runnin » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:04 am

Hi all ive been a member for a couple of weeks now and have just done my first post in the warehouse section, i have been over whelmed by the loads and quality of the info you guys have on here, still trying to decide on what i'm going to make as my first reflux still (i know a 2" pot will be the first still build) but trying to decide if i should do a 2" LM or 2" VM or combo :text-lol:

anyway enough rambling from me for now

P.S shame to see youare going to be an absentee for a bit Mcstill but good luck with you big move coming up.
4runnin

equipment: 2 inch Pot Still, 50L gas powered keg boiler, 2 inch LM/VM almost ready

Re: Hi There All

Postby MacStill » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:11 am

Welcome to the forum 4runnin, a 2" pot is a great place to start & a 2" bok LM is about as easy to build as you can get while still being a great rig to run.

I wont be absent for long ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crozdog » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:44 am

welcome

if you're pretty new to construction - or haven't made anything for a while, making a 2" pot will refine your skills & don't take long to make.

Like Mcstills says a 2" bok is easy to make & will output high abv. i found pirtec had needle valves.

It really depends on what you want to make cause a column is only good for highly refined spirits like vodka & gin whereas a pot can be used for stripping runs as well as flavoured products like rum & whiskey.

I made a 2" bok first before making a pot & a VM. Wish I'd made a pot first - they're easier to run & you'll learn about cuts much easier.
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby QLD.Andy » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:30 am

croz is correct but............
Build the 2 inch pot to get a feel then dont muck around, just build a 3 inch bok cos a 2 inch will just frustrate you when running
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby Kal » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Welcome mate!

Love the job description on your profile :text-lol:
Kal

equipment: 50L keg boiler
2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby busman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:01 am

QLD.Andy wrote:dont muck around, just build a 3 inch bok cos a 2 inch will just frustrate you when running

:text-yeahthat: :text-+1: :text-goodpost:

I built a 2" VM, the first time I ran it was all "wow, check out how much booze this thing puts out!", the second time I ran it I was like "fuck this is slow, I should have built it in 3" :doh:

Unfortunately Mrs busman will kill me if I build another one :laughing-rolling:
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby 4runnin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Thanks for the welcomes guy's

crozdog wrote:Like Mcstills says a 2" bok is easy to make & will output high abv. i found pirtec had needle valves.

It really depends on what you want to make cause a column is only good for highly refined spirits like vodka & gin whereas a pot can be used for stripping runs as well as flavoured products like rum & whiskey.

i want to eventually want to make both neutrals and flavoureds, thanks for the tip on the needle valves will check them out in the next few days

QLD.Andy wrote:croz is correct but............
Build the 2 inch pot to get a feel then dont muck around, just build a 3 inch bok cos a 2 inch will just frustrate you when running

i don't mind the time as will give me more of an excuse to stay in the shed longer :text-lol: and i already have 3 meters of 50mm tube nearly have the rest of the stuff to build both, still like the idea of the combo LM/VM like the thought of pulling foreshots, heads and tails off the LM and hearts only out the VM :)

Kal wrote:Love the job description on your profile

It's true Kal just go to a train station in peak hour and watch them they are no different to cattle being loaded on truck :text-lol:
4runnin

equipment: 2 inch Pot Still, 50L gas powered keg boiler, 2 inch LM/VM almost ready

Return to Welcome Centre