Has anyone tried for a permit as a genuine hobbyist?

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Has anyone tried for a permit as a genuine hobbyist?

Postby OzzyChef » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:02 pm

warramungas wrote:
Plumby wrote:Not funny man

Well it was supposed to be. If it wasn't I'll try and tone down my sense of humor from now on.

Might be wrong but I think plumby was referring to Undertakers comments..?
OzzyChef

equipment: 2 inch copper pot still and 2" copper offset reflux still
30l turbo boilervand 50l keg boiler under construction

Postby warramungas » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:37 am

Maybe Ozzy. I am feeling a bit sensitive this evening. Dealing with a complete shithead at work. Sorry, as a supervisor I should say "highly valued employee that having been here for a full 2 years should be in management as he knows f**king everything better than I do".
I remember a time when gentlemen with differing opinions found their workable compromise around the back of a shed.
Not acceptable nowadays even though it feels warranted sometimes.
Apologies if I took it the wrong way.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Plumby » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 am

Its OK warra i was probably a bit blunt myself. Sutle as a sledge hammer as usual :laughing-rolling:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:57 am

warramungas wrote:Maybe Ozzy. I am feeling a bit sensitive this evening. Dealing with a complete shithead at work. Sorry, as a supervisor I should say "highly valued employee that having been here for a full 2 years should be in management as he knows f**king everything better than I do".
I remember a time when gentlemen with differing opinions found their workable compromise around the back of a shed.
Not acceptable nowadays even though it feels warranted sometimes.
Apologies if I took it the wrong way.

George Carlin — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.'
Workable compromise around the back of a shed does not work if they come from a Pacific Island and have problems walking through door ways.
wynnum1

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:09 am

Ease up lads, we're all on the same side here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby tassiespirit » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:11 pm

First of all thanks for the welcome. It is good to be amongst like minded hobbyists.
Second, when the thread first disappeared I thought I made my first mistake by asking the wrong question. Glad for the input from you all.
Down here in the southern state here, the local shops say there are many hobbyists and quite a few boys in blue, who are their best customers.

I am looking at get some equipment to start up, but there ain't no local builders that I know of, here. So, I might have to go the build my own or buy a standard ready made.

Although, I am a novice and am still reading alot, one minute seems simple enough, then the next minute it is so complex.
Again, thanks for the feed back.......

tassiespirit
tassiespirit

equipment: Got a small reflux, need to sort things out for a Pot style as well.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:12 am

Simple enough to build your own mate... what spirits are you planning on making?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby tassiespirit » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:45 am

I am into Bourbon mainly, Blantons and Wild Turkey Rare Breed, love the taste and aroma in the glass more than the ABV. I usually let the the WT sit a long time before drinking; I don't mix drinks unless I have something offered in a can or bottle.
My wife is a Midori or Irish Cream girl. While her sister is a White rum drinker from QLD - you know the type lol :happy-partydance:
So, Being a novice, and not done any "mash" style wash before let alone any wash, I have been told that the Alembic style still is more advanced but better for Bourbon styles; and of course other Whiskies, rums etc.

I have been given a still design (reflux) that has a variable outlet setup , to allow for the vapors to recirculate say 9 times before exiting. Has anyone had experience with this style of reflux? Or should I ask this in an other area?

Thanks

Tassie
tassiespirit

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:28 pm

You just want a simple pot still mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby tassiespirit » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:36 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: Sounds good.
tassiespirit

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:You just want a simple pot still mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yes but his wife likes girly drinks, I'd vote for a bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft: got to keep the missus happily drunk :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby EziTasting » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Yes but his wife likes girly drinks, I'd vote for a bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft: got to keep the missus happily drunk :laughing-rolling:

:text-+1: TPW @ 200L keeps them busy making and experimenting and happily allowing us to enjoy messing about with what we want... and as ours needs aging, we dutifully (read gratefully) accept any tasters coming our way... :D
Happy wife, Happy stilling! It doesn't rhyme but who gives a ..., am I right!?!?! :music-deathmetal:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby tassiespirit » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:14 pm

So much wisdom I have found already on these pages, I read and dutifully obey. Happy wife, happy stilling...................

Oh a bubbler ............mmmmmmm.
More reading , me thinks.
tassiespirit

Postby Professor Green » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:46 pm

No need to start out straight away with a bubbler if you have aspirations of getting one eventually. Start out with a modular pot and use that as a base on which to build the bubbler piece by piece as and when you can.

Cheers.
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby tassiespirit » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:32 pm

Professor Green wrote:No need to start out straight away with a bubbler if you have aspirations of getting one eventually. Start out with a modular pot and use that as a base on which to build the bubbler piece by piece as and when you can.

Cheers.
Prof. Green.

Professor,
Sure, but you would have to consider that in the beginning wouldn't you. Like how to attach it later or don't worry , just start with a reflux?? (Please excuse my ignorance ) Then cut and shut later on?! Or Just take it apart and start again with the parts plus the boiler, then later increase the boiler when required.
tassiespirit

Postby warramungas » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:47 pm

Work out what you want and go from there.
I've been doing this as a hobby for, well I'm not sure exactly but I think I started in 2002. I've wasted 15 years mucking around with substandard gear when I could've been making better stuff the whole time with help from the web.
I personally say get a 100 liter keg or boiler with at least 2x 2400 watt elements and a power controller for one of them. I wish I had when I started. You don't need to fill it to run it. My minimum is 25 liters in mine. I haven't heard anyone complain their boiler is too big and they're going to get a smaller one. Have heard the other way around many times though.
You can attach a 2" reflux or pot still if you want to. Be slow to run 100 liters through the reflux though. But you could strip quick with the pot and do a spirit run later.
Depends too on how much spirit you need or want. A 4" can do a great job and you can gradually build one up on your boiler. Piece by piece.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Wineleader » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:14 am

If you have an existing liquor license and registered for GST it's not difficult to get a license from the tax department to distill commercially though there are lots of hoops to jump through. Bonded areas in the premises, written processes to be written. Health and safety procedures. The tax department are very helpful in giving advise.
I was looking into it for some winemaker friends of mine... They were telling me that a lot of micro distillers are starting with Gin with many buying in the spirit from Tarac ect.
Wineleader

equipment: T500 and matching pot still

Postby Professor Green » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:58 am

tassiespirit wrote:
Professor Green wrote:No need to start out straight away with a bubbler if you have aspirations of getting one eventually. Start out with a modular pot and use that as a base on which to build the bubbler piece by piece as and when you can.

Cheers.
Prof. Green.

Professor,
Sure, but you would have to consider that in the beginning wouldn't you. Like how to attach it later or don't worry , just start with a reflux?? (Please excuse my ignorance ) Then cut and shut later on?! Or Just take it apart and start again with the parts plus the boiler, then later increase the boiler when required.

That's why we push the modular angle. It's like lego but for booze.

This us getting way off topic, perhaps one our mods could split this off into another thread?

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby Sam. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:37 am

It's a welcome thread, the OP can fill it with whatever they want :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Professor Green » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:46 am

Goodo.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome Centre