Hi from Moby

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Moby

Postby Moby » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:51 am

Sooooo - looks like I've done fuct up :oops: My story (not a lot different to a few it seems) - got keen - did some googling - cruised down to the HBS and got sold onto the idea of making neutrals with a T500 using Turbos and flavouring up with SS essence :clap:
Was pretty stoked with my first couple of runs (just cos they actually produced something) and then figured I'd go hunt down some like minded hobbyists and found AD. Got to reading through the Forum and started getting that sinking feeling you get when you know you done fuct up but not sure entirely why just yet :shifty:

Anyway - have spent the last few days reading through as much of the info on here that I can and looks like I'll use the T500 for a few quaffers (at least I can save on HBS trips now I know about TPW) and try to move onto some serious distilling down the track. From what I gather - I'm gonna need a pot still if I wanna do stripping runs/spirit runs and then need to start focussing on cuts... hopefully will find what I need once I spend some more time here.

On a side note - and I know this shits the pro's to tears (and that I'll one day regret this) - I have been pretty damn happy with my first tries.
I've been discarding the first 500ml of my run (over cautious) and cutting the run short (more due to impatience than actual knowledge) then keeping everything else from the T500. I end up with about 3.5L at 92% ABV, air it out for a couple days water it down and put it through carbon filter *yeah - I know now that I need to avoid the plastic - lesson learnt..... I then mix it up and air my mixing jars every few days (trying to replicate angel's share). I've used SS essences and Oak for most of my blends ranging from American Oak (Bourbon stave chunks) to my own roasted shavings of French Oak (approx 10 to 14 days on Oak) and I've been pretty fkn happy with the results... still shits all over store bought crap IMO :D

Sorry to rave on - look forward to meeting yas! Cheers!
Moby

equipment: Reflux still T500

Re: Hi from Moby

Postby The Dark Alchemist » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:35 pm

Welcome!! Nice avatar..... :greetings-waveyellow:

I did the same, but found this site before running my turbos - I still have all the raw materials at home unused!!!!

There is a wealth on this site, so read read and read some more. A year later, I am super happy with what I am producing, and so are my friends!!!!
The Dark Alchemist

equipment: FSD 200L Milk Can
FSD 4" Pot Still
FSD Neutraliser
Copper T-500

Postby Moby » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:33 pm

Cheers mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Moby

Postby Professor Green » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:01 pm

Welcome Moby.

Have a read of this So you bought a home brew shop still...... to help you get the best from your T500. They're not that bad, just some folks out grow them fairly quickly.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Arismac » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:37 pm

I joined the forum shortly after I purchased a T500. It is only quite recently that I have "upgrade" to "show off" level. So for the last couple of years I have enjoyed the fruits of the T500 and am quite happy. Mr D. Murphy is probably not so happy, but who cares? Well perhaps I should as I own some Woolies shares, but I don't. Welcome Moby..
Last edited by Arismac on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Postby Sam. » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Welcome here mate, sounds like your a fast learner so you will be knocking out some real quality booze in no time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Moby » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:09 am

Cheers guys. Gonna get started on my first TPW today and then organise a second fermenter so I can start a second one in a few days. Then I can start staggering!!
Moby

Postby The Stig » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:08 pm

Welcome Moby.
I keep wanting to change your avatar to more suit your name
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by The Stig on Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Professor Green » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 pm

That second one's a pisser!
:laughing-rolling:
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby The Stig » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:34 pm

I must be the only one old enough to know who Mobi is :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:36 pm

Lol, gday moby. i Started with a t500 and went from there.
Enjoy the learning curve
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:26 pm

The Stig wrote:I must be the only one old enough to know who Mobi is :laughing-rolling:

why does my heart feel so bad...why does my soul feel so sad.... :laughing-rolling:
welcome moby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby woodduck » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:35 am

Welcome moby :greetings-waveyellow:

If your happy with what your doing now you'll make a mess in your pants once you've done a TPW with cuts.

Keep a bottle of the stuff you've just done and don't drink it until you have done at least 5 runs of tpw with cuts then do a comparison, it will blow your mind :laughing-rolling:

Best of luck mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre