Hello and cheers!

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello and cheers!

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:35 am

Hello everyone,

For Christmas I was gifted "Home Distilling Handbook" by Christopher G. Yorke, M.Ed. It's an American book that "was written for beginning distillers who want to learn the complete process of making high quality whiskey and other spirits." It's a very good book that teaches the "old school" way of making whiskey and spirits from a grain wash with an alembic pot still.

To say I was intrigued would be an understatement. I read the book in about 2 days and then started looking online for a suitable still and related equipment. I'm mainly interested in producing spirits the "old school" grain wash method, but also interested in steam distilling essential oils as well.

I've had previous home brew beer brewing with a mate some years ago, mainly from beer kits from HBS but also some experience distilling using his T500 (original SS column model). We kind of parted ways after I moved, but I do remember a trip to the supermarket to get a few kilos of sugar and some tomato paste and did wonder why the hell he was using tomato paste!!

Anyhow, after researching online for a few days (mostly HBS websites) I settled on a T500 kit with the copper reflux column condenser and since the HBS had a special on, I also bought the alembic pot head and "Liebig" condenser - that was all before I found this forum 8-} (lol, I can hear the snickering from the experienced guys already) The deal also included a 30L fermenter, some sanitising gear, alcometer, hydrometer, some essences and a Turbo pack with "everything you need for your first batch". :o

Since joining the forum I'm glad I've read the "Running a T500, the Proper Way" post and thread and also "So you bought a home brew shop still......" post, as well as most of the stuff in the Newbies Corner. I'll definitely be taking that advice, thank you to the OPs :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Looking forward to it... :D
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Re: Hello and cheers!

Postby Sam. » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:24 pm

Welcome here mate, good work having a proper read of the forum, all the information is here just sometimes it’s a matter of stumbling across it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:36 pm

Welcome to the forum mate, I started out much like you before finding this forum. Then it changed my whole way of thinking. Keep reading up and ask away any questions you have, we’re all here to help :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:46 pm

Welcome to AD.

It might be worth Starting off with one of the cereal based recipes from the tried and proven section before you explore the all grain route just so you can learn your still with something that is cheaper to make. The bonus of this of course is that it gives you something to drink whilst you do it. WBAB is great place to start and it also makes an excellent neutral.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby andybear » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:46 am

Welcome Tesla, I started the same way with the T500. It's a good way to dip ya toes into the hobby I reckon. Keep up the reading and you can start answering our questions soon enough. Cheers
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby db1979 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:14 am

Welcome. :text-+1: on what professor said. Start off small and make gradual changes to your process to get to your end goal of all grain. There's lots to learn that can't be done with a book or reading and the simpler cereal washes are a great way to learn.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby woodduck » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:38 pm

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

Best of luck mate. You have a good end goal in sight, it might take a while but you'll get there.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Tesla101 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:15 am

Thanks for all the warm welcomes guys!

I'll definitely be taking it slow in the beginning and I'm very much a learn by doing type of guy.

Professor Green wrote:Welcome to AD.

It might be worth Starting off with one of the cereal based recipes from the tried and proven section before you explore the all grain route just so you can learn your still with something that is cheaper to make. The bonus of this of course is that it gives you something to drink whilst you do it. WBAB is great place to start and it also makes an excellent neutral.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Thanks for the tip Prof., looks like a great place to start :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Return to Welcome Centre