G'day from Yorke Peninsula SA

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day from Yorke Peninsula SA

Postby Daylewce » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:02 pm

Just thought I'd say g'day and thanks for letting me join. While waiting to be accepted I have read and learnt a lot already.
I started with the ol' Super Reflux Still and like most starting out, knew nothing apart from the manufacturers instructions. Now that I reflect, I made some pretty ordinary product ( :handgestures-thumbdown: ).
Recently I retired the Super Reflux and purchased a T500 (before being introduced to this forum) and have been using Turbo washes mixed with turbo carbon and turbo clearing etc. :roll: ;
So, now I am busy modifying my T500 to get rid of as much plastic as possible and about to make my first TPW and run through the T500 (the right way).
I am also looking at slightly modifying the ol super reflux to become my stripping still
Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. I will try to be as active as I can (if people are interested) but have a 2 year old son which takes up a lot of time so:
'All in good time' - as it should be

Cheers,
Daylewce

equipment: Turbo 500 Still; previously Super Reflux which I am considering modifying and using for Strip runs

Re: G'day from Yorke Peninsula SA

Postby db1979 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:07 pm

Welcome mate, enjoy the forum, lots of great stuff on here. Make sure you get stuck into the newbie corner :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Professor Green » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:33 pm

Welcome Daylewce.

This and the threads linked within will be a good starting point for getting the best out of your T500.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby dans.brew » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:40 pm

Welcome mate! :greetings-waveyellow:
Daylewce wrote:I will try to be as active as I can (if people are interested) but have a 2 year old son which takes up a lot of time so:
'All in good time' - as it should be
Cheers,

I'm hearing you mate, kids chew up the spare time. Would have it any other way though... :think:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby woodduck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 am

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

You've made some massive improvements by the sounds of it. Looks like your on the right path. Little steps and plenty of reading and you'll have it down pat in no time.

Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Daylewce » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:11 pm

Stripping run through Super Reflux.

So, I have taken my old Super Reflux out of retirement…

The having a 2-year-old kid thing has held me up quite a bit; but since my first post I have managed to ferment a TPW and have just finished stripping it using the super reflux (modified)

Going in, I had no idea how to run my cooling / water flow rates etc. I soon found out that you need quite a large volume of water…. After my initial flow rate of 800 ml/min, the distillate was coming out at 70°C (not cool). I had to up the water to about 6L/min to get the distillate down to around 30-35°C.
Anyway, I kept running until i hit 15-20 abv, then shut it off. Took around 4 hours and got 6.5L of low wines with an average abv of 43%

Overall, good first attempt I think but I am keen to hear others opinions / happy to answer questions.
I have included photos of the setup (I still need to replace some plastic with copper but using glass collection containers now not plastic)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daylewce

equipment: Turbo 500 Still; previously Super Reflux which I am considering modifying and using for Strip runs

Return to Welcome Centre