G'day From Heffers

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day From Heffers

Postby Heffers » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Howdy all,

I’ve been having a bit of a read of this site over the last few days and reckon that it’s tip top so I wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

I’m fairly new to distilling but in saying that I have just finished making my second still and think that I’m nearly happy with the design (I’ll post details in the appropriate section when I get a chance).

I got into distilling with the simple goal of chasing better a quality of drink (read hangover avoidance) and having a bit of fun with discovering different flavours.

I’m still using sugar/turbo washes until I can really get to know my setup and then I’ll concentrate on some more organic washes and getting some nice rums on the boil.

I also want to look into ageing both in jars with oak chunks and also getting myself a nice barrel to play around with (wife take note). I dare say that there will be plenty of questions coming at you all from me over the months and hopefully in time I can provide a few answers aswell.

Till then, cheers,
Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Re: G'day From Heffers

Postby bassb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi Heffers

Welcome to the forum,You have come to right place for good info advice. Macstill and Spud1700 are great helpers with distilling Oils info :lol: (code name alcohol) :lol:

Cheers
Bassb
bassb

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:37 pm

Nice intro Heffers, and welcome to the forum :)

So what type of still is the new addition?

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Heffers » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:50 pm

It's a simple full stainless steel reflux tower. It's 1 metre tall and 70mm ID. I pack the column with stainless pot scrubbers to about 800mm and has a 3/8th copper coil that is about 180mm long.

I ran it for the first time last night (prematurely because I still have some plumbing issues to sort out but I couldn't wait.) and was impressed. It's sitting on a 50L keg with a 2200w stainles rod type element. Just playing around with water flow to the tower cooling coil allowed me to put the still into total reflux which I was happy about but it is very touchy as far as user input / still output goes. In any case it was pulling 93 at a fairly cracking pace. I think that pulling the packing out and slowing the flow to the cooling coil will possibly give me a fantastic still to use come time for rum runs. (maybe)
Heffers

2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Sounds awesome, looking forward to seeing pics so I can see the design type.

Most stills are pretty touchy in the take off and cooling department, but once you get a few runs under your belt with it you'll know where and how to set things.

Sounds like you're well on your way :D

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:52 pm

G'day Heffers.........good to meet ya amd hope you enjoy your time here
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby reknaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Welcome to the board :) looking forward to seeing the pics, love pics of stills :)
reknaw

Postby Heffers » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Spud1700 wrote:love pics of stills :)

So I hear Spud, I'll try and get some up as soon as my techno weenie wife will teach me how to post photos. I'll also post some pics of "Frankestein" my first still making effort, wholey crap that thing was dodgy (but hygenic)
Heffers

2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby reknaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:36 pm

As long as it works you can't go wrong :)
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:37 pm

I seem to remember Spud saying "he" was going to do a picture posting tutorial :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby reknaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Yeah I should probably do that one day :) OK you have shamed me into it I'll start a thread.
reknaw

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Spud1700 wrote:Yeah I should probably do that one day :) OK you have shamed me into it I'll start a thread.

Not sure if I should say sorry or thankyou? :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Return to Welcome Centre