Returning Newbie

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Returning Newbie

Postby CarlF » Mon May 10, 2021 9:04 pm

Ok more for my benefit than anyone else's I just tested the two washes that I had put down as the one that was active has stopped going off its head and stopped bubbling. I took SG and alcometer readings of both and they went as follows

Ferment No.1 SG 990
ABV 15-16%
I forgot to put any citric acid in this one during putting it down

Ferment No.2 SG 990
ABV 8-10%
And yes citric was added

This ferment No.2 had a dose of citric and a residual of yeast (20 grams maybe) added a day or two later as I thought it had stalled (as yet to confirm)
might start the stripping run on both ferments in the air still in the next day or so.

I'll keep ya posted.
CarlF

equipment: Airstill x 2

Postby CarlF » Mon May 17, 2021 10:23 am

Gidday
Ok as promised here’s the update . Sorry it’s been a while but life being life things get in the way and well I got sidetracked but ...
Anyhoo here it goes as follows, 1st fermenter completed stripping run in the airstill and have returned 54%avg ABV collecting 700mls per 4lt of wash.
The 2nd fermenter which as you may recall that I had to “mess with” has thus far provided me with a quite acceptable (in my view) result of 52% ABV in the first 4lt batch run through the airstill and collection was ceased at 600mls (still running it)

So all in all I’m fairly pleased with the results so far and now to try expanding my horizons a little and trying something new.
As I have two fermenters I may even run two different recipes side by side and hopefully get as objective comparison.

anyway guys (and any gals) that’s me out for a bit will be keeping this post going so bear with me.

Still tryin
CarlF
CarlF

Postby bluc » Mon May 17, 2021 11:13 am

If final gravity is .990 it didnt stall.
Btw sg is starting gravity and fg is final gravity. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby CarlF » Mon May 17, 2021 3:14 pm

Cheers bluc,
SG and FG :handgestures-thumbupleft: good tip.
you blokes are showing me the ropes big time and yes terminology is very important too, I guess it can make or break a description or recipe. And here I was thinking SG was Specific Gravity. :angry-banghead:
I got myself a refractometer as well so yet another toy to help me in my journey. As you mentioned I think the wash didn't stall it was most likely a faulty seal me thinks on the fermenter.

Still trying
CarlF
CarlF

Postby Sam. » Tue May 18, 2021 11:38 am

SG can be specific or starting gravity just to be confusing.

I prefer OG and FG being original and finished and leave SG as specific. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby The Stig » Tue May 18, 2021 2:34 pm

Sam. wrote:SG can be specific or starting gravity just to be confusing.

I prefer OG and FG being original and finished and leave SG as specific. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Same when im talking to people
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Tue May 18, 2021 4:36 pm

I get totally confused about the different sorts of gravity, I just know one sort has suddenly moved into the shed and is destroying my alcometers, none in 8 months then 3 in as many weeks. I think I will call F Gravity and let you guys work it out :teasing-tease:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby CarlF » Wed May 19, 2021 10:48 am

Gravity sucks according to skydivers :laughing-rolling:
CarlF

Postby howard » Wed May 19, 2021 11:17 am

CarlF wrote:Gravity sucks according to skydivers :laughing-rolling:

talking of gravity, how's your digiboil/power controller/water setup progressing?
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby bluc » Wed May 19, 2021 1:27 pm

Yea dam what was I thinking :handgestures-thumbdown:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Sam. » Wed May 19, 2021 2:44 pm

bluc wrote:

Yea dam what was I thinking :handgestures-thumbdown:

It's different all over the place, there doesn't seem to be a real constant so there is no wondering why it gets confused :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby CarlF » Sat May 22, 2021 10:47 pm

howard wrote:

talking of gravity, how's your digiboil/power controller/water setup progressing?

Gidday Howard yeah as yet untested but will let you know how it goes as soon as I do. hopefully it will work as per plan.
CarlF

Postby CarlF » Wed May 26, 2021 9:45 pm

howard wrote:

Still to be tried out Howard but rest assured I’ll be reporting on it soo nearly got enough for an alcohol run.
CarlF

Postby rushn » Thu May 27, 2021 1:58 pm

Hey Carl. I have a 35L Digiboil and a FM reflux still similar to yours. You CANNOT run a power controller on the Digiboil without first modding the electronics on the boiler to bypass the built-in temp controller. Power controllers are designed for direct use on resistive elements, lowering the voltage delivered for less resistance, ergo less heat generated. The Digiboil's electronics will interfere with the power controller's input, constantly attempting to adjust power to the elements. You could end up with some cooked electronics.

With the PD Reflux still, you have 'slow' mode and 'open' mode, adjusted via the ball valve. There's no real need to play with power input with these types of stills*, as the restrictive valve handles the amount of reflux, therefore the amount of product exiting.

*You will need to shut down the 500W element once your boiler is up to temp, and run on the 1900W element only during the run. Failure to do so will likely result in a flooded condenser, and you'll have the top of your still puking 90%+ alcohol all over the place. I wished they'd simply put two 1200W elements in, as I reckon 1900W is still too much, and the 500W isn't quite enough.

Don't ask me how I know all this stuff :shock:

Water flow through the condenser is also not that important, assuming it's enough. As long as you have sufficient flow, there's no adjustment necessary. If you're using a pump, just run it flat out - it will make no difference to the product. If you still is anything like mine, there'll be a lot of restriction in the condenser, so a pump with reasonably high pressure is required. I tried a submersible pond pump with a 5 metre head rating, and I barely got a trickle exiting the condenser :shock: I ended up running a 100PSI diaphragm pump.

Cheers
Last edited by rushn on Thu May 27, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rushn

equipment: Modular SS on Digiboil

Postby CarlF » Thu May 27, 2021 4:09 pm

Gidday rushn,
Cheers for that advice mate, Howard was kind enuff to show me how he had wired up his boiler but as I’m a bit of a numpty when it comes to electronics I was simply gonna just plug mine in to the wall and the digiboil into it. x_x
Well I have digressed and decided to put the controller in the cupboard for the time being and go with your suggestion of turning the 500W element off when temp is reached and monitor it. Also will use mains water pressure to provide coolant and save post condenser in my drums for watering the garden later.
Here’s a big THANKS to all you guys for putting up with my ramblings and for all the advice, I am grateful for it all believe me.
As I write this post I’m actually starting my stripping run on fermenter 3 so results will follow in the next day or two.
CarlF

Postby rushn » Thu May 27, 2021 10:04 pm

CarlF wrote:Gidday rushn,
Cheers for that advice mate, Howard was kind enuff to show me how he had wired up his boiler but as I’m a bit of a numpty when it comes to electronics I was simply gonna just plug mine in to the wall and the digiboil into it. x_x
Well I have digressed and decided to put the controller in the cupboard for the time being and go with your suggestion of turning the 500W element off when temp is reached and monitor it. Also will use mains water pressure to provide coolant and save post condenser in my drums for watering the garden later.
Here’s a big THANKS to all you guys for putting up with my ramblings and for all the advice, I am grateful for it all believe me.
As I write this post I’m actually starting my stripping run on fermenter 3 so results will follow in the next day or two.

Yeah, good stuff Carl. Keep an eye on the condenser water outlet temp (just by feel), and reduce the flow accordingly so it’s coming out cool-ish. No need to waste water unnecessarily if you’re going to use mains. You’ll find you’ll need quite a low flow to keep the condenser knocking down the vapour - no need to run the tap flat out. I run mine at around 3L/min, and output temp isn’t much higher than input temp (3L/min is more than I need, but I allow a little extra for toilet flushes, the bride’s washing machine, etc.).

I have 100L of TPW wash to run this weekend - I’m looking forward to it.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
rushn

Postby CarlF » Fri May 28, 2021 7:06 pm

Rightyo fellas,
This is where my pain in the ass mode comes into play so ignore it if ya want but I’m gonna press my luck and pose a question or two here with regards to a spirit run in my reflux. Now just to refresh I’m gonna be running a 35l digiboil to feed a reflux. And I’m a virgin at using a reflux so please be patient. Now my questions start thus.
1. I’m looking at diluting the stripping run I have down to 40% from its current percentage of around 54+% to achieve 25l batches at 40%. Is this a correct thing to do or should I make it a lesser percentage for the boiler.
2. What amount should I discard or put aside for cleaning/adding to the next batch in the initial collection segment to capture all of the methanol. ie. foreshots
3. I’m going to use the .6mm flow control valve hole to collect for this particular exercise to increase ABV percentage of collection. Is this correct.
4. Assuming I can collect the appropriate percentage (I’m gonna use a parrot) at what ABV percentage should I cease collecting.
Anyhoo at this stage that’s all the questions I have for now, if anyone has a stage by stage guideline it would be much appreciated but I’m prepared to learn by trial and error if need be.

Anyway a big thanks to you all for your patience. I hope to do my run this weekend but the weather is not looking to great here in Perth and I want to do this outside predominately for safety reasons.
Still Tryin.
CarlF

Postby rushn » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:57 pm

Hey Carl, how'd you get on with the run?

I've only just got back online, so missed your list of queries, sorry. If you still need them answered, let me know.

Cheers,
rushn

Postby CarlF » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Gidday rushn,
Na still doing strip runs in between getting stuff done around the house so will be posting again soon hopefully. Sometimes marriage gets in the way too :doh:
Plus some dopey bugger has gone and misplaced his .6mm insert for my collection tube so waiting for a replacement from Vic. :pray:

Still tryin.
CarlF

Postby CarlF » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:45 am

Here’s a question that might cause a bit of a stir among the crowd.

Saddles - who uses em and if so what do they use, I’ve been told that a handful of stainless steel nuts or similar will do the job more than adequately.
Bearing in mind I’m gonna be using a digiboil 35litre and doing an alcohol run/s with 40% ABV that has already been stripped.
Apologies if this makes anyone cranky but I’ve put it up as a legitimate question because my old man always said “rather look a fool than be a fool” :wtf:
I look forward to any replies either constructive or humorous but please don’t steer me wrong as I’ve put a lot of time and effort into this.

On another note, a wee tip I can put forward - don’t pull your 30litre fermenter out of the warm cupboard using the tap as a handle. :naughty: Result a cracked fermenter and a loss of some wash in the process and a small mess to clean up. :doh: (Not too much thankfully)

Still tryin.
CarlF

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome Centre