Hi from Rocky

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Rocky

Postby Rocky4700 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:25 pm

Hello everyone

Feeling pretty lucky to find the site. I always wanted to get into distilling, as a hobby, and was ready to get T500, but thank god, I decided to spend a week trawling through aussie distillers :text-thankyoublue:

Currently in process of building a basic 1.5" pot :happy-partydance:
Rocky4700

equipment: Struggling to make 2" Pot still

Re: Hi from Rocky

Postby dans.brew » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:49 pm

Welcome! :greetings-waveyellow:
It really pays to research before you dive in and buy the wrong bit of gear for the job.
Are you hoping to make brown spirits?
Id prob round off and make a 2" pot.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Wellsy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:22 am

Welcome Rocky

Good luck on your journey mate, lots of experience here to help you in your build.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Rocky4700 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:10 pm

dans.brew wrote:Welcome! :greetings-waveyellow:
It really pays to research before you dive in and buy the wrong bit of gear for the job.

I would love to make whiskey/bourbon, but I understand, there is a steep curve to learn, will be starting with TPW, as it seems easiest : :text-lol:

I am using a 20L SS stock pot as a starting boiler, would that support 2" column?

Also, i was going to use brass fitting to attach 1.5" column to lid, I was advised brass fitting is 100% lead free, but reading more around here, seems like I shouldn't use it.

I am happy to go 2", but how will I connect it to SS lid?

Sorry for so many questions, consider me as a supernoobie :D
Rocky4700

Postby Wellsy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:34 pm

Can’t help with the build mate I am a pure shopper not builder.

If you are looking for a bourbon or whiskey I would strongly recommend the BWKO for a bourbon. Ferments fast and tastes great. WBAB is a super easy one and makes a nice whiskey if you do generations. The tried and proven section is full of simple recipes mate :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby BigRig » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:47 pm

Rocky4700 wrote:

I would love to make whiskey/bourbon, but I understand, there is a steep curve to learn, will be starting with TPW, as it seems easiest : :text-lol:

I am using a 20L SS stock pot as a starting boiler, would that support 2" column?

Also, i was going to use brass fitting to attach 1.5" column to lid, I was advised brass fitting is 100% lead free, but reading more around here, seems like I shouldn't use it.

Buy the turbo adapter from 5star. Get the seal and triclamp with it.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:09 pm

G'Day Rocky and welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now for your first still a 1.5" pot still would work and give you a good introduction into the craft but it will be slow running, think about finding a 50 litre keg and a 2" tri-clamp fit straight to the the top outlet and use a crab burner along with a hp reg for the heating then just use the big green shed lpg bottles as I find they will do 2.5 to 3 runs with my 4" still and I did find making my own BD burner cut down on the gas used and the heat output raised by a factor of heaps.

As you said you like brown spirits go have a look at my thread on malting my own barely to get a few tips and you will be off and running with the best drop from the startup. :handgestures-thumbupleft: but be preprared to wait 12 months for it age :laughing-rolling:

Most of all mate read read and did I a say read :laughing-rolling: and any question just throw them at us as we were all at this stage when most of us started.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby dans.brew » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:28 pm

Rocky4700 wrote:

If your gonna start with tpw you will need a reflux still or you will end up with tomato flavoured alcohol.
Reflux= strips flavour (vodka/ neutral spirit)
Pot still= retains flavour (brown spirits)
I would also suggest a keg for a boiler as its heaps easier to keep air tight and if you get the right one they do have a small 2" flange on them to connect still to.
2" copper pipe isnt too hard to solder a flange to and away you go.
Making brown spirits using a cereal wash in the "Tried and Proven" section isnt too complex.
There is a lot of info in the newbies corner that will answer many questions you may have. I recommend reading "kiwistillers novice guide to cuts" as its critical to a top notch drop.
Hope that answers a few questions. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Rocky4700 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:36 am

Wellsy wrote:Can’t help with the build mate I am a pure shopper not builder.

If you are looking for a bourbon or whiskey I would strongly recommend the BWKO for a bourbon. Ferments fast and tastes great. WBAB is a super easy one and makes a nice whiskey if you do generations. The tried and proven section is full of simple recipes mate :)

I am not set on any recipe yet, plan is to go through each recipe once (or twice) and see what works for me :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

BigRig wrote:Buy the turbo adapter from 5star. Get the seal and triclamp with it.

Thanks for that, looking into it now :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

RuddyCrazy wrote:G'Day Rocky and welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now for your first still a 1.5" pot still would work and give you a good introduction into the craft but it will be slow running, think about finding a 50 litre keg and a 2" tri-clamp fit straight to the the top outlet and use a crab burner along with a hp reg for the heating then just use the big green shed lpg bottles as I find they will do 2.5 to 3 runs with my 4" still and I did find making my own BD burner cut down on the gas used and the heat output raised by a factor of heaps.

As you said you like brown spirits go have a look at my thread on malting my own barely to get a few tips and you will be off and running with the best drop from the startup. :handgestures-thumbupleft: but be preprared to wait 12 months for it age :laughing-rolling:

Most of all mate read read and did I a say read :laughing-rolling: and any question just throw them at us as we were all at this stage when most of us started.

Cheers Bryan

Getting all that past finance minister will be tiny bit hard, I might end up homeless. But in all seriousness, plan is to go slowly. Problem I am facing is, being in Rocky, parts are extremely hard to find, and local HBS guys seem clueless, and yet still charge through the nose :angry-banghead:

dans.brew wrote:If your gonna start with tpw you will need a reflux still or you will end up with tomato flavoured alcohol.
Reflux= strips flavour (vodka/ neutral spirit)
Pot still= retains flavour (brown spirits)
I would also suggest a keg for a boiler as its heaps easier to keep air tight and if you get the right one they do have a small 2" flange on them to connect still to.
2" copper pipe isnt too hard to solder a flange to and away you go.
Making brown spirits using a cereal wash in the "Tried and Proven" section isnt too complex.
There is a lot of info in the newbies corner that will answer many questions you may have. I recommend reading "kiwistillers novice guide to cuts" as its critical to a top notch drop.
Hope that answers a few questions. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That answers a lot of my questions. I am still reading and trying to get my head around a lot of different builds.

My mind is split right now, I was adamant on building my own, and using 20L boiler, but after reading about benefits of kegs, I am considering getting a cheap reflux column and build a keg boiler, and later on build column, once i have some experience under my belt.

I am leaning toward "Alcoengine Reflux Column" or "VEVOR Reflux Column" as a cheap starter, but can't find any reviews on Vevor
Last edited by Rocky4700 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky4700

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:59 am

Hi Rocky,
One of the most important parts of the still is the product condensor and the 5 star range is really the best one can buy if building one yourself isn't a option. So here's a plan just say to SWMBO I need to get any product I make cool and it's too hard to make my own so it is OK to Andrew a ring so we can get the best solution as it will be a great investment. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now for the basic's of a pot still is riser pipe, bend and product condensor so have a look at the easy flange thread so you can make the riser pipe and scour the scrap yards for the bends.

When people enter this hobby people get all mixed up with wrong info but when making a pot still is just so easy, a 2" tri-clamp to connect the riser pipe to a keg then a bend to connect the product condensor it really all there is to it mate.

Have a good look at some of the build threads and the "how to make" threads on this forum so you can get the courage up to tackle this small step and get making that great drop. but remember with brown spirits time is your friend and what you make now may not taste the best but the angels will take all the bad stuff and the oak will transform your product into a top drop.

So go ahead and ask questions mate as we want to introduce you the right way into this craft without braking the budget

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:15 pm

Hi Rocky,
I just had to go and have a look at a budget option for you that won't get you homeless :laughing-rolling: a turn key solution and all you need is a keg to attach this baby :handgestures-thumbupleft:

https://5stardistilling.com/product/2%e ... pot-still/

So just under $400 for a solution and don't forget our master is the best for talking about solutions :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now you get a go fund me going saying your going to make distilled water so the community can keep the water topped up in their car batteries :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

So it really is up to you mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Rocky4700 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:57 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Hi Rocky,
I just had to go and have a look at a budget option for you that won't get you homeless :laughing-rolling: a turn key solution and all you need is a keg to attach this baby :handgestures-thumbupleft:

https://5stardistilling.com/product/2%e ... pot-still/

So just under $400 for a solution and don't forget our master is the best for talking about solutions :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now you get a go fund me going saying your going to make distilled water so the community can keep the water topped up in their car batteries :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

So it really is up to you mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan

I looked at that, and would love it, but the more i read, more i want to start with reflux still. I priced copper parts for 2" boka (similar to above) and i feel i can make it, might be a bit hard at shotgun condenser, but rest seems simple enough.

What i find hard is, making a reflux coil (dual coil reflux head inside 2") for reflux column. I tried with scrap copper today, and ended up kinking it really badly.

Can I use a cold finger, instead of dual coil reflux head?
Rocky4700

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Hi Rocky so now we are into the build part mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: to wind a coil to go into 2" is a massive task and a blow torch is a needed tool as we need to keep the copper soft, now it will be good to know what diameter tube you are using as that will help in your task :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now as your intend on going for a 2" boka or other design the run times are going to be a full day just to make some 90% neutral and nothing more where distilling in a potstill a TPW 3 or 4 times will make a nice neutral with less run time and be a more versatile in the long run

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Rocky4700 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:59 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Hi Rocky so now we are into the build part mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: to wind a coil to go into 2" is a massive task and a blow torch is a needed tool as we need to keep the copper soft, now it will be good to know what diameter tube you are using as that will help in your task :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now as your intend on going for a 2" boka or other design the run times are going to be a full day just to make some 90% neutral and nothing more where distilling in a potstill a TPW 3 or 4 times will make a nice neutral with less run time and be a more versatile in the long run

Cheers Bryan

Well that makes the decision for me, 2" Boka it is :-D

Now for more questions, I already cut 29mm hole in SS lid, and filed it open to 31mm brass fitting. Can I use 1.5" to 2" reducer to mount 2" copper pipe (till I can get 2" SS flange adapter) ?

And will a Liebig condenser approx 600mm in length be enough for condenser?
Rocky4700

Postby The Stig » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:08 pm

Brass fitting ????
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Rocky4700 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:48 pm

The Stig wrote:Brass fitting ????

I am using brass fitting to connect column to lid, but plan on getting turbo adapter and make easy flange on column.
Rocky4700

Postby Rocky4700 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:14 am

I apologize for delay, last couple of days, life has been a rollercoaster. I will be starting a build thread soon, and will update what I managed to scrape together :text-thankyoublue:
Rocky4700

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:06 pm

I hate seeing anybody say they are going to use a pot and lid .
The question is always , how are you going to absolutely seal the lid ?
And yes mate , get rid of the brass
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Rocky4700 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:36 am

I have followed your advice, and making a plain 2" pot still, with 1100mm column, 90 degree bends, and 5m+ worm tube condenser. All copper with silver brazing, Zero brass.

Pot/Lid is out, it won't even handle weight of column, let alone sealing the lid.

Going to liquidation warehouse today, hopefully I can pick up a nice 50L keg there.

I have just 1 question, should I extend distance between 90D bends like this.

Would that have significant effect on taste? Its not going to cost me any extra, I have spare 950mm 2" copper tube.

Finally, I can't thank enough for everyone's advice here, I was planning to go to reece/tradelink, and would have been ripped off. After reading few threads, ended up going to Ken's. Got all the copper for under $100, and made 2 friends :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rocky4700

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi Rocky,
Eh mate great to see you got a good deal on the copper :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now what did get you get in the way of bends, reducers etc as that will plan the layout of the pot still, with a long horizontal arm off the column won't affect any flavour at all and will add a bit of cool factor to the build. Now as far as this 5m+ worm tube condenser you have lost me on how this could work on a basic pot still. Now with that extra 2" you have grab some 1" or even 3/4" and make a pipe in pipe product condenser and a plumbing store will have all the fittings you need to make it. with a 1100mm column height a 600-700mm pipe in pipe PC will do the job you need.

As far as hard soldering goes on copper the fact you need to get it red hot to apply the solder lead free soft solder comes into it's own as much lower temps are needed and if the flux is put in neat the cleanup after the join is a easy clean up. just give it a good wash and use a scotch brite to get all the flux off leaving a very neat join.

So time to get a build thread going mate and throw some pic's up with what you have and we will go from there :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Next

Return to Welcome Centre