hi all from Gippsland, Vic

Say Hi and introduce yourself

hi all from Gippsland, Vic

Postby Terzza » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:09 pm

Hi all,
I've been along term stalker, shhh I'm not really here :P.

I started my home distilling life like most I guess with home brew beer and always wondered about the spirit side of life.

After a long hiatus i bought a T500 and all the associated bits n bods and started delving into the world of Distillation. It was with the aid of sites such as the Aussie Distillers chat that i threw away the T500 manual and the way of the Turbo products (yeah i know don't go there!! ) started to get the most I could from my old T500 and started to get some quite nice flavoured bourbon neutral drinks (as you may gather from here on in I love my bourbon).

As i mentioned id been lurking and not a active member always trying to get the most from what I had purchased (i am actually quite shy and not wanting to impose though get a drink or two and well., here is my post tonight.. ) hence I would sit back back read a lot from both here and other forums but not be an active participant. I was always trying to learn how I could get a nice flavoured bourbon or for that matter any whisky and would read about the world of bubble plate stills and the differences from them (and pot stills ) to the reflux column i had purchased. Hence i begun the search for the next great expense and also or perhaps even a greater, reason for the Mrs to accept the said "great expense"....

With all that said and after much deliberation (and perhaps some extra Xmas presents for the Mrs) im proud to say that I'll soon, Covid border gods willing, be the owner of a Visualizer Mk2 plate still and looking forward to the wonderful world to come :P

I'd like to say that i made my choice with the positive feedback from this site along with my conversation with Andrew from 5 Star who was so helpful and willing to share his time. I am feeling very excited about this and looking forward to exploring some of the recopies that are on this site.

I would like to up front (well at the end, see how i get ...) to say thank you to all the contributors to this forum, I hope you know how your contributions help all the distilling community not just those that may post on here but all that read it.

My sincere thank you all!!

That is about the end of my emotional hello that i thought i would put up and now. (now you see the trouble i get my self into)

I will now go back to my usually quiet stalking. lol

Cheers
Terzza

PS any grammatical errors are expected. don't type over .05 people...
Terzza

equipment: poor old T500 (don't hurt me :P)

4" Visualizer MK2
2 x 2400w Elements
50L Milk Can boiler

Re: hi all from Gippsland, Vic

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:00 am

Welcome Terzza.
Don’t get too quiet mate , we like pictures.
Once the rig arrives we want to see her :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:39 am

Welcome Terzza.
You are in for a treat and some steep learning mate. Andrew is always there to help that’s why we rave about his service and products. Don’t go to quiet mate.
It is super important you share your experience so others won’t feel like they are the only ones not sure what is going on.
I can highly recommend the BWKO recipe, just make enough so you will get some that gets older time is a wonderful ingredient in all that we make here
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:18 am

:text-+1:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby tacman1970 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:31 pm

Welcome Terza!! Good to see another Victorian :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tacman1970
Site Donor

equipment: modular 2" CCVM, on a 50l keg boiler
plus an airstill

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:06 pm

Eh Terzza, Welcome to the forum mate now go have look at my malting thread and get onto to it, from the 10 kg's i did the result is outstanding to say the least and put thru 4 plates this stuff is is liquid gold. Pure barely for the sweet mash then add backset then keep going on the generations using grain NOT breakfast stuff.
My 3rd generation is close to done so thats will close to 20 litres of 65% to age for a year.

The world is a oyster and how you shuck it depends on the out come so pick the best and go all grain

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Terzza » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:14 pm

Thanks all for the welcome,

Yep most certainly a step learning curve but all this talk of liquid gold has my mouth watering.
hopefully the TNT gods will be kind. ^:)^

cheers
Terzza
Terzza

4" Visualizer MK2
2 x 2400w Elements
50L Milk Can boiler

Postby Wellsy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:48 pm

Terzza you need to remember mate every parent thinks their child is good looking and we all know some of the aren’t lol
Fingers crossed it is a quick delivery mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:56 pm

:text-worthless:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Professor Green » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:03 pm

Welcome Terzza.

:text-+1: on what Stig said. We'll need pics of that Visualizer once it shows up!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby The Stig » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:43 am

It arrived yesterday :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling: :music-deathmetal: :dance: :happy-partydance:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:48 am

That explains the absence from the forum, he is way to busy cleaning 3verything and putting it together :)
Wellsy

Postby The Stig » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:47 am

Wading his way through mile of bubble-wrap and Chupa Chups maybe :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Terzza » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:20 am

Hey all,

Sorry, works been one of those distractions to what i would otherwise be enjoying doing, but its one of those things you have to do right :angry-banghead: .
I am happy to announce the happy and safe delivery on Monday of 1 large and heavy box containing all sorts of bubble wrap shiny goodness. :D :D :D
After inspecting all the bits n bods i did a test assemble, all i have to say is wow, the images on-line do not give this justice. This rig is so so damn impressive.

still.jpg

column.jpg

I have since got both elements wired and most of the still has now been cleaned with only two remain areas causing me some grief.
Firstly, the PC, while the RC was easy to clean with a bottle brush, the small diameter holes int he PC are proving to be a bit harder to clean, any recommendations to the best way to get all the way through the tubes for cleaning?

and now, something i have done that has me a little worried.... ~x( ~x( ~x( :pray: :pray: :pray:
i soaked the copper bubble plates (dismantled and without screws) in a citric acid wash, this is something i have done in the past with my copper saddles out of the T500.
What i did differently this time is that i left them in the solution overnight and when i came out this morning i got a shock. The plates have turned from a nice clean shiny appearance to the image below.
bubbleplate.jpg

cant believe i did that, i usually soak for an hour and remove them :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Any idea what i have done and suggestions as to what i can do to reverse it?

thanks heaps and i'll put up some more images once i get it back together.
cheers
Terzza
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terzza

4" Visualizer MK2
2 x 2400w Elements
50L Milk Can boiler

Postby The Stig » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:52 am

Nothing at all to worry about there Terzza.
And I just let the sacrificial run clean the condenser
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BigRig » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:19 am

Don't worry about the bubble plate, looks perfectly clean.

Heres a pic of mine after 2 runs
20211013_101515.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby The Stig » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:48 am

They do get funky rather quick don’t they :D
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Terzza » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:08 am

Thanks all,

guess its that new baby thing lol

that makes my Thursday night a bit more fun. time for a cleaning run :dance:

cheers
Terzza
Terzza

4" Visualizer MK2
2 x 2400w Elements
50L Milk Can boiler

Postby Wellsy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:11 pm

If you think it looks good now, wait until it is running mate, fabulous.
Oh and I would suggest you put an arrow on your reflux condenser tap mate. Sometimes in the heat of battle it is easy to get confused. Maybe it is just me lol. The arrow also gives me a reference point on where I started and where I have adjusted too. Makes a big difference when trying to do little adjustments.
You have an awesome bit of gear there mate.
Wellsy

Postby Professor Green » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:32 pm

Congrats, Terzza, it sure is a mighty fine looking piece of kit isn't it.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Welcome Centre