G’Day from Melbourne

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G’Day from Melbourne

Postby Diston80 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:29 pm

G’Day ladies and gents. My names Marc and I’m pretty new to this whole caper. I used to do a lot of beer back in the day but now I want to get into the distilling game. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to what to buy (what’s needed for a setup, brands to be wary of etc) or if there’s a topic already started on this (I can’t seem to see one) that would be great.

Once again, thanks for letting me jump onboard and I look forward to all your knowledge. Cheers!
Diston80

equipment: Newbie

Re: G’Day from Melbourne

Postby BigRig » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:44 pm

Hi diston welcome to the forum.

Another member recently went through the same exercise with what to buy and the differences between the different set ups. Here is a link to his post which should help

viewtopic.php?t=13996

if you still have questions after that, fire away.
Last edited by BigRig on Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Professor Green » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:54 pm

Welcome to AD mate.

Excellent move doing your research before diving in - you'll save money and start off on the right foot.

Some things to consider before you go too much further:
What kind of spirits are you looking to make? Different spirits require different equipment.
How much room/time you have to devote to distilling? There's no point going for a large boiler and 4" still if you can only run a still in your kitchen.
Are you looking to buy off-the-shelf or are you handy with tools and happy to do some DIY? DIY can be very rewarding and can be cheaper than off-the-shelf if you already have the required tools.

Remember to factor the sundry items into your budget - Fermeter/Alcometer/Hydromter etc.

Consider the above and feel free to ask any questions you may have; we'll be able to guide to a solution that is best suited for your needs.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Wellsy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:57 pm

Welcome Diston
What is it you are hoping to produce, that will steer you towards pot still or reflux still.
Do you have a budget etc. the options are endless.
Before you spend any money or make any decisions give Andrew a call at 5 star, you will give you straight down the line advice without any pressure.
Ask questions and read the newbie section mate lots of good info in there.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Welcome Centre