Greetings All

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Greetings All

Postby MarkA » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:46 pm

Hi guys,

I'm Mark,from Southern NSW. Got a copper column T500 for Christmas, and have read posts on this forum 'till my eyes bled,
wiped them off, and read some more. You guys are awesome with the information and advice given over the years, I've learned so much.

I've run the Turbo wash that came with the kit, as per manufacturers instructions. It's a passable drop if you mix peppermint
cordial and lemonade with it, otherwise it smells and tastes like low quality metho (don't ask me how I know that).

Got my first TPW in the fermenter, smells great, looks great, and can't wait for it to be ready to run through the still, following the "proper way"
instructions.

Anyway, that's it for me for now, take care all, and thanks.

Regards
Mark
MarkA
Site Donor

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with copper reflux column
2" sight glass
FSD 2" pot still with shotgun condenser
FSD 50L milk can boiler with 2- 2400w elements, 4" to 2" reducer
Liebig condenser
FSD 2" Boka
FSD 4” Neutralizer

Re: Greetings All

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:56 pm

Welcome Mark
Now you have the wash under way you can concentrate you attention to the cuts thread mate.
I promise the cuts will make more sense after you have done it lol. Be conservative and trust your nose and taste buds mate.
You will not be disappointed. Remember however not to throw away the stuff you don’t like as these feints will produce good product later when you have a couple of batches of them
Good luck and ask questions mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:06 pm

:wave:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:31 pm

Hi Mark.
Welcome to the rabbit hole :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby MarkA » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:34 pm

Thanks Wellsy, Bluc, and Stig.

I've read the cuts threads a few times, was jar-deficient, so got 2 dozen 400ml beakers for cuts, and I'm think I'm ready to go. I have a container
ready for the feints as well, so hopefully I'm covered. Going to re-read the "How to run..." post a few more times before I run the TPW,
I'm excited to get into it :)

A huge thanks to you guys for all the posts you've put up, and the responses to the questions raised. They've helped me to prepare no end.

Regards
Mark
MarkA
Site Donor

2" sight glass
Liebig condenser
FSD 2" Boka
FSD 4” Neutralizer

Postby Hick1960 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:50 pm

Welcome Mark. I also use a t500 and quickly realised from this forum there were better recipes here for neutral than the turbo stuff that came with the still. I use Teddy’s Fast Fermenting Vodka for my neutral, just because it ferments quicker. I also built a 2” pot to fit on top of the t500 boiler. A simple pot gives you more options if you want to go down the flavoured washes. I strip everything now with the pot still then run it through the t500 for neutral. Make good cuts, no filtering, and good booze in the end. Enjoy your journey. So much to learn here from these guys.
Hick1960

equipment: Turbo 500
2” pot with Shotgun condenser
2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:26 am

I collect in a couple of measuring jugs mark, I use 300 ml at a time but everyone is different depending on the size of the run, and then tip it into empty stubbies. This possibly means they don’t air as well as in a jar but it works for me.

Maybe I am just to tight to buy jars though lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby BigRig » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:52 am

If you are buying the 500gm tomato paste keep the jars, they are good for cuts. I have them marked at 250ml and full is 500ml, too easy.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby MarkA » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:37 am

Thanks for the advice guys.

I plan to get an alembic dome for the boiler, to do stripping runs to start, and experiment with keeping flavours
when I get more confident.

I went with the TPW because it was so simple, but TFFV is definitely on the cards.

I've told the minister for finances and culinary delights that she needs to buy everything in jars for a while :) I used the
little Leggos tomato paste tubs for the first run, to stay true to the recipe, but 500gm jars will be the go from now on.

Thanks for the welcome guys, you are great.

Mark
MarkA
Site Donor

2" sight glass
Liebig condenser
FSD 2" Boka
FSD 4” Neutralizer

Postby Professor Green » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:30 am

Welcome Mark.

I would recommend looking at the 5 Star 2" pot still instead of the SS alembic dome and pot as the latter is over-priced for what it is. You'll be able to run the 5 start pot harder and faster for your stripping runs and it will be able to be used on a larger boiler should you feel the need to upgrade further down the track.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby MarkA » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:53 am

Hi Professor,

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll certainly look at the 5 Star 2" as an option when I look to expand my kit.

Thanks, Mark
MarkA
Site Donor

2" sight glass
Liebig condenser
FSD 2" Boka
FSD 4” Neutralizer

Postby BigRig » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:11 pm

MarkA wrote:Hi Professor,

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll certainly look at the 5 Star 2" as an option when I look to expand my kit.

Thanks, Mark

I can vouch for the 5 star 2" pot attachment (with the t500 adapter). Andrew's gear is well worth the outlay. Resale when you decide to go to a 4" set up is top notch also.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:19 pm

Another plus one for the five star option mate, it might be a little more expensive initially, not sure by how much but it is well worth the future flexibility it will give you.
Wellsy

Postby MarkA » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:30 pm

Hey guys,

Did my first proper still run on a TPW a week or so back, messed up somewhere, and ended up taking 8 hours. Pretty sure I took the fores off way too slow.
Ended up with 1.5L hearts, which are very nice, and around 1.2L feints, in the feints container waiting for their next go-around.

I took your advice (the missus isn't impressed), and spoke to Andrew at FSD, I now have 2" pot still sitting on the boiler, hoping do the cleaning run this
weekend, and do my first stripping run on a TPW as well. Looks like I'm addicted :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks guys
MarkA
Site Donor

2" sight glass
Liebig condenser
FSD 2" Boka
FSD 4” Neutralizer

Postby Jedstar » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:57 am

and another one ... down down down the rabbit hole ... your in very good company Mark .. embrace the madness ... Cheers
Jedstar

equipment: FSD 4" Visualizer Mk2 with 250mm Packed Section , FSD 50L Milk Can with 2 x 2400W Elements + FSD Controller . FSD 4” Modular Pot that has grown up.

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:55 am

Congrats Mate
Once you missus starts tasting the product you will be fine.
I can strongly recommend the WBAB for a nice vodka tripled distilled through the pot still. And the BWKO through the pot as well.
Next strong suggestion is push yourself a little and make as much as you can and then a little bit more. You will think it tastes nice after 3 months on oak ( brown spirits ) but it is even nicer after 12. You need the stocking levels to get there though.
Have fun mate
Wellsy

Postby MarkA » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:40 am

Thanks Wellsy,

I'll be doing my cleaning runs on the pot still today, and strip a TPW. I'll do a couple more TPW's and get enough for a spirit run through the reflux,
then I'm looking at the WBAB, I'm reading through the discussion thread on that now.

I need another (bigger) fermenter, I think.

Looking forward to having enough of something to put down for a few months and see how it turns out.

Thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated.
MarkA
Site Donor

2" sight glass
Liebig condenser
FSD 2" Boka
FSD 4” Neutralizer

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:29 pm

There is a guy based in Shepparton who goes to the Bendigo market that sells barrels. The big 220 litre ones as well as 60 litre ones. All well cleaned that make good fermenters or grain storage bins. Keeps the mice out, he might go to your local market and I am talking 20 - $25 a 220 litre olive barrel or $15 for the 60 litre ones. He might do your local market as well if you are southern nsw enough.
A word of warning though don’t make the mistake of filling a 220 litre barrel with grain, you can’t move the bloody things nor can us shorties reach the bottom to get the grain out lol. You live and learn lol
Wellsy

Postby MarkA » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up Wellsy. A mate at work, he's into 'stilling as well, and I were checking out barrels in Shep on FB, probably
the same guy. Prices were about the same as well.

Just finished my first stripping run. Started with 23.75L TPW wash @ 10.94% ABV. Took 160ml fores, measured 68% temp corrected.
I ran it down to 22%, and stopped there as my demijohn was full, and I didn't see a lot more coming off. I ended up with 5.2L @ 46%.
Run took 2.5hrs from switch on to switch off.

Does that sound about right to you guys?

Thanks
MarkA
Site Donor

2" sight glass
Liebig condenser
FSD 2" Boka
FSD 4” Neutralizer

Postby BigRig » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:34 pm

MarkA wrote:Thanks for the heads up Wellsy. A mate at work, he's into 'stilling as well, and I were checking out barrels in Shep on FB, probably
the same guy. Prices were about the same as well.

Just finished my first stripping run. Started with 23.75L TPW wash @ 10.94% ABV. Took 160ml fores, measured 68% temp corrected.
I ran it down to 22%, and stopped there as my demijohn was full, and I didn't see a lot more coming off. I ended up with 5.2L @ 46%.
Run took 2.5hrs from switch on to switch off.

Does that sound about right to you guys?

Thanks

Yeah that sounds about right. Just remember to dilute it to 40% or less.
Last edited by BigRig on Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

Next

Return to Welcome Centre