Gday from the WA Goldfields.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Gday from the WA Goldfields.

Postby Outbackozzie » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:45 pm

Hello, new member from WA, just getting restarted after not enjoying the T500 and Turbo spirits.

Recently discovered the fun of making nice spirits after reading posts in this forum regarding the lack of quality in chasing quantity with the Still Spirits ingredients.

Last couple of ferments were done with 7kg sugar and 1/3rd Turbo yeast, much better results, but still not nice without carbon filtering through the big filter.

Just laid down my first TPW, and it's happily bubbling away, with no odour at all.

Current equipment -

2 x normal plastic barrel 30l fermenters.
1 x fermzilla 27l - using as a fermenter.
1 x T500 stainless reflux and boiler.
1 x 35l digiboil with copper dome and alembic.
1 x still spirits filter pro.

1 x 35l brewzilla and associated gear, not sure what to do with this - any ideas?

Living offgrid with Solar, Lithium battery bank, generator for evenings.

Happy brewing :)
Outbackozzie

equipment: T500, alembic.

Re: Gday from the WA Goldfields.

Postby twojaythomo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:31 pm

Hey mate welcome to the group, there's some very knowledgeable and friendly people on this group that are usually willing to help with tips and advice.

Good to see you have switched to tpw and you will get some great product from it.

T500 is not a bad bit of kit to learn on.

Happy brewing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
twojaythomo

equipment: 4" Bubbler, keg boiler with 2 elements and voltage regulator.

Postby Wellsy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:31 am

Welcome outback
So much advice on here it will make your head spin. Read the newbie section a few times mate,maybe it was just me that needed 4 readings before it started sinking in. The making cuts topic will make more sense once you try it once. Just really on your instincts and you won’t go too far wrong.
As for your brewzilla mate guard it with your life lol. Give it 6 to 12 months and you will want to b3 experimenting with some grain options and that is the perfect vessel to help in that area. I have just started on the beer from grain road and part of my justification in getting the brewzilla was it will make the perfect grain boiler for my next step in the distillation journey.
Good luck and don’t be afraid to ask questions :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Jedstar » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:46 am

Hey Outback,

Welcome aboard, your in for some very accelerated learning if you desire, this site will have you punching well above in a short time. Incidentally I live in the Goldfields, Boulder Capital of Kalgoorlie if you want to move from virtual conversation to analog I would be pleased to make your acquaintance.
Cheers
Jedstar

equipment: FSD 4" Visualizer Mk2 with 250mm Packed Section , FSD 50L Milk Can with 2 x 2400W Elements + FSD Controller . FSD 4” Modular Pot that has grown up.

Postby Outbackozzie » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:48 pm

Pretty sure Kalgoorlie is before Boulder in the signs :) :teasing-tease:

Just got some corn from the feed shop, so will try a BWKO next :)
Outbackozzie

Postby Wellsy » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:20 am

BWKO through the alembic mate and you can’t go wrong, it is a Fantastic recipe, the generations make a big difference in flavour so they are worth doing if you can
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Professor Green » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:41 pm

Welcome Outbackozzie.

Once you've run your TPW, maybe have a go at WBAB - it also makes a great neutral and, in my opinion, has a better mouthfeel than TPW.

No doubt you've seen them already but the info and threads linked here will help you get the best from your T500.

As Wellsy suggested, hang on to your brewzilla for when you want to try an AG whiskey.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Outbackozzie » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:44 pm

Some presents from FSD arrived today after Oz Post eventually got it here, sat in QLD for 4 days. Express post and all.

With the 2” bubbler for the T500, I assume the build is bottom adapter, triclamp and seal, bottom glass stainless section, bubbler plate, seal, glass etc to the top, no instructions so just sorta followed what I could see from the photos.

Nothing really seems to locate the bubble plate, so just checking I got it right.

What’s the best seals for the bubble / boiler lid and bubble / reflux column?

Cheers :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Outbackozzie

Postby The Stig » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:25 pm

The copper plate sits between the glass tower and the bottom adapter.
Doing up the clamp will hold it in place tight.
Putting the copper plate inside the glass cage will leak like a sieve .
I’m just glad to see all the glass survive the journey :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Outbackozzie » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:48 pm

Thank you Mr Stig, thats exactly how I assembled it. Took a bit of thought to decide which way was going to seal, the pics on the FSD store showed the way. Bottom adapter, bubble plate, glass seal, glass - etc.

It was a very well packaged delivery, and arrived perfectly.

The question on the seals for the adapters remains - what do I use to seal the bubbler to the boiler lid, and to the reflux colum at the other end? I only have the one seal from where the column used to attach to the boiler lid.

The T500 alembic only uses an O-Ring and its actually quite difficult to get it to seal. The T500 uses a flat seal that works well.

I have looked through the forum for info on the 2" bubbler and T500, I am finding that the search function is not ideal for condensing my searches.

:techie-typing:

Need to make some super quality spirits to get the planned 4" build over the line for approval :)
Outbackozzie

Postby The Stig » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:06 am

The adapters have 2 seals.
The lid of the T500 will have 1 seal each side (inside and outside)
To go into the base of the T500 you will remove the backing nut and seals of the adapter and screw it into the base of the T500.
Yiu can’t search anything here because nobody has asked about this before
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Welcome Centre