Howdy from Southern Tassie

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy from Southern Tassie

Postby rockymars » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:31 pm

Hey all,

Just thought I’d say g’day from south of the Boags/Cascade Divide. I’m an outcast though, as I partake of the northern product lol

I got so excited about this new hobby that I bought myself a Vevor 3-pot still a couple of months ago. I figured it would help me get going, and how bad can it really be??? Really bad, actually, as many have found out. I’m not going to list all the issues I have with it. But since the boiler is quite useable, that may be converted into a dedicated pot still at some point. With a couple of easy mods the “thumper” (anything but) can be converted into a gin basket. So there’s some hope. I’ll post about this build when I get to it.

I bought myself a 35L Digiboil, which will do double duties in my home brewing, as well as a kettle for my CM reflux still, which is in the mail. The wiring mod to make the Digiboil work for distilling is simple, I’m just waiting for the parts to arrive.

I’m also itching to make a really tiny “nano” still, based on a 7.6L stock pot I have. Not sure what will go on top (will be some kind of reflux or pot still with thumper). I’m missing out on a “from scratch” build with the CM I bought, so this will be to scratch an itch for soldering things, and polishing copper. I’m sure you’ll understand. :mrgreen:

Cheers
Rocky
rockymars

equipment: Useless Vevor 20L pot still
2” tri clamp CM kit’s in the mail

Re: Howdy from Southern Tassie

Postby Wellsy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:48 pm

Welcome aboard rocky. Have a good red through the newbies section as there is plenty of good info in there mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Moonshyner » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:42 pm

You'll get heaps of knowledge from here :techie-typing:

Cheers,
Moonshyner

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
Pure Distilling Spirit Maker Reflux Still
AlcoEngine Pot Still

Postby BigRig » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:49 pm

Welcome rocky. There are a few tassie members on here.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby rockymars » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:53 am

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I’ve been trawling through the HD forums, so much good stuff to absorb that it gets a bit overwhelming at times. Over here things are a bit simpler, and I’m looking forward to learning more from the old hands on this forum.

I’ve been going through the welcome section and noticed the Tassie folk are around. Looking at Gumtree, there are a few selling their gear but at stupid prices.

My biggest challenge so far is getting my hands on affordable copper tubing. Reece etc. charge about $120/m for 2” pipe, hence why I selected to go with tri clamp stainless. My CM arrived on Monday, build quality is very reasonable and I’m happy with my purchase. Sadly the other bits and pieces I ordered from www.5stardistilling.com.au (extra spool, PTFE seals and weldless tank connector) will take another 3-4 weeks to arrive. So now I’m just sitting here and drooling every time I look at my shiny new still.

Where would you suggest I go mine for copper pipe?
rockymars

Postby The Stig » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:45 pm

5 Star dont sell PTFE seals and nothing takes 3 or 4 weeks to get to Tas.
Last edited by The Stig on Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby tacman1970 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:29 pm

Welcome Rocky,
We all start somewhere, and it sounds like you're well on your way.
I am soon going to be south of the Boags/Cascade line myself, and like you prefer the northern brew!!
Cheers!
tacman1970
Site Donor

equipment: modular 2" CCVM, on a 50l keg boiler
plus an airstill

Postby tacman1970 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:44 pm

rockymars wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys!

My biggest challenge so far is getting my hands on affordable copper tubing. Reece etc. charge about $120/m for 2” pipe.....

Hi Rocky, I got brand new 2" copper pipe from a local plumbing supplies please near me at about $45/m, butwent back the other day to chase more and found the price has gone up to about $65/m. Still WAY cheaper than Reece and you can buy it by the m rather than 6m lengths (or paying a huge cutting fee).

I've also found a few online suppliers, but you have to pick up in person at most of them & all are on the mainland.... I was thinking of buying a 6m length and putting it in the 20' shipping container I'm shipping down to Tas in a couple of months.... PM me if you want to chat....

Cheers, tacman
tacman1970
Site Donor

equipment: modular 2" CCVM, on a 50l keg boiler
plus an airstill

Postby rockymars » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:31 pm

The Stig wrote:5 Star dont sell PTFE seals and nothing takes 3 or 4 weeks to get to Tas.

Hi Stig,

Thanks for the correction! Of course it was not from 5 Star, but from another Chinese supplier. I haven't figured out how to edit posts yet.

EDIT: in submitting this post, in naming the supplier, it automatically reverted to 5 Star's address. So I had to fix it by not naming the said supplier...
Last edited by rockymars on Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockymars

Postby rockymars » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:35 pm

tacman1970 wrote:Welcome Rocky,
We all start somewhere, and it sounds like you're well on your way.
I am soon going to be south of the Boags/Cascade line myself, and like you prefer the northern brew!!
Cheers!

hey @tacman,

Good luck with your moving plans!
rockymars

Postby rockymars » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:38 pm

tacman1970 wrote:
rockymars wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys!

My biggest challenge so far is getting my hands on affordable copper tubing. Reece etc. charge about $120/m for 2” pipe.....

Hi Rocky, I got brand new 2" copper pipe from a local plumbing supplies please near me at about $45/m, butwent back the other day to chase more and found the price has gone up to about $65/m. Still WAY cheaper than Reece and you can buy it by the m rather than 6m lengths (or paying a huge cutting fee).

I've also found a few online suppliers, but you have to pick up in person at most of them & all are on the mainland.... I was thinking of buying a 6m length and putting it in the 20' shipping container I'm shipping down to Tas in a couple of months.... PM me if you want to chat....

Cheers, tacman

I'd love to pick up 2" copper for $65/m!!!

I can't PM yet (not enough posts) but I set myself a goal of achieving that today. Did you send me a PM earlier? I got the notification via email but can't open it :angry-banghead:
rockymars

Postby Wellsy » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:24 pm

Can you reply to this post please rockymars
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:40 pm

Wellsy wrote:Can you reply to this post please rockymars

Just be careful and keep a safe distance as Wellsy may be after a new boyfriend :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby rockymars » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:33 am

RuddyCrazy wrote:

Just be careful and keep a safe distance as Wellsy may be after a new boyfriend :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Sorry Wellsy, I’m already taken!
rockymars

Postby rockymars » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:35 am

Hey Wellsy!

I think this rounds out my first 10 posts too! Thanks for helping me over the line :D
rockymars

Postby The Stig » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:49 am

rockymars wrote:but from another Chinese supplier.

QLD isnt China, 5 Star are based in South East Brisbane thank you :angry-banghead:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby rockymars » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:53 am

The Stig wrote:
rockymars wrote:but from another Chinese supplier.

QLD isnt China, 5 Star are based in South East Brisbane thank you :angry-banghead:

Ok I'll try to sort out the confusion via PM.
rockymars

Postby Wellsy » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:55 pm

There is absolute No. Confusion rocky we all know what is happening.
Again there is a simple rule to explain it, don’t drink the product before posting :laughing-rolling:

By the way glad you got over the ten post line :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wellsy

Postby rockymars » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:09 am

Wellsy wrote:There is absolute No. Confusion rocky we all know what is happening.

So just for my benefit, is there a rule written somewhere that we are not allowed to post links and the names of other websites, especially of FSB competitors? Is this an open forum?
Wellsy wrote:Again there is a simple rule to explain it, don’t drink the product before posting :laughing-rolling:

Shall keep that in mind! :laughing-rolling:
rockymars

Postby Wellsy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:38 pm

The forum is hosted by five star mate, many of us donate but it takes many many more $20:00 donations than are received to update servers and pay hosting costs, so five star are always dipping into their pockets to keep this advice viable.

People here are happy to help other equipment users to get the best out of what they have, after all we all have budgets we need to work too. But when it comes to adverting those products that would just be rude, and a slap in the face for all the support 5star have given us.

No stress about asking the question as if you don’t ask you won’t know.

I hope that explains it mate, if not ask again as my explanations can be confusing at times :)
Wellsy

Next

Return to Welcome Centre