Hi from Mirriwinni.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Mirriwinni.

Postby sacredsite » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:42 pm

I have recently bought a pot still and not knowing anyone who has one makes it hard to get started without making mistakes.
So I joined this forum to learn how to use it and what I can make with it.
sacredsite

equipment: turbo 500
pot still used for rum and brandy

Re: Hi from Mirriwinni.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:22 pm

Welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

your world has really opened up with that pot still addition and yes we do need pic's mate to see what you have and we can go from there. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So with your T-500 you can make hearts of hearts then do an infusion at 40% and run it thru the pot still for one nice drop.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:53 pm

Welcome sacredsite
Your pot still will make a lovely drop of whatever it is you are chasing.
Let us know what you want to make , first, and we can point you to some recipes. Pot stills are fantastic for doing brown spirits as they keep a lot of the flavour in the spirit. They are also relatively easy to use. There is only 1 thing to control and that is output speed via a voltage regulator.
If you do not have one of these life is going to be so much harder mate so the $50:00 outlay is well worth it.
I started with a pot still and still use it regularly.
Read the newbie section a few times and once you have run the still once or twice things will start to make even more sense.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby GrantB » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:14 pm

You definitely come to the right place to learn about this hobby.

Cheers
GrantB

equipment: Vevor 20L Pot Still (the one that looks like it’s got a football sitting on top)
EZ Filter. Added a 500mm column & reflux condenser.
5 Star 55 litre Milk Can 2 element boiler.
Brewzilla Gen 4 65 litre

Postby sacredsite » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:30 am

Wellsy wrote:Welcome sacredsite
Your pot still will make a lovely drop of whatever it is you are chasing.
Let us know what you want to make , first, and we can point you to some recipes. Pot stills are fantastic for doing brown spirits as they keep a lot of the flavour in the spirit. They are also relatively easy to use. There is only 1 thing to control and that is output speed via a voltage regulator.
If you do not have one of these life is going to be so much harder mate so the $50:00 outlay is well worth it.
I started with a pot still and still use it regularly.
Read the newbie section a few times and once you have run the still once or twice things will start to make even more sense.

Thanks for the info, it seems the voltage reg will be my next purchase. (is there a preferred brand?)
What I want to make is controlled by the availability of product, ATM it is molasses freebie from a tame mill worker or bananas, cheap as chips around Innisfail.
The main concern I have is what I cannot ferment and distill, does oxalic acid become a problem and things like that.
thanks
sacredsite

Postby sacredsite » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:45 am

RuddyCrazy wrote:Welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

your world has really opened up with that pot still addition and yes we do need pic's mate to see what you have and we can go from there. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So with your T-500 you can make hearts of hearts then do an infusion at 40% and run it thru the pot still for one nice drop.

Cheers Bryan

I bought the still spirits pot head to suit the turbo 500.
thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sacredsite

Postby Wellsy » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:15 am

If you search power controller in the five star store you will see the type of thing you need.

I think most are similar and prices are similar so it’s all about the cost of postage.

Again mate read the newbie section a couple of times and it will start to click.

Molasses and bananas looks like you will be doing some nice rums :). I really don’t think there is much that you cannot ferment. My biggest suggestion would be fact check everything you see on Facebook and you tube as it is not always as simple as some might suggest. You just need to take your time and never leave your still unattended.

Please please please ignore the suggestion that you can run your still in an automated way as it is a sure fire way to disaster.

Get a rum ferment going, have a flick through the tried tested recipes and you won’t go wrong
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Welcome Centre