Hi from Sydney

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Sydney

Postby MattSmith » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:58 pm

Hi Folks,

I've brewed beer in the past but have never distilled anything. This is my second crack at researching this hobby but I think it's serious this time as I've bought a 50lt milk can.

I've worked around the alcohol industry for nearly 15 years now and like a wide range of drinks. Knowing exactly where most of the retail price of spirits goes has led me down this path.

I'm not aiming to "save" money but rather drink better for the same money.

So I'm looking to make rums, whisky's, vodka and gins. Initially I thought a hybrid reflux/pot still would be the go but I'm being drawn towards a 4 plate bubbler, possibly with a packed section for faster stripping runs and maybe a carter head as well. As much as I'd love to build one I'm time poor so will be buying it (that's also what's pulling me towards the bubbler).

I've picked up lots of useful info from the forum over the last week and I'm sure there's more to more come.

Cheers
MattSmith
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 50L Milk Can
FSD 4" pot (3" PC) with packed section & RC
Still Spirits Air Still

Re: Hi from Sydney

Postby BigRig » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:06 pm

Hey matt, welcome to the forum. You will learn plenty here.

You cannot go wrong with a bubbler, buy it once cry once. Too many times members have gone for a cheaper smaller option only to realise things can be done better with the bubbler so upgrade after only a couple runs (me included).
Last edited by BigRig on Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Wellsy » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:12 pm

Welcome Matt
Definitely give Andrew at 5star a call mate he will give you honest unbiased advice.

I started with a 4 inch pot still and then upgraded to a 4 plate bubbler so I could do runs straight from the wash. I concentrate on whiskeys and bourbons with an occasional WBAB run for Vodka.

The tariffs are bloody robbery we all agree. Most on here love simply producing a quality product that you cannot buy anywhere. It is an awesome hobby and there are many on here who are happy to share the hard earned knowledge.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby iOnaBender » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:35 pm

Welcome Matt,

Down the rabbit hole you go.... :laughing-rolling:

My advice (same as BigRig & Wellsy) is to go the bubbler straight up, it will accommodate all of your brown spirits out of the box, you can always add the packed section and extra plates for good vodka/neutral as a base to make your gin down the track (Odin's easy Gin maceration is my go to).

Andrew won't sell you anything you don't need, give him a call to discuss your needs.

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby MattSmith » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:32 am

Thanks guys,

I'm definitely a buy once, cry once kind of guy, that's what scared me off the last time I started putting a plan together, lol.

BigRig I think it was your bubbler post that influenced me the most to look at them. I'll definitely give Andrew a call.
MattSmith
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 50L Milk Can
FSD 4" pot (3" PC) with packed section & RC
Still Spirits Air Still

Postby iOnaBender » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:54 pm

Hi Matt,

As mentioned earlier, if you go the bubbler you can grow into extra bubble tee's and packed section for vodka/neutrals.

You can also break it down to a pot still to go on a smaller boiler (with adapter) without exposed elements, this allows you to distill smaller amounts safely. I run macerated gin through this, but each to their own!

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby Professor Green » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:23 am

Welcome Matt.

With the range of spirits you're interested in making, a modular system is the way to go as it can be configured for whatever type of run you want to do (strip, flavoured spirit, neutral/vodka etc). Given you already have a 50l Milk Can boiler, the choices open to you are fairly open so it comes down to a few questions.
  • How much time you have to run your still,
  • how much space you have in which to run it and,
  • budget.

If you have no budgetary constraints and enough room, a 4" modular such as the Neutraliser fro 5 Star is ideal. It pairs well with your 50 litre Milk Can, can be configured as pot still for stripping or pot stilled flavoured spirits, run with plates for single run flavoured spirits (rum etc) or run with plates and the packed section for neutral. Being 4" you also get good run times.

If you have limited space and limited budget, the 2" boka plus the pot head option might be something worth looking at. The Bokas produce exceptional neutral however they are slow and not having plates, you would need to do multiple pot still runs for your flavoured spirits such as rum (strip followed by slow spirit run).

The carter head may or may not be necessary for what you want to do BTW. Many an outstanding gin has been made with a simple pot still although you may need a different boiler as the submerged elements in your milk can will probably scorch the botanicals.

As others have mentioned, it's definitely worth while giving Andrew at 5 Star a call, he'll steer you in the right direction.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Welcome Centre