Hi from Billy G

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Billy G

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:07 pm

Hi all, I am new to this as I got T500 boiler and reflux still with the ss pro filter as a Xmas present from my wife. I have my first 6kg sugar wash with turbo yeast bubbling away nicely for its 5th day now.

Will let you know how it turns our :happy-partydance:
Drip Drip Dribble

equipment: Still Spirits T500, Reflux & Stainless column filter

Re: Hi from Billy G

Postby The Stig » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:37 pm

Welcome .
Try some of the recipes here after the turbo is done
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby iOnaBender » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:48 pm

Welcome BillyG,

Rip into some tried and true sugar head recipes here…..we all were mislead and started somewhere, but it now annoys me to walk into a HBS and see a shitload of Turbo recipe packs. You won’t know any better until you give a TPW, TFFV or WBAB a crack!

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:24 am

Welcome Billy

As said lots of good info and abbreviations here. Have a good read of the newbie section mate it is full of great information. Also have a scan through the recipe section as you can achieve a lot with simple bread yeast and it will save you plenty

Have fun and be safe
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:42 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, I will try a TPW very soon. Is there a thread that explains the abbreviations

Cheers
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby iOnaBender » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:54 am

iOnaBender
Site Donor

125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:39 am

Thanks for the welcome every one,

Ran the turbo wash yesterday, it all went well, spot on. Sat at 51.2 all afternoon with very little input from me using the water tank/pump, Got 3.6Lt of 95%.

Cut it to 45% and put it through the Still Spirits Filter Pro late last night and still a little to go through this morning. As it holds a little residual water from cleaning the carbon it should be close to 40% when done.

Very smooth with a slight sweet after taste.

Have another was on now.

:dance:
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:49 am

I have made a 1.125Lt of the Still Spirits Candy Shots for my daughter.
I used the Candy Shots, Cream Base A & the spirit i brewed, all done as per instructions. Do i need to add Clycerine as it has a warm/tingle after taste

Cheers
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby iOnaBender » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:09 pm

BillyG wrote:Got 3.6Lt of 95%.

Billy,

Was this Hearts or heads, hearts and tails? From memory 3.6ltr was all cuts combined. :think:

You then say you cut it to 45%, this is called diluting or tamping (I'll stand corrected?)

What I'm getting at, is if you have filtered the total run of 3.6ltr (not just hearts cut) that warm/tingle is possibly due to the heads, hearts & tails combined? If not it may just need some time to mature in the bottle.

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:28 pm

G'Day BillyG welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If you haven't got any cut jars yet it is time to get some mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: then you can learn by smell what is heads, hearts and tails :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Heads will smell like nail polish remover and we don't want that in the final product as primarily they are the culprit for that sharp bite etc and can give a hard hangover after a good swig :angry-banghead:

Hearts will have little to no smell and thats what we want to keep, now as the ABV output goes down the tails kick in and they can smell like a mangy dog wet cardboard etc.

Leave your cut jars for 24 hours with a paper towel over the top so the raw spirit can settle and the angels can take their share (we didn't want that portion either)

Now when your TPW is ready to run do a stripping run to get some low wines then temper them down to under 40% for the spirit run where running it nice and slow taking cuts will result in a nice drop and that harsh bite should be a thing of the past.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:20 pm

Thanks for the great advice guys, I will give it all a go
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:18 pm

I have my first TPW on the go now using the first TPW on the forum, I have plenty on neutral spirit at the moment so I will let it run it’s coarse and see what I get. Can I use Turbo Clear when it come to it or will that taint the outcome,

Cheers
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby BigRig » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:25 pm

Hi Billy, welcome to this great forum.

If you do cuts then you shouldn't need to use the carbon. If you have it left over and have the time then you can definitely use it up.

You will be blown away by the difference between TPW (or any of the T&P recipes) compared to turdbo's.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Wellsy » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:09 am

Billy G you asked about the abbreviations so I am assuming you were referring to the ones suggesting the washes to try. If you look in the tried and proven recipe you will soon work out what they stand for. Tpw tomato paste wash, WBAB - wheat bix all bran, etc
Just grab an initial and scan up and down the list , the name will eventually jump out at you
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Yurugaboy » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:40 am

Welcome welcome. Read read read the intro notes. You can see the general view on turbo. I make gin and vodka from a simple TPW with ec1118 yeast. Headbands over Xmas anyone anyone. Strike out with bread yeast - slow ferment but miles ahead that turbo . Don’t rush the yeast or it pushes back. Enjoy - this is a great group -lots of advice- but do some homework first please and read.
Yay you. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:42 pm

BigRig wrote:Hi Billy, welcome to this great forum.

If you do cuts then you shouldn't need to use the carbon. If you have it left over and have the time then you can definitely use it up.

You will be blown away by the difference between TPW (or any of the T&P recipes) compared to turdbo's.

Wasn’t wanting to use the carbon, was wondering about the Turbo Clear, or should I just wait it out and let it settle on its own?
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:44 pm

Yurugaboy wrote:Welcome welcome. Read read read the intro notes. You can see the general view on turbo. I make gin and vodka from a simple TPW with ec1118 yeast. Headbands over Xmas anyone anyone. Strike out with bread yeast - slow ferment but miles ahead that turbo . Don’t rush the yeast or it pushes back. Enjoy - this is a great group -lots of advice- but do some homework first please and read.
Yay you. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers for this, I was watching an episode of Moonshiners last night and they had a blind judging of Shine that was made during Covid lock downs when it was hard to get ingredients, TPW was the willer hands down
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:47 pm

Wellsy wrote:Billy G you asked about the abbreviations so I am assuming you were referring to the ones suggesting the washes to try. If you look in the tried and proven recipe you will soon work out what they stand for. Tpw tomato paste wash, WBAB - wheat bix all bran, etc
Just grab an initial and scan up and down the list , the name will eventually jump out at you

Thanks for this, in the newbie section I found a page all the acronyms and abbreviations on it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:52 pm

I have put a RAPT Pill in the TPW and it is at 1.002 SG at the moment, going well. On 21.1 degrees. I know it says you can run it between 20 & 35 degrees, what would be an optimal temp if there is one?

Was also thinking of getting a bucket buddy from Kegland as it has the built in heater and I will be able to put it out in the garage then, good idea or not?
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby BigRig » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:00 pm

BillyG wrote:
BigRig wrote:Hi Billy, welcome to this great forum.

Wasn’t wanting to use the carbon, was wondering about the Turbo Clear, or should I just wait it out and let it settle on its own?

Oops missed that. You can let it settle on its own, when the yeast are done they will settle. If u are in a hurry you could cold crash it in the fridge.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Next

Return to Welcome Centre