Hi, new here. Loving the hobby.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi, new here. Loving the hobby.

Postby Nomis80 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:52 am

Hey, new to the hobby. Loving learning the craft and look forward to trying different recipes and techniques.
I started with a pure distilling 2” reflux. Was making some very clean vodka. I have now bought the PD pot still to run some gin.
First batch has been macerating overnight.
I also have my first batch of birdwatchers ticking over. Looking forward to comparing the difference between the PD yeast that came with the kit.
Thanks for wealth of knowledge that I have picked up from the page. Looking forward to sharing some successes on here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nomis80

equipment: Pure distilling reflux column

Re: Hi, new here. Loving the hobby.

Postby The Stig » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:29 pm

Welcome Nomis,
Looks like the bug has bit :music-deathmetal:
Your in for one hell of a ride :laughing-rolling:
Enjoy
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:27 am

Welcome nomis
Looks like Gin will be ready just in time for summer :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby tjx2 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:51 pm

Welcome Nomis.

I'm a newbie and I'm about to macerate my first gin as well. Let me know how yours turns out?
Which recipe did you follow?
tjx2

equipment: FSD Boka 2" Boka
FSD 2" Pot

Postby Nomis80 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:31 pm

tjx2 wrote:Welcome Nomis.

I'm a newbie and I'm about to macerate my first gin as well. Let me know how yours turns out?

I ran off 2 batches. The first batch was filtered through charcoal and then macerated for 36 hours.
Came out very clean and tasty. I made decent cuts from the reflux run, so only cut another 200 mls or so from the start of the run.
stopped collecting when the temp reached 92 degrees. This was showing about 62% ABV I cut about 400 mls from the tail and added it to the second batch along with the heads.

The second run was not filtered, nor macerated for long. I threw the botanicals in the boiler, and slowly brought the temp up.
however with this batch, when I proofed it down to 45% ABV it went cloudy.
I kept 1.5 liters of the second batch to infuse some berries through to make a pick Gin. This came out beautiful. I used the cloudy gin to proof this down, and the end result was amazing. Very clean and smooth.

The recipe was a Jessie from still it "My new favorite gin" Minus the peppercorns and the kiwi leaf.
Nomis80

equipment: Pure distilling reflux column

Postby tjx2 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:45 pm

Nomis80 wrote:
tjx2 wrote:Welcome Nomis.

I ran off 2 batches. The first batch was filtered through charcoal and then macerated for 36 hours.
Came out very clean and tasty. I made decent cuts from the reflux run, so only cut another 200 mls or so from the start of the run.
stopped collecting when the temp reached 92 degrees. This was showing about 62% ABV I cut about 400 mls from the tail and added it to the second batch along with the heads.

The second run was not filtered, nor macerated for long. I threw the botanicals in the boiler, and slowly brought the temp up.
however with this batch, when I proofed it down to 45% ABV it went cloudy.
I kept 1.5 liters of the second batch to infuse some berries through to make a pick Gin. This came out beautiful. I used the cloudy gin to proof this down, and the end result was amazing. Very clean and smooth.

The recipe was a Jessie from still it "My new favorite gin" Minus the peppercorns and the kiwi leaf.

Yeah wow, I'm looking at doing that recipe as my first gin except I'll be using white peppercorn instead of the kawakawa leaves. I was also looking at making his Blueberry gin, the wife is right into the berry infused gins at the moment.

How did you go with the botanicals in the boiler with small batches, anything get stuck on the bottom of the boiler?
tjx2

equipment: FSD Boka 2" Boka
FSD 2" Pot

Return to Welcome Centre