Ah hoy hoy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Ah hoy hoy

Postby heenos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:48 pm

A hello to all fello distillers! Long time spirit drinker first time brewer...have done a few batches which well aren't quite the best :/ lol but this one I'm onto now seems to be on the ticket :) except while typing this something nasty happend, all was going smooth, had about 1.5L come out (running at 58deg outlet temp) and all of a sudden it gushes out just under 1.5L of steamy hooch!!! Which gave the batch a murky look :S was crystal clear until the gush (luckily had another jug and quickly moved it into that one...) has since settled down but I'm buggerd to know why this happend) can I still salvage this brew?
heenos

equipment: T500 Turbo Still

Re: Ah hoy hoy

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 pm

Gday mate.

Sounds like it has puked on you.

Could be too much heat (prob not with your still) or the wash hadn't finished fermenting.

What type of wash was it? Start and finish gravities would help as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby heenos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:00 pm

The was was 6kg sugar, triple distilled yeast, 25L wash... Stopped fermenting after 7 days, left it just in case then added turbo clear, waited the 24hrs, syphoned into boiler, it was very clear wash, put the beads and 1 cap full of conditioner...started producing after an hour, all was good until 1.5L came out than bam! Just started gushing?? The gushing liquid is clear but hot.
heenos

Postby SBB » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:04 pm

The only time Ive had a T500 puke was when I over filled the boiler, best to stay around 25L....i think they will hold 27 or a bit more from memory.

[quote="heenos"]Long time spirit drinker first time brewer...have done a few batches which well aren't quite the best :/ lol [/quote

We had another fella turn up about a week back who said a similar thing to " few batches which well aren't quite the best ".......hes a lot happier now it seems.
You might like to have a quick look at the following thread, at a rough guess it could help you as well, and might save both you and some of the members here a lot of typing. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3328
Last edited by SBB on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby heenos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Forgot to mention turbo carbon was in the fermenting process as well, everything seemed perfect...lol obviously not...also only had 20L in the boiler
heenos

Postby heenos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:10 pm

Much appreciated SBB i'll look into that.
heenos

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:19 pm

Bet that wash cost a bit mate :whistle:

Out of interest you didn't decrease water flow or lose it all together? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby heenos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:31 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Bet that wash cost a bit mate :whistle:

Out of interest you didn't decrease water flow or lose it all together? :think:

yep a fair penny :(

no didn't touch the water flow, it flew up to about 85deg and back down to 58deg within the space of a minute, soon as it gushed out i moved the outlet to another jug to collect it, then when it settled I put it back to the original jug, which maintained the 58deg temp for about 5min then it happened again, once again I moved it to the other jug until temp dropped back to normal. original jug...J1 i'll call it now has a slight tinge of beige to it, where as J2 is clear but hot...not sure wether to throw it away or put it all back in the boiler and try again?? or whether I see how J2 turns out, both smell fine ie. no nasty metho smell

edit: didn't lose water flow
heenos

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:36 pm

:think: Does sound like it puked then but weird to do it mid run, especially if you have anti foaming agent and boiling chips.

I can only assume that as enough ethanol evaporated and your wash gained some temp in the boiler it has hit a crucial point and puked.

Try a TPW and see if it does it :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby heenos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:43 pm

sam_and_liv wrote::think: Does sound like it puked then but weird to do it mid run, especially if you have anti foaming agent and boiling chips.

I can only assume that as enough ethanol evaporated and your wash gained some temp in the boiler it has hit a crucial point and puked.

Try a TPW and see if it does it :D

Probably should have just kept it at the 50-52deg mark :( I assume neither jug will be able to be drinkable after watering down and putting through the ez filter? please tell me there is hope for this puked batch :pray:

I have seen the TPW and is something i will try in the near future :handgestures-thumbupleft:
heenos

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Coming from a turbo it was probably going to taste like shit anyway mate :handgestures-thumbdown:

You can either re run it and get rid of the puke (water it down to below 40% first) and make your cuts and drink it.

Or just turf it or give it to your mother in law and go one of the tried and proven recipes. TPW is a real easy place to start then there are a heap of different varieties for nuetrels using breakfast cereals :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Linny » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:49 pm

all my bad experiments , old wine , feints (heads and tails) etc all go into a 10L jerry,,, when that gets full i water it down and reflux the hell out of it... just have to make harsh cuts but i dont care,,,, its just stuff i would have thrown out
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Linny wrote:all my bad experiments , old wine , feints (heads and tails) etc all go into a 10L jerry,,, when that gets full i water it down and reflux the hell out of it... just have to make harsh cuts but i dont care,,,, its just stuff i would have thrown out

Good idea :clap:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby heenos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:51 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Coming from a turbo it was probably going to taste like shit anyway mate :handgestures-thumbdown:

You can either re run it and get rid of the puke (water it down to below 40% first) and make your cuts and drink it.

Or just turf it or give it to your mother in law and go one of the tried and proven recipes. TPW is a real easy place to start then there are a heap of different varieties for nuetrels using breakfast cereals :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mother in law it is :laughing-rolling:

i'll re-run it as mentioned (there is a god YESS) haha

then it's tried and proven recipes from here on! Thanks heaps for all your advice ^:)^
heenos

Postby Linny » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:51 pm

i also do that to my first generations ...
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby heenos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Linny wrote:all my bad experiments , old wine , feints (heads and tails) etc all go into a 10L jerry,,, when that gets full i water it down and reflux the hell out of it... just have to make harsh cuts but i dont care,,,, its just stuff i would have thrown out

good to know there's hope for my stuff up haha cheers
heenos

Ah hoy hoy

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Mate there is likker in what you've made, always keep and re-run and re-run again. Never waste perfectly good ethanol!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby SBB » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:59 pm

dont throw it out .......it can be re-run as S&L has already said.
Im interested to know if there are any more jugs.....or just jug one and jug two :think: :think:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby heenos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:50 pm

The re-run is being done, keeping it at 50 deg and re-used tainted batch, added an extra handful of beads along with half a capful of conditioner just to be safe...stupidly used a large 2L jug to begin with and had another one the same size...this time I pulled out the Lil glass jars with lids (have about 6 of them) filled 2 and a half so far, tested the 2nd one and she's sittin at 94% :) very relieved I didn't toss it...the joys of learning and great advice is priceless, I thank you all :D :text-thankyoublue:
heenos

Postby crow » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:11 am

Once you get into the tried and proven recipes you can throw all that carbon filtering crap in the back of the shed and forget about it :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I noticed in your posts there is no mention of cuts and am wondering if you are aware of this process. making good cuts will eliminate the need for filtering and will improve your final no end, it will also make hangovers a thing of the past :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Please take the time to read the following link as it will be the foundation to creating good spirit
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859
Edit the language in this link might indicate that it is only applicable to pot stills but really this should be amended as this method is applicable, in fact fundamental to all methods of distillation ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Next

Return to Welcome Centre