Ah hoy hoy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Ah hoy hoy

Postby heenos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:52 am

crow wrote:Once you get into the tried and proven recipes you can throw all that carbon filtering crap in the back of the shed and forget about it :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I noticed in your posts there is no mention of cuts and am wondering if you are aware of this process. making good cuts will eliminate the need for filtering and will improve your final no end, it will also make hangovers a thing of the past :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Please take the time to read the following link as it will be the foundation to creating good spirit
http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859
Edit the language in this link might indicate that it is only applicable to pot stills but really this should be amended as this method is applicable, in fact fundamental to all methods of distillation ;-)

Thank you crow, I'm only somewhat aware of cuts after watching popcorn sutton's video (my he R.I.P) I got 4 500ml jars last night as it was getting late and I was almost passing out watching it, very noob question but can I turn it back on and try and get more?

From what i understand of cuts, using my 500ml jars, number 1 is the most potent and should be avoided mixing with, #2 not as bad as #1, #3 & #4 should be the goodness and #5 and #6 should be blended with #1 & #2 concidering I get 3L at 94%..... :teasing-blah: i'll be quiet now and go read you link but that was my rough understanding of it
heenos

equipment: T500 Turbo Still

Postby Bushy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Farout. Hey Heenos. Welcome to the wonderful world of home distillation.
Assuming you put everything from the botched run back in. Throw jar one out.
Muchos metho in this jar. From there mate ur kind of flyin yr own ship. Read the cuts threads again. And again.
You'll get it.

Bushy

Whats a handful of beads?
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby heenos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Hiya bushy, 2nd run turned out perfect, piffed the first 250ml ended up with 4x500ml jars and the 5th filled half way and decided to keep that in a Gatorade bottle which I still have...cuts yes I think that will be my new bible! Doing a TPW now 25L :)

Edit: beads are those Lil ceramic roundies ment to stop the wash from boiling over
heenos

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:03 pm

:snooty: :doh: :snooty: :violence-smack:
You put WHAT in a Gatorade bottle??? Not high octane booze I hope :angry-banghead:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby heenos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Cupcake wrote::snooty: :doh: :snooty: :violence-smack:
You put WHAT in a Gatorade bottle??? Not high octane booze I hope :angry-banghead:

Yep :angry-banghead: I hang my head in shame
heenos

Postby Bushy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:07 pm

Sensational. You sound a bit happier with that.
It all gets easier, pretty soon you'll be wonderin whats next.
Try to keep yr spirits away from plastic though bud. Definitely get flavours and fuck knows what else leaching into yr hard won hooch.

Good health

Bushy

What the hell is a handful of beads? Ok gotit.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby heenos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Yea true cant expect perfection first go, that's why I joined here to learn and master from those much more experienced than myself...and hell I'll make a public ass of myself but everyone so far has helped and informed me on how to make less of an ass of myself :D can't thank you all enough :) love this place
heenos

Postby SBB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:15 pm

Ive already give you this thread to read , viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3328 .... its another blokes story of not knowing about cuts, he is now making a much better quality of drink and is far happier with his still. Crow has also given you one of the best links there is on cuts.
You CAN NOT make good cuts using 4 jars on a 25L wash using a T500......you might as well have stuck to the 2 jugs you started with.
You can churn out shit all day......its your choice in the end.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Mate,keep high octane booze away from plastic,better still,the rule I use,keep ALL booze away from plastics :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Go to the cheap shops,get friends to keep jars,and if all else fails,use empty stubbies :handgestures-thumbupleft: just don't use plastic. The booze you have in the Gatorade bottle,well I personally would turf in now,but here's a little exercise for you,leave it in there but put the bottle into one of the cooks baking trays,you can or can not ask permission first,I tend not to :shhh: Take a photo tonight and then one in the morning,then one at lunch time and so on
When the booze starts to eat the plastic,all the badness is absorbed into the booze and then into you :handgestures-thumbdown: :handgestures-thumbdown: We don't want that now do we
Your lesson for today,booze and plastic don't mix :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Stay safe :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Linny » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:38 pm

3L cookie jars are great from the reject shop :handgestures-thumbupleft: swing top lid and its big enough to fit your hand in to clean it ,,, you'll need it when you play with things like redskin vodka ,,, the gum is impossible to get out of a bottle.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby googe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:48 pm

That thread should be a sticky I recon SBB, well said cupcake :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby heenos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:51 pm

SBB wrote:Ive already give you this thread to read , http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3328 .... its another blokes story of not knowing about cuts, he is now making a much better quality of drink and is far happier with his still. Crow has also given you one of the best links there is on cuts.
You CAN NOT make good cuts using 4 jars on a 25L wash using a T500......you might as well have stuck to the 2 jugs you started with.
You can churn out shit all day......its your choice in the end.

I now realise that 4 jars doesn't do the trick, I'll be getting more and will be spending this week solely studing cuts...both links have been saved as a PDF, unfortunately I was posting and boiling at the same time last night. I have started a TPW and will be doing everything taught with that and future batches...please don't think I ignored your advice, I was tired it was late and I just wanted something so collected 4.5 jars.
heenos

Postby heenos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:53 pm

Cupcake wrote:Mate,keep high octane booze away from plastic,better still,the rule I use,keep ALL booze away from plastics :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Go to the cheap shops,get friends to keep jars,and if all else fails,use empty stubbies :handgestures-thumbupleft: just don't use plastic. The booze you have in the Gatorade bottle,well I personally would turf in now,but here's a little exercise for you,leave it in there but put the bottle into one of the cooks baking trays,you can or can not ask permission first,I tend not to :shhh: Take a photo tonight and then one in the morning,then one at lunch time and so on
When the booze starts to eat the plastic,all the badness is absorbed into the booze and then into you :handgestures-thumbdown: :handgestures-thumbdown: We don't want that now do we
Your lesson for today,booze and plastic don't mix :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Stay safe :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks heaps cupcake, lesson learnt!

I'm going to go kick my own ass now, take care all n thanks for all the advice :)
heenos

Postby Linny » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Dont worry we all know that its a long process ,,, most washes go for about 2 weeks , run it ,,, cuts ,,,, airing ,,, and then aging ... its a long process ... you will learn and you will ask questions ,,, no question is a dumb question as sometimes it could be something so out there that its a game changer...
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby heenos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:56 pm

Linny wrote:3L cookie jars are great from the reject shop :handgestures-thumbupleft: swing top lid and its big enough to fit your hand in to clean it ,,, you'll need it when you play with things like redskin vodka ,,, the gum is impossible to get out of a bottle.

Cheers man, went out this arvo n picked up 4 1L bottles from crazys...much prefer to find those 500ml glass jars with the screw top lid
heenos

Postby heenos » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Linny wrote:Dont worry we all know that its a long process ,,, most washes go for about 2 weeks , run it ,,, cuts ,,,, airing ,,, and then aging ... its a long process ... you will learn and you will ask questions ,,, no question is a dumb question as sometimes it could be something so out there that its a game changer...

It surely is something you can't do half assed your you pay the price, I first jumped in thinking ahh this will be easy, watched a few YouTube vids....ohhhh how wrong I was but I'm not giving up
heenos

Postby SBB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 pm

Some of those utube tutorials Ive seen are pretty bloody dodgey.....wouldn't pay to much attention to some of them. Especially the ones made by some of the commercial still manufacturers like Still Spirits.
Pretty much says bung a jug under the outlet and walk away, come back when the jugs full.........If its the one Ive seen anyway.
I cant see they do themselves any favors, a lot people must buy stills, follow manufactures instructions and become very disillusioned very quickly with the results.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby fizzydrink » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 pm

hey mate, i found red dot had some 300ml jars, a pack of 12 or 15?for about 11 bucks
i grabbed some of them for my cuts, not that i can tell tell the difference in smells, tried and couldnt do it, gonna go over it more and more like dave in that other thread and the one from kiwi. to sort myself out

cheers

fd
fizzydrink

equipment: Did have a Still spirits 25l super reflux, now a T500.
Slowly working my way up. ..

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre