Checking in from country SA

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Checking in from country SA

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:37 pm

I cut the top off of this today, definitely an old spray can of some sort... Pretty gunky inside and out.

And this is my collection!

Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby blond.chap » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Pretty copper
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Checking in from country SA

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:11 pm

I'm quite concerned about that copper boiler. For safety sake better PM me your address and I'll come take that off your hands and dispose of it responsibly:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks for the offer, I think I'll hang onto it for now though :D

I should mention that both of the 'buckets' that my copper pipe is in in the 2nd pic are made of copper as well... I think I'll clean them up and flatten them out into sheets, which I can then use for whatever I want!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Go for it Zak, nice pile of copper bits you have collected there , you should be able to make a good potty out of that lot :handgestures-thumbupleft:
\
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:15 pm

So I've been reading, and reading. And when I get bored I read more. Tried having a chat to my uncle's mate who makes his own spirits, and all he had to say was that I was wasting my time building a still, and that the best way to go was with turbo yeast etc. He gave me a bottle of his 'bourbon' (a plastic coke bottle, I'll add, which is how he keeps all of his liquor), and it tastes like a bad scotch with artificial sweeteners in it. My uncle reckons 'this is some of the smoothest stuff he's given me, but I still prefer Beam'.

Fuck all of that noise!

I've kept the last ~400ml of the stuff he gave me, I'm gunna keep it stashed until I start doing some of my own UJ's and compare them. If I can't make a bourbon that tastes better/is smoother than $30/bottle Jim Beam I'll be mighty disappointed.

Still no closer to building a still, but I have found a bit more copper :) but when I get my tax back I'll be building my shed, which will at least give me somewhere to start building a Boka!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby tipsy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Tried having a chat to my uncle's mate who makes his own spirits, and all he had to say was that I was wasting my time building a still, and that the best way to go was with turbo yeast etc. He gave me a bottle of his 'bourbon' (a plastic coke bottle, I'll add, which is how he keeps all of his liquor), and it tastes like a bad scotch with artificial sweeteners in it. My uncle reckons 'this is some of the smoothest stuff he's given me

Bet he thinks his shit don't stink either :laughing-rolling:

No offence 8-}
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:24 pm

Went for a look yesterday, cracked the top off another water heater, and the boiler is copper, but the insulation is white, fluffy balls of what I assume is asbestos... I wasn't in the mood for dealing with asbestos yesterday, so I left it. I'll go back at some point with a sperm suit and breathing gear and deal with it properly.

The boiler itself is a bit shorter, but a bit wider than the one I've already got (^ up there). I'll have to get it out of the casing to see properly though.

Still reading, still learning, still slowly collecting bits and pieces :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I'll go back at some point with a sperm suit and breathing gear and deal with it properly.

someone might want to borrow that for macs on saturday

But on topic, taking the time to find the right stuff is good to see. Its hard to not run into this at 100 miles an hour, but a little patience goes a long way
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre