Newbi signing in from the Eyre Peninsula

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Postby Matt_Pl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

Firstly thank you for the information provided throughout these forums.

I'm planning on building a 3' Boka still utilising a SS keg. Ive got soooo many unanswered questions, but I wont noob it up too much and will endeavor to find most of the answers while scrolling the forums.

So thanks once again.

Enjoy your day.
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Re: Newbi signing in from the Eyre Peninsula

Postby JayD » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft: 3" Boka is nice...
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Welcome mate, glad to have another South Aussie on board:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Kimbo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Hi Matt (not your real name I hope) Welcome to the forum mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby 1 2many » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:04 pm

G'day mate welcome aboard and enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:14 pm

:text-+1: Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BackyardBrewer wrote:Welcome mate, glad to have another South Aussie on board:-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Matt_Pl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:55 pm

A little bit more detail, two weeks ago while walking through an unnamed hardware store and came across a T500 starter kit. I thought damn what a great idea. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
So i started researching quality and price differences among online stores and bricks and mortar stores locally. This is when i stumbled across this forum so now Id rather build than buy (im a sparkie by trade and love side projects) I'm open to ideas, but as mentioned before my plan at this stage is to utilise a stainless steel keg, easy flange 2" then a 3" to 2" reducer , a 60 " 3" Boka with a double wound condenser, I'm considering having the top of the reflux column threaded to allow for cleaning and removing the packing etc.

I have seen numerous plans in these forums.

4 stupid questions tho cause I'm going crazy Please..

All the guides I have seen relate to building a Bokakob still, but for the life of me i cant find a guide on operating one.. Is there a guide to prevent myself from blowing up the shed??

2" TriClamps? i have found them on Ebay from China, but they look pretty dodgy, Is there a source readily available within Australia that does mail order?

Copper mesh supplier for packing?

My aim is quality Bourbon and Scotch that I can enjoy with my friends is it better for a noob with too much time and money create a bokakob reflux still ( i read that with the packing removed they can run as a pot still as well) or a completely different design.

On a separate note If anyone needs an electrician in Country SA to wire up a couple of heater elements just send me a PM.

Cheers guys and Gals.
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby Bushy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:08 pm

Hey Matt.
Go the bubbler for sure dude. You seem keen and hooked already. If you don't make the bubbler now you will later, so save yrself a build.
Of course thats just my opinion. Welcome aboard mate :greetings-waveyellow:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby punchy21 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If your after scotch and bourbon then you can't go past the trusty old pot still, especially for starting out on...just my opinion

Copper mesh, google amphora society, you,buy it by the pound if I remember correctly...

Tri clamps? I think there was someone round here selling those... :think:

Boka running instructions... The VM instructions in the newbies section, are very similar but figures will vary from rig to rig... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby crow » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi ya Matt and welcome to the forum bud. yeah my old man grew up on a farm at Tummby so I know that area pretty well , nice place ;-) . Listen Boka's are shit hot and a 3" will pump out a good neutral at a good rate by all means build one but.... I would just forget all about the detuned boka pot still set up . A pot still will cost you jack shit to make and will waste the best part of 2 hrs to build, this is your cheapest fastest option and apart from the pre mentioned plated still ( bubbler/flute/trayed still) is your best option to achieve the products you mentioned. IMHO a detuned reflux still still refluxes to a degree and therefore will act like an inefficient reflux still as opposed to a pot still (so not your arse nor your elbow)and I think you will be disappointed with the results (either ultra light or contaminated tasting flavoured spirits) I'm not telling you what to do just what I would recommend what I think you should do :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Yep just build a quick pot to start with if you like the flavoured drinks.

Once you have done a couple of runs through it and see what you like will determine wether you want to go down the bubbler track :handgestures-thumbupleft:

For clamps PM Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good to see another SA bloke here ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby tipsy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:09 am

Welcome mate. :greetings-waveyellow:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:51 am

This is uncanny... a few weeks ago I joined up after seeing a T500, I'm from the EP, and I'm building a 3" Bok... Welcome to the forums mate.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby bt1 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:10 pm

welcome matt,

Good to see another South Aussie on here.

Not sure a 3" Boka would be my first choice for as you put it quality bourbons and whiskys but it will make a very clean spirit, so a light clean may be your taste prefs...god knows I've been chasing it on a bubblers for ages and it's no given...takes time.

mac seels triclamps or local Adelaide mob I use is http://www.prochem.com.au/ good mob, good quality stamped gear plenty solutions for SS bits...have a look see.

Get stuck bloke ask.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

I second prochem, used them on bt's recommendation and they know their stainless.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Return to Welcome Centre