Rookie Sandgroper

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Rookie Sandgroper

Postby Emtyskull » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi all
Another rookie from Jurien in WA
Me and the old boy have been making our own beer for years (homemade kegerator) and decided it was time to have a crack at the hard stuff!
I have modified a top loading electric autoclave, being we are both pensioners funds are very limited and in rural WA it makes it difficult to source shit we need. Ive had a plumber mate help with the copper for the tower and condensor (copied a still a Russian dude was distilling vodka in his kitchen with)
The main thing concerning me is the unit itself is medical grade Ali, I am currently sourcing a stainless pot to replace the cheap shitty Ali one that slides inside. being that the wash will be in stainless is the unit being medical Ali a concern for the old heads here????
Ive read so much my head is swimming in info and questions, I am planning to run a few litres of water thru it this weekend just to see if it works (if its no good for moonshine then we plan on distilling lavender and the like).
I am having problems uploading pic of my contraption (looks very crude compared to some of the ones here,,, and i was so proud of myself too) being the file size is too big.
If anyone knows where in Perth or surrounds i can get an old milk churn from I would be grateful.
Thanks for an awesome site and even better forum.
You guys rock
Matt
Emtyskull

equipment: in progress

Re: Rookie Sandgroper

Postby JayD » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Kimbo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:34 pm

great to have ya here Matt :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Sam. » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I know there are a lot of people that won't use aluminium even for cooking dinner in, so I don't reckon I would want a still made from it. Can't remember exactly the medical reason behind it, might have been alzheimers, or maybe not? :laughing-rolling:

Gumtree and Ebay are your friend for dairy equipment :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Bushy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:40 am

I got no idea what yr autoclave is gonna look like. Post a piccy mate. Enlighten us.
However, as a kid I did used to stay in my uncles shack at Jurien. Excellent piece of planet.
Welcome aboard.
Bushy
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:21 am

Welcome mate.
Sorry, I thought u said autoclave... Last time I saw one of them was at university in pathology lab... That one was pretty big but tens of thousands of dosh.
Be interested to see the still when its ready.

Its nice at jurien. Good fishing and camping. Except every time I have been up there it was blowing a fu**ing gale. Had to take extra care when having a piss cos the wind would blow it a few metres in front of u and then next minute u had wet toes
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Matumbo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi mate, I,m a bit further north than you but pass through Jurien a bit since the coast road opened. Good luck with your project.
Matumbo
Matumbo

equipment: 4" 4 bubble plate cm column with 1m 2.5" packed section for neutral

Return to Welcome Centre