Stilling to improve my marriage.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Stilling to improve my marriage.

Postby jamjar » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi All

I am a total novice when it comes to stilling, but I am hoping it will improve my relationship with my wife in a number of ways.

(1) Out of sight out of mind – If I am up in my shed, I must be doing something not “bludging around” on the couch watching TV etc. so saves her stressing out having to find me something to do.
(2) Her consuming some of the final product might make her eyes lose focus a bit and she might see me in a better light, plus a drink helps bring out her friendlier side.
(3) A night cap might help dull her over-acute hearing in regard to my snoring (which I have never heard) thus allowing me to spend the whole night in my own bed with limited whacks to my ribs.
(4) Saving money – if she thinks I am saving HER money in the drink department I will get some brownie points. Initial setup costs are covered (hidden) due to extra in my tax return and she has seen the free keg I got and the reflux still will just like a bit of pipe I had lying around.

Now I have got my justification out of the way, in that I am only doing it “for her benefit”, I will see if I can have some fun with it :D :D

Anyway I bought a copper reflux still from a guy making them on EBAY , whether his was a good or bad decision, I will seeing but for a (CRANKY OLD BLOKE) he seemed very helpful. I am going with a keg with a 2200w electric element and have 4 x 30l fermenters to start with.

If there is anything else you guys recommend that I must have please let me know.

Regards

Greg
from Mackay
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Re: Stilling to improve my marriage.

Postby maheel » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:24 pm

lol like your justification hope it pans out ok

my wife hates it when i stay in the shed all day.... then i tell her i could play golf or have a drag boat and never be home either :naughty:

that still you bought is not the best design, give it a run and see what you think.
maybe in a while you could modify it or build a possibly better one as there are some easier and better designs around (boka etc)

welcome to the site jamjar
maheel

Postby SBB » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Welcome to the forum Jamjar
Learning to distill and to build stills is a big learning curve......plenty of rewards for those who are willing to learn.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bundy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:28 pm

welcome to the forum jamjar.cranky old bloke is now claiming his stills are lead free.i along with others bought them 12 months ago and they were all lead solderer. nice guy to talk to but plays with the truth a bit.
with mine i could never get the temp to work properly. i think some of the other members got mcstill to modify the still for them but stand to be corrected.i cut mine up to use 5omm pipe for pot still.there is some posts on here about them do a search( copper reflux still on ebay )
there's guys here that will help you if you have problems just ask.
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Welcome jamjar, plenty of good people here to steer you in the right direction.

Pretty sure there's at least a couple of members local to your area too ;)

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bundy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:24 pm

jamjar check your PM
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Postby jamjar » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks for the Welcomes.

Looks like I made a big mistake buying that still, I went of all his positive feedback.

I am not even going to bother setting it up after reading some of the posts here. I will start looking again, I want an enjoyable experience so I had better get the right bit of kit first up.
Better go look in the Classifieds section for a better built unit I am not really interested in a store bought, unless you guys tell that is the way to go.

My plumbing skills rate around the same as my dancing one- ie the agility of a brick and the coordination of a wombat, so I need to find something that screws and bolts into place rather than welding etc.

Greg
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:25 pm

I would be careful buying any of the stills listed on ebay, most of them are of a CM (cooling management) design and are probably the worst of all stills for a beginner to start trying to learn the art with, well besides an air still anyway.

All is not lost though, you have a bit of copper pipe that could come in useful one day :laughing-rolling:

You've found the right place to get advise, tips & help to get you on your way, it's just a shame you didnt find us first like many others that end up in your situation.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby QLD.Andy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Welcome to the forum jamjar.
Now, dont muck around just get McStill to knock up a proper rig and be done with it.
It might cost a little more to begin with???? (compared to ebay crap) but you will have it for life without problems.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:49 pm

Welcome to probably the best forum on the www,you'll find a lot of knowledge and help here mate,I know I have.I have only been at this for about 5 weeks mate and it has become very addictive
Any questions mate,don't be afraid to ask,the guys here are great,just be aware of Mac's edit button :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Ps make friends with someone who works at the sugar mill,I have :dance:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:18 pm

G'dayJamjar
As a newby myself, I can say the blokes on here are a living encycelopedia ensiklapedia encyclapodium :oops: , :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: ( fuck it) book of knowledge( fuck'n school teacher was right , ya should pay attn :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: )
welcome to the site and read ,read ,read and when ya sick of that read some more :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Cheers
Stubbydrainer
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:30 pm

McStill wrote: are probably the worst of all stills for a beginner to start trying to learn the art with, well besides an air still anyway. Cheers.

Please explain!!! :oops: :oops: :x :x :lol: :lol:
Frank

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:23 pm

Airstills?? Will have to google that,never heard of them
Cane Toad

Postby Frank » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Mate no bother the Google...
An Airstill (IMHO of course :lol: :lol: ) is a perfectly acceptable and typical way for a novice/small scale drinker to introduce themselves to the art of distillation. It'll run on solar power ( :clap: ), it requires f#ckall welding ability ;), it doesn't take up half the shed (esp when there's other things that do like a workbench, lathe, rideon, 4WD etc etc filling up the blody space); needs no extra water; it'll produce an "reasonable" quantity of "reasonable" spirit in a consistent and reliable manner and, in my case at least, cost VERY little to acquire. 8-)
So... anything else you need to know ??? :text-lol:

Footnote: BTW "reasonable" here is defined as "satisfactory" relative to standard/average level drinking habits and tastes
Frank

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Frank wrote:Mate no bother the Google...
An Airstill (IMHO of course :lol: :lol: ) is a perfectly acceptable and typical way for a novice/small scale drinker to introduce themselves to the art of distillation. It'll run on solar power ( :clap: ), it requires f#ckall welding ability ;), it doesn't take up half the shed (esp when there's other things that do like a workbench, lathe, rideon, 4WD etc etc filling up the blody space); needs no extra water; it'll produce an "reasonable" quantity of "reasonable" spirit in a consistent and reliable manner and, in my case at least, cost VERY little to acquire. 8-)
So... anything else you need to know ??? :text-lol:

Footnote: BTW "reasonable" here is defined as "satisfactory" relative to standard/average level drinking habits and tastes

:text-lol: I love the way you portray things Frank :text-lol:

Well done :clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanks for the insite Frank,because I,when looking at all the 'so called' experts out there probably have a drinking problem :laughing-rolling: I love the shit.... :laughing-rolling: ....I have no problem going out and buying 3 bottles of Jim Beam Small Batch,I can definitely afford it,I don't drink to excess (most times),it doesn't effect my work or family life,what I'm looking for is the satisfaction of making something myself that is reasonably close to what I enjoy.
To some,making 600ml at time at 60ABV is fine,me,I've always believed that SIZE MATTERS,ask my missus,ask my boat :laughing-rolling: So as you said mate each to their own,I did google Airstill,and all I can say is,'All Hail The God Of Copper....McStill'... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:24 pm

All Hail The God Of Copper....McStill'...

Keep sucking up, I wont build it cheaper :text-lol:

I don't drink to excess

That's the funniest thing I've read all day :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:36 pm

:crying-green: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Big Don wrote::crying-green:

:laughing-rolling:

:teasing-poke:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Well said Frank ;)
I dont thoik Socrates or Confucius could have said it better :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Very Profound indeed
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Welcome Centre