Commercial brew tin

Discussions about beer and wine making.

Re: Commercial brew tin

Postby B-Man » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:02 pm

I picked up some corny's from keg king 2021 they had a 10% off deal maybe black Friday. and got them for about $90
was hoping they had another one in 2022 black Friday but they didn't so ended up getting a few from keg land. at around the $100 + freight.

I have spent more in stuff for beer brewing than stilling atm!
I just do a woolies lager as no Local HBS and they were on special for $8.80 a tin. plus the missus used her 10% off shop aswell so got them at a great price! speaking of beer down to my last keg so need to put a couple more on. too easy to go through the kegs when the missus drinks it aswell.
Would love to get into some allgrain but if I did it wouldn't end up being beer :-D so ill just stick to the cheap easy to drink beer.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby Birdman85 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:05 pm

B-Man wrote:Would love to get into some allgrain but if I did it wouldn't end up being beer :-D so ill just stick to the cheap easy to drink beer.

I'm the same, would much rather spend my time and energy perfecting a good whiskey over beer. If i'm desperate for a boutique beer ill go to the local bottle-o and grab a tried and tested winner.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:26 pm

Don’t forget guys you need to drink something while you wait for the whiskey to age :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Birdman85 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:15 pm

Anyone have a go to beer recipe from the HBS?

I did a Kolsch using a Morgan's Pilsener base, safale k97 yeast and hallertau hops.

I'm after an easy drinking pale Ale for after a hot day of lawn mowing. Don't want a Great Northern crisp, after something like a Furphy or Mountain Goat.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:02 pm

Birdman85 wrote:Anyone have a go to beer recipe from the HBS?

I did a Kolsch using a Morgan's Pilsener base, safale k97 yeast and hallertau hops.

I'm after an easy drinking pale Ale for after a hot day of lawn mowing. Don't want a Great Northern crisp, after something like a Furphy or Mountain Goat.

G'Day Birdman :handgestures-thumbupleft: ,

Well mate after seeing your post I just had to go up to my shed to sample that 2 week old Pale Ale homebrew :scared-eek: well man after only 2 weeks I'm sold :laughing-rolling: Had one stubbie then just had to have another :obscene-drinkingchug: and this week i'll be putting down another down this week.

Just a bog standard Coopers pale ale from the supermarket and one Coopers No.2 Enhancer and use US-05 yeast that one from the group buy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This recipe would suit a corny keg and by only going 19 litres would bump up the final ABV as I found with 21 litres 3.8% was the final ABV.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:17 pm

Well guy's at a month old once chilled this recipe has me won :handgestures-thumbupleft: Put one down last Sunday and checked just now and down to 1013 with no activity. So will check a again tomorrow and if no change bottle washing is on :laughing-rolling: then on Sunday if the FG aint changed a bottled it will be :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Got the weekend off so I'm thinking as I have toned down the malt rush like Coppers pale does there's a smooth malting taste after of going to the HBS and get a bag of malt barely to add which would add to to the starting bill.

Or time to soak some barely tonight then when the hot spell starts next week it will ready for roasting which my solar oven does nicely for Whisky but for beer this will be the first..

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:19 pm

Had to take my daughter this morning to scouts and one the way home got some carbonation drops and lucky I did :scared-eek: On taking the lid off on friday I didn't close it totally and when I finally got to the shed it had some white crap forming :scared-eek:

So straight onto bottle washing then lunch so the bottles had a good time in the sun and came away with 30 longnecks and 4 throwdowns :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I reckon the next batch will be coopers real ale using the same method of 1.5 Kg's of No.2 enhancer and the US-05 yeast as I do think this yeast is the go for cheap homebrew :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Listo » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:55 pm

If not using the tin yeast, where are you guys buying your yeast?
I don’t have handy access to a home brew shop, so I’m about to start using a mob at cheapyeast.com.au, I couldn’t advocate their service yet, but I’ll get back to you guys on that too if no one has used him
Listo
Listo
Site Donor

equipment: 5Star 4” Modular Pot Still

Postby BigRig » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:33 pm

Listo wrote:If not using the tin yeast, where are you guys buying your yeast?
I don’t have handy access to a home brew shop, so I’m about to start using a mob at cheapyeast.com.au, I couldn’t advocate their service yet, but I’ll get back to you guys on that too if no one has used him
Listo

A little late on a reply, sorry.

A few months ago there was a US-05 (copy) group buy organised by wellsy. I have been using it for home brew, its clean and crisp with little off flavours.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:58 pm

BigRig wrote:
A few months ago there was a US-05 (copy) group buy organised by wellsy. I have been using it for home brew, its clean and crisp with little off flavours.

Yea I did get one of those so I tried out a Cooper Pale Ale with that yeast and it has has become my staple drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now it has been awhile since I did a lager and this morning while buying new work clothes saw a few tins of Coopers European Lager on special and where a 25 litre ferment cost about $40 I'm thinking of doing a 60 litre brew so I'm thinking 3 tins of the Coopers junk $54 5 kg's of malt barely powdered $? current price and have a few No.2 enhancers on hand to get a full ferment at 1046 which is my go for beer. Then use S-22 Lager yeast and the cold temps here will suit the yeast so no heat belts needed to kick start that real ale ferment I have going :angry-banghead:

This should net around 90 longnecks so plenty of lager to go around but the ones that get to actually age will taste that much better.

I will say this US-05 yeast for homebrew tins is the go but when is making a lager using the larger yeast is the way to go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:37 pm

Well last ferment was a Real Ale with the US05 yeast and with that cold snap we had here the ferment had stalled on 1020 :angry-banghead: so put a 5 star heat belt on and wrapped it up with more blankets so after a week of 24 hour heating it showed on 3 days checking 1010 is the FG for this yeast :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So my next beer ferment is a Coopers European Lager with a 1Kg pack of chez malt with a tea bag of finishing hops to dangle in the ferment. It did say put into boiling water and stir then let it sit for 10 minutes to bring out the flavour.

Also put one No.2 Enhancer in and found when the fermenter was 3/4 full the SG was 1050 :scared-eek: so another No.2 Enhancer was bought to get a SG of 1051 :handgestures-thumbupleft: off memory this S-23 lager yeast does finish around 1015-1020 going the higher SG was needed.

So the cost
European Lager Tin $18
1Kg of the malt and hops $13
2 off No.2 Enhancers $20.50
One S-23 Lager yeast $8

Not my plan was a big ferment :scared-eek: so the price will be double :laughing-rolling:

I did make this recipe a few years ago and I reckon I'll be bringing out my snapon beer glass's again as this is such a nice drop.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby JammL » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:28 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Well last ferment was a Real Ale with the US05 yeast and with that cold snap we had here the ferment had stalled on 1020 :angry-banghead: so put a 5 star heat belt on and wrapped it up with more blankets so after a week of 24 hour heating it showed on 3 days checking 1010 is the FG for this yeast :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So the US05 yeast didn't turn out so well? I haven't tried them yet, but I guess I don't need to :) Or does it depend on the temperature?
JammL

equipment: Brewzilla

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:40 pm

JammL wrote:
RuddyCrazy wrote:Well last ferment was a Real Ale with the US05 yeast and with that cold snap we had here the ferment had stalled on 1020 :angry-banghead: so put a 5 star heat belt on and wrapped it up with more blankets so after a week of 24 hour heating it showed on 3 days checking 1010 is the FG for this yeast :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So the US05 yeast didn't turn out so well? I haven't tried them yet, but I guess I don't need to :) Or does it depend on the temperature?

Jamal the US-05 yeast does make this commercial beer into a nice beer so you have to try it.

Now my latest I finally found a sparkling ale tin and with me working night shift I did see the ferment was getting cold so I turned on the 5 star heating belt, well left it for a few days and when i went to check the ferment was very warm :angry-banghead: 52C in fact :angry-banghead:
It did get stuck on 1020 so I thought a bit of warmth would be good, take few days unattended and well is this beer gone well it does still smell the goods and no infection so put a bog standard yeast and as the ferment was cold put the heat back on, now as I'm home I will keep a check on it as that job of cleaning bottles hasn't come around yet :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby bluc » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:59 pm

Any unhopped brew tin will make whiskey. A better whiskey then sugarhead but not quite all grain..have fun and enjoy experimenting... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Previous

Return to Beer & Wine