BBQ

A forum for sharing your favorite food recipes and condiments.

Re: BBQ

Postby A&O » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:19 pm

Ooohhhh, that’s torture
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 pm

:greetings-waveyellow: awesome setup u got there..I been using my uds for couple yrs now. Bourbon and smoked meat seem to go together, both better if u make it urself :cool: do u have any decent rubs low in sugar and chillies for the kids?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby chrus86 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am

Wobblyboot wrote::greetings-waveyellow: awesome setup u got there..I been using my uds for couple yrs now. Bourbon and smoked meat seem to go together, both better if u make it urself :cool: do u have any decent rubs low in sugar and chillies for the kids?

Love a UDS! And I agree, everything is better made yourself, only just building my first still so yet to do the bourbon or whisky!

We sell our own range of rubs! Barbecue Mafia. One of them is hot, but the other 2 I designed specifically because I hate sweetness!
chrus86

equipment: Obtaining final parts for 4" pot still on keg boiler.

Postby chrus86 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:48 am

There is a big BBQ festival in Rouse Hill this weekend coming at Australian Brewery if anyone is interested. You wont miss my smoker so say hi if you do pop down! Ask for "Ballsy"
chrus86

equipment: Obtaining final parts for 4" pot still on keg boiler.

Postby A&O » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 am

I’m jealous to those of you who can make it to Rouse Hill
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby Listo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:12 am

I thought I’d revive this thread as I was given a smoker for my birthday. It’s a double door gas job made by coolabah.
Are there any recommended beginners tips to get a halfwit on the right track, from getting started to what chips and rubs?
Thanks
Listo
Site Donor

equipment: 5Star 4” Modular Pot Still

Postby Woods314 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:46 am

Listo wrote:I thought I’d revive this thread as I was given a smoker for my birthday. It’s a double door gas job made by coolabah.
Are there any recommended beginners tips to get a halfwit on the right track, from getting started to what chips and rubs?
Thanks

Download the Hark Smoker cooking guide it has the basics as well as some advanced techniques and recipes. Hark is a brand of smoker.
Woods314

equipment: T500 and pot still attachment.

Postby clintonb » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:05 pm

I have this exact type of smoker I got for my birthday a few years ago and yes it is a rebadged Hark.
I tend to do pork ribs in it and they come out superb, I bloody love em. The only thing I find is I have to have it turned right down to do the ribs slow ie 6 hours or so and it sometimes blows out if it is a little windy outside, so I need to keep checking it.
As far as chips go I usually do a combo of 45% apple or other fruit wood, 45% hickory and 10% redgum, this combo gives a lovely smoke. I usually put in half of the chips in at the start and then redo the other half of the chips 45 mins later.
As far as a rub goes this is what I use/do:

Mustard – Squeeze on dijonnaise. (enough to coat ribs) - then put on RUB

RUB
Salt – 1 Tablespoon
Brown sugar – ½ cup
Smoked paprika – 1/3 cup
Sweet paprika – 1/3 cup
Black pepper – 1 teaspoon
Cumin – 1 teaspoon
Onion powder – ¼ cup
Garlic powder – ¼ cup

Cheers

Clinton
clintonb

equipment: 118L SS boiler with a copper 4 Inch, 8 bubble plated column and a 650mm packed section complete with a carterhead and gin basket.
35L SS boiler with a copper 2 Inch pelican pot and gin basket.

Previous

Return to The Tucker Box