3" ss/copper build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: 3" ss/copper build

Postby rash » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:00 pm

Sam. wrote:Looking good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What's with the drain from the parrot coming off half way down? :think:

Thanks Sam, not a drain, its just a support to hold the parrot up. It attaches to the side of the boiler.
rash

equipment: Pot still
4 plate, 3" bubbler on 50ltr keg boiler.

Postby Sam. » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:01 pm

Ah that makes sense, I assumed because the other fitting weren't on then there was going to be something on the end of that bit 8-}
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby db1979 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:43 am

Well done mate! Get her plumbed up and running :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bayshine » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:48 pm

That's just his bracket I think :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:10 pm

3600wt is a bit on the high side for a 3inch spirit run ,but will heat up and strip pretty quick,have ya thought about a power control ta get the best of both worlds,or a second smaller element say 2000-2400wt is another option .Like the parrot support idear and the sight glass mounts your almost there,good luck with the maiden run.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby rash » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:13 pm

haha, yep, just a bracket..
thanks for the comments guys, has been a lot of fun to build!

hillzabilly wrote:3600wt is a bit on the high side for a 3inch spirit run ,but will heat up and strip pretty quick,have ya thought about a power control ta get the best of both worlds,or a second smaller element say 2000-2400wt is another option .Like the parrot support idear and the sight glass mounts your almost there,good luck with the maiden run.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

thanks hillz, yep 3600w is high, but i was wanting a fast heat up time. planning on running a power controller. I have a SCR voltage controller I was using on my last still to control 2200watts.... but cant remember what it was rated to. is there a way to test what it can handle? (without pulling 3600w through it and killing it :scared-eek: ) cant wait to get this thing running!
Ash
rash

Postby db1979 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:45 am

You could add another socket to your boiler and install your 2200 W element, once the wash has heated switch over to the 2200 W element and use your voltage controller without any worries. If you have a second circuit you could heat up with both and save even more heat up time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Are you going to insulate your boiler?
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 pm

rash wrote:haha, yep, just a bracket..
thanks for the comments guys, has been a lot of fun to build!

hillzabilly wrote:3600wt is a bit on the high side for a 3inch spirit run ,but will heat up and strip pretty quick,have ya thought about a power control ta get the best of both worlds,or a second smaller element say 2000-2400wt is another option .Like the parrot support idear and the sight glass mounts your almost there,good luck with the maiden run.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

thanks hillz, yep 3600w is high, but i was wanting a fast heat up time. planning on running a power controller. I have a SCR voltage controller I was using on my last still to control 2200watts.... but cant remember what it was rated to. is there a way to test what it can handle? (without pulling 3600w through it and killing it :scared-eek: ) cant wait to get this thing running!
Ash

Yeh I would get a sparky ta test both controler and guard,electrickery is not my strong point and its not worth taking risks in that department,if ya had some pics of the controler components another member may be able to advise better than me.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby rash » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 pm

db1979 wrote:You could add another socket to your boiler and install your 2200 W element, once the wash has heated switch over to the 2200 W element and use your voltage controller without any worries. If you have a second circuit you could heat up with both and save even more heat up time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Are you going to insulate your boiler?

The 2200w element is not a rod type one. Its in a hot water urn converted to pot still boiler. But nice idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yeah, would like to insulate it, but havnt looked into what to use yet.
rash

Postby rash » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:17 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Yeh I would get a sparky ta test both controler and guard,electrickery is not my strong point and its not worth taking risks in that department,if ya had some pics of the controler components another member may be able to advise better than me.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Yeah, will get my sparky mate to check it out for me. Found one on ebay that looks exactly the same as mine and its 3600w rated. Not sure if they make it in different sizes though. Thanks,
Ash
rash

Postby db1979 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:05 pm

My go-to mate for electrical assistance says whatever they're rated at is usually only for short durations and to be on the safe side they only cope with half the wattage over long durations. I don't know if this applies to all circuit types but if there's some truth in what he says, you'll want one that can at least handle 7200 W.

My voltage controller is rated at 5000 W and I only run 2000 W through it.
db1979

Postby Fishleg » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Sweet build!!! What filler did you use to TIG the copper?
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Postby rash » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:20 pm

db1979 wrote:My go-to mate for electrical assistance says whatever they're rated at is usually only for short durations and to be on the safe side they only cope with half the wattage over long durations. I don't know if this applies to all circuit types but if there's some truth in what he says, you'll want one that can at least handle 7200 W.

My voltage controller is rated at 5000 W and I only run 2000 W through it.

Sounds like a good idea to go bigger than needed. Might just get another one..

Fishleg wrote:Sweet build!!! What filler did you use to TIG the copper?

Thanks mate, i just stripped the plastic off some copper electrical wire and twisted some strands together. Worked well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ash
rash

Postby Fishleg » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Like your resourceful ways mate. All the gathered bits for your still, run out of solder? Ah fuck it I'll hit it with the TIG and see what happens. Very well done ^:)^
Fishleg

Postby rash » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Fishleg wrote:Like your resourceful ways mate. All the gathered bits for your still, run out of solder? Ah fuck it I'll hit it with the TIG and see what happens. Very well done ^:)^

Aw thanks mate, always like to have a go at things myself, whether they work or not, alwYs learning :D
Ash
rash

Postby rash » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:45 pm

So, this rig is good to go!
got it all plumbed up..
plumbing.jpg

then I gave it all a good citric acid bath..
clean.jpg

stuck it all back together...
setup.jpg

ran a vinegar run through it and found only 1 leak on the weld around the bottom tri clamp ferrule. I pulled it all down as I realized I had forgot to drill a weep hole on each of the plates also... :doh: . I TIG'd up the leak, drilled some 1.5mm weep holes, stuck it all back together and overtightened the bottom sight glass bolts..... smashed it.... :doh: . quickly cut a copper SG replacement and filled the boiler with about 8ltrs of BWKO heads and tails feints from a couple of yrs ago and a heap of water.
Gets up to temp pretty quick!
My power controller has not turned up yet so had to keep the whole 3600w into it for the whole run. Top plate was the only one I could view and it only flooded once through the whole run. Just turned power off for a few seconds to let it unload.
Running it flat out, my RC had no chance of getting anywhere near full reflux, but still made obvious changes to the output stream. PC kept up no problem :handgestures-thumbupleft: . ended up pushing about 2.5ltrs through sitting on a steady 90-91%. it then started dropping down to around 88% so I closed off the RC gate and ran it fast down to about 30%. Smelled so good! (yes its getting tipped out :handgestures-thumbupleft: )
Cleaning runs over, very happy with the outcome. Got a vid, just gotta work out how to put it up....
Thanks everyone for your input! Now have a Rum wash ready to go, and will be hopefully running it next weekend. Just gotta get the power controller wired in and I will order another SGlass.
Ash
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rash

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:00 pm

:dance: :clap: well done, once you get that controller there's nothing stopping you, except a new sight glass :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby rash » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Doubleuj wrote::dance: :clap: well done, once you get that controller there's nothing stopping you, except a new sight glass :laughing-rolling:

Thanks mate, broken glass wont be holding me back! Haha, but should get an order in tonight. My controller turned up today, so can wire it in now :D
Forgot how nice these rum washes make your whole house smell! Cant wait to run it!
rash

Postby Fishleg » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Looks the biz mate!! Well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Fishleg

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:28 pm

Thats a sweet bit of kit mate ,I am sure she will make your effort worth while once ya get a feel for her and dial in on ya power control,happy stillin.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills