Chocko's Bubbler begins...!

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Chocko's Bubbler begins...!

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:32 pm

Professor Green wrote:That's some mighty fine copper work Chocko.

Thanks fellas, just finishing my 2nd spirit run now, loving the stuff that's coming off.

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby AJS » Sun May 12, 2019 6:59 pm

I'm slowly accumulating copper and stainless to attempt a build, and I hope it'll come up half as good as this one mate. Looks pro.......maybe 5 star will offer you a job :))
AJS

equipment: Pot still into a thumper

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:28 pm

AJS wrote:I'm slowly accumulating copper and stainless to attempt a build, and I hope it'll come up half as good as this one mate. Looks pro.......maybe 5 star will offer you a job :))

Thank you, you're too kind though, close ups might change your mind!
How great would that be though, doing a job you love and having the right gear to do it!
Cheers,

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby Chocko6969 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:42 pm

Professor Green wrote:
Chocko6969 wrote:Here's the Gin basket, this thing is bloody heavy and I am a little concerned about the offset weight, may need to construct some sort of support as I set it up

Stick a longer section of pipe on the outtake of the gin basket and run it back across to the other side of the still so the basket and reservoir are on one side and your pc is on the other so they’d balance the weight out a bit.

Thanks Prof, I think it's a winner.

First set up to do a cleaning/sac alc run which I'll be watching and touching closely to see how it performs. I have figured out however I'll need to move it to the covered area just out the back where I do my packed section spirit runs, bloody ceiling is too low to change baskets. I am only going to do a smaller run with a single basket so will see how that comes off.

Chocko
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chocko6969

Postby RC Al » Fri May 24, 2019 6:55 pm

Because of how the different botanicals release flavours at different parts of the run, you should be running hearts through it to make gin

You can do that with just the defleg so you can swap baskets - pot still mode essentially
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Chocko6969 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:09 pm

RC Al wrote:Because of how the different botanicals release flavours at different parts of the run, you should be running hearts through it to make gin

You can do that with just the defleg so you can swap baskets - pot still mode essentially

Thanks Al, yes I've been gathering hearts for the last few runs with packed section configuration, so essentially the Gin will be triple distilled by the time it's done!

I'm still a little unsure on the method though, as you said different flavours at different parts of the run (ABV levels). If I charged with say 8-9ltrs of hearts diluted to around 35% will give me about a 22ltr charge, then run this, would the one basket of botanicals be sufficient for the whole run or would I need to change? I've heard different flavours come off as low as 20% but this ABV wouldn't happen until the end of the run/2nd basket, essentially 'wasting' these 'lower ABV' flavours from the first basket?
Hope I explained this correctly!

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby RC Al » Fri May 24, 2019 7:19 pm

What i was getting at was your height issues, you can run with only one or two plates, or even none

Cant help with the botanicals, I have noticed a trend where people are building smaller pot stills just for doing the gin though, food for thought
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Professor Green » Fri May 24, 2019 7:20 pm

Just lose a couple of the tees Chocko. That should give you enough clearance to change the basket. You'll just need to collect your spirits a little closer to the ground.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:09 am

Professor Green wrote:Just lose a couple of the tees Chocko. That should give you enough clearance to change the basket. You'll just need to collect your spirits a little closer to the ground.

Thanks Al and Prof, it's often the simplest suggestions that are the best eh!

Chocko
Chocko6969

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills