Modular bubbler

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Modular bubbler

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Mon May 07, 2012 11:21 am

another ripper design Mac. Looks awesome and sounds like they are getting even easier to drive... :clap:
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Postby Cane Toad » Mon May 07, 2012 11:50 am

Your dead right there BGT,doing a neutral run ATM on Mac's first modular creation,works like a fuckin ripper,and the needle valves make getting everything spot on so bloody easy :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MacStill » Mon May 07, 2012 7:53 pm

bradsgonetrekkin wrote:another ripper design Mac. Looks awesome and sounds like they are getting even easier to drive... :clap:

Thanks mate, they're a very labour intensive build.... hope I dont have to build too many more of em, I'll be steering all modular requests elsewhere in future.

Thanks for the positive comments :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby audistiller » Mon May 07, 2012 11:16 pm

McStill wrote: careful I dont get Cupcake to take you out the back mr audistiller :violence-stickwhack:

You don't really need comments to take a bow do you, but I wouldn't go that far. Anyone with some sense should see that's an awesome achievement. :clap:
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby Goldie » Wed May 09, 2012 10:16 am

Great job Mc, I remember seeing that boiler and shotgun at your place, left me thinking I need to start building. Now just wishing you showed me those 3" sight glasses. Good to hear you are holding onto it.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby emptyglass » Sat May 12, 2012 12:50 am

McStill wrote:3" peepers are the way to go too, fuck squinting in there with a torch trying to see what's going on :laughing-rolling:

Good idea Mac. They look real nice.
emptyglass

Postby Brendan » Thu May 24, 2012 5:29 pm

McStill wrote:Just a quick note:
Happy to build you one, but you'll be on a list with about 6 stills in front of you to be done.... a couple of months wait at least.

I got my hopes up and thought, I can wait a couple of months... :razz:

And then:

McStill wrote:Thanks mate, they're a very labour intensive build.... hope I dont have to build too many more of em, I'll be steering all modular requests to 5Star (www.5stardistilling.com.au) in future.

Awww :cry:

If the www.5stardistilling.com.au setup could come down a bit from $1500 shipped, i'd be seriously looking at it....I know I know, it's probably worth it...its just a lot! :think:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Modular bubbler

Postby Sam. » Thu May 24, 2012 6:07 pm

Have you seen how much a home brew shop wants for a still?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Thu May 24, 2012 7:25 pm

Brendan wrote:
McStill wrote:Just a quick note:
Happy to build you one, but you'll be on a list with about 6 stills in front of you to be done.... a couple of months wait at least.

I got my hopes up and thought, I can wait a couple of months... :razz:

And then:

McStill wrote:Thanks mate, they're a very labour intensive build.... hope I dont have to build too many more of em, I'll be steering all modular requests to 5Star (www.5stardistilling.com.au) in future.

Awww :cry:

If the www.5stardistilling.com.au setup could come down a bit from $1500 shipped, i'd be seriously looking at it....I know I know, it's probably worth it...its just a lot! :think:

OK I'll build you one for $1499 then, nah couldnt do that as the last bloke paid more than that ;-)

If you dont want to spend $1500 on a modular bubbler dont bother asking me to do it, I dont spend sundays working as a charity :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Brendan » Thu May 24, 2012 8:09 pm

I see...I didn't realise it worked out to be that much as I haven't looked into making my own bubbler yet...

Well then, maybe www.5stardistilling.com.au will get some business in the near future :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

Postby R-sole » Sat May 26, 2012 4:53 am

Custom stills are exe mate. Copper is worth a fortune. As said above if you compare what you get from some of the master builders on here to what you get from a homebrew shop it's not even a close competition.

Fact is that you are buying something that will last several generations, the price of the copper pipe alone will scare you without even pricing large copper fittings :shock:

The base costs are so high, i doubt these guys are charging anywhere near what their time is worth to do it. It's only subsidised for the customers cause it's something they love.

YouJustGetLovePunkin
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Kimbo » Sat May 26, 2012 12:20 pm

As 5Star said,
Though i've never built one, i recon there would be in excess of 30 Hrs labour to build one of those fuckers ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Brendan » Sat May 26, 2012 4:12 pm

I hear what you're saying on pipe and fittings 5Star...

I built my 3" pot still and VM reflux still, which cost about $1200 in parts...didn't stop me asking about the bubblers though...figured that it was just me paying retail prices at Reece plumbing (ie. 80 odd dollars for a 3" 180 bend)...

So yeah I do understand and would happily pay in that price range...
Brendan

Postby MacStill » Mon May 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Posty came today :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Put my new SGK's on, thank you 5Star they're awesome

P5282046.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Brendan » Mon May 28, 2012 9:04 pm

Holy s#!t, would ya look at the size of that product condenser! :o

Sight glasses look wicked! :clap:
Brendan

Postby SBB » Mon May 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Ya cant call something that looks like that a flute :laughing-rolling: ........fuck im not sure what it looks like.......awesome springs to mind
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby TJM » Mon May 28, 2012 11:04 pm

wow that is sweet, how good are the 3 '' windows. do those new sightglasses use the triclamp flange or did u modify it?
TJM

Postby MacStill » Mon May 28, 2012 11:05 pm

Fits a tri clamp perfectly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby audistiller » Tue May 29, 2012 4:31 am

I'm going to have to drop in one weekend before I head back North, I have to check out all your gear before I head home or I will probably kick myself. I'm guessing it will make me pull my finger out and try to acquire the bits to make one sooner rather than later.
audistiller

Postby audistiller » Tue May 29, 2012 5:02 am

Now that I think about it Mac, would you have the time in the not too distant future to knock me up a sexy looking parrot, or are you even too busy to build one of those..?
audistiller

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills