Glass vs Copper vs Stainless

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Glass vs Copper vs Stainless

Postby Monkey Handler » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:40 pm

Hi all,

Been dredging through bits of info here and there for a while, and while I get all the principals behind the materials, I was wondering if there were any distinct advantages to one material over the other (obviously will have copper in the vapour path in the way of bubble plates, which I'm guessing is plenty sufficient for it's purpose)?
Reason why I ask, if/when I eventually go down the path of upgrading to a bubbler, I'd want to be confident I'm making the best choice (so does everyone I guess).
Personally, I'm leaning towards a modular glasser. I think it's pretty co being able to see what's going on, and I've also read that they're better insulated and require less energy input to run over copper and stainless (if anyone can confirm?).
Other than fragility, and maybe an all copper setup looking nice as well, would there be any reason not to go for a glasser? I also understand stainless is easier to clean and maintain?

Also, while on the topic, would it be a waste of time/money going for all copper from the column onwards(i.e copper RC right down to copper PC)? Or is it mainly a case of price and aesthetics only from that part of the still onwards? As I've also read somewhere that copper makes near bugger all difference in sulfite removal if the temperature isn't there (i.e in the vapour path, not in liquid path).

Thanks in advance,
Phil.
Monkey Handler

equipment: T500 copper reflux. 2" Pelican Pot, 4" 5 plate glasser, 500mm packed section with all copper goodies.
30L and 58L keg boiler

Re: Glass vs Copper vs Stainless

Postby bluc » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:48 pm

Copper removes sulphides/sulphates rotten egg taste smell. A copper still needs nothing but if you have a glass or stainless still add a section with some copper mesh. Will act like a catalytic converter. Will get rid of the off smell/taste Easy peasy
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:36 pm

Your correct in saying glass sections require less power to run when compared to a stainless or copper rig if the same setup.
That’s my experience
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:09 pm

When I made my 4" copper bubbler silly me had the 3"site glass sections pointing down so it pooled. Over time some green shit appeared but with every run it clears up :handgestures-thumbupleft: Copper is just so easy to work with and honestly it is a virus never to be cured :scared-eek: Now I do have to say the enjoyment of building a copper bubbler has stood me the test of time when making a top shelf drop. But make sure when you make it make it modular so one can setup a pot still for stripping.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby B-Man » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:41 pm

I have a glass bubbler with everything else copper.
only because I can shape the copper... Cant do it with stainless.
if you want it to look shiny on the outside clean it up then use some Wattyl Clear Lacquer spray...
I like the look of aged copper so even though I purchase the stuff I have never used it.
I don't clean my still... anything inside gets a good clean when I reflux my fores... I have noticed they smell and taste like rum if I have done a rum run beforehand but that cleans up quickly so figured by the time fores are done its good to go.

Honestly i think anything you choose will be fine. As long as you have a little bit of copper in the vapour path you will be fine...
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby Monkey Handler » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:34 am

RuddyCrazy wrote:When I made my 4" copper bubbler silly me had the 3"site glass sections pointing down so it pooled. Over time some green shit appeared but with every run it clears up :handgestures-thumbupleft: Copper is just so easy to work with and honestly it is a virus never to be cured :scared-eek: Now I do have to say the enjoyment of building a copper bubbler has stood me the test of time when making a top shelf drop. But make sure when you make it make it modular so one can setup a pot still for stripping.

Cheers Bryan

One day I will build a few bigger creatures, as I can get any size and length copper as well as fittings for next to nothing pretty much when I want. Just working between mid 50 up to mid 90 hours a week is the issue. So when time cones, will just buy one for now I think.
Someone on here made a pretty cool looking one with a single large bubble cap and a large ish downcomer per plate, think it was a 4 or 6inch. May be something to look at eventually.
Monkey Handler

equipment: T500 copper reflux. 2" Pelican Pot, 4" 5 plate glasser, 500mm packed section with all copper goodies.
30L and 58L keg boiler

Postby Monkey Handler » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:34 am

B-Man wrote:I have a glass bubbler with everything else copper.
if you want it to look shiny on the outside clean it up then use some Wattyl Clear Lacquer spray...
I like the look of aged copper so even though I purchase the stuff I have never used it.
I don't clean my still... anything inside gets a good clean when I reflux my fores... I have noticed they smell and taste like rum if I have done a rum run beforehand but that cleans up quickly so figured by the time fores are done its good to go.

Honestly i think anything you choose will be fine. As long as you have a little bit of copper in the vapour path you will be fine...

Dare say you've probably talked me into going a copper glasser :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Monkey Handler

30L and 58L keg boiler

Postby 2deadly.308 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:59 pm

Monkey Handler wrote:
B-Man wrote:I have a glass bubbler with everything else copper.

Dare say you've probably talked me into going a copper glasser :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What did you end up going with mate?
Happy with glass bubbler??
2deadly.308

equipment: .

50L keg boiler, 4800W

2" Potty

2" reflux

4" potty

4" 6 plate glass bubbler + 500mm packed section

Positive Mental Attitude

No friends

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:11 pm

Monkey hasn’t been here since July so don’t hold your breath for an answer :crying-blue:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Plated Column Stills