4" plated still problem

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: 4" plated still problem

Postby B-Man » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:43 pm

akkanomore wrote:
Well I had a look today and the power point that i had the extension lead in was a 20amp power point. The circuit board has two breakers a 10amp and a 20amp. There is a double power point that I was running from that is 20amp ( I do have a caravan and know what a 20amp power point is) the other breaker is 10amp and runs 3 double power points. The shed I have the still in is running off it's own 10amp breaker at the house and a double power point in the shed.

I just cant see how you are welding plugs to power points I ran a 0.75mm2 lead about 4m long as a temp lead (until I got my others made up) and had no issues apart from a little warm.
Once i built my controller I got an adapter made from c19/20 to the std plug for the T500 and the standard plug side gets a little warm but nothing has ever been hot.

sounds like one of your elements isn't working but then if you had both connected to a double adapter and it tripped the circuit it sounds like it is.

ok so no sub board at the shed then. that's makes it a bit harder to add 2 power points in the shed.

First off I would
1. Test both elements to make sure they work (it only takes a few seconds to blow an element if its not submerged in liquid.)
2. get 2x 2.5mm2 leads made up with 10amp plugs on them to basically right length. (one for the house power point.)
3. Hook them up.
4. let us know how it goes.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby chipboy » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:20 am

Dirty plugs or ill fitting cause arcing which will do this, I have seen melted copper connections indicating over 1000 degrees. Does not need much either in fitting tolerances or cleanliness or even oxidisation with 10Amps.
Last edited by chipboy on Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Postby lest1 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:17 pm

he could have only 220v getting to the still or even less it depends

in an old house with small mains its possible especially in a rural area with a overloaded and poorly maintained network

it depends on supply voltage distance from the house to the power lines , distance and cabling to the shed , other draw in the house

blaming the still for that or the company that supplied it isn't right or what is causing the issue

you buy a mustang and it doesnt work well on 91 cause your camry did doesnt make it the mustangs fault
lest1
Site Donor

equipment: 4" 4 plate 50L 3kw
220l fermenter

Postby The Stig » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:24 am

Seems all is sorted.
Big thanks to iOnaBender for dropping in on his way past while working to check things out.
This is why i built this forum back in 2010.
Such a great community.
Thanks
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:47 am

Fantastic work Iona
It is brilliant to get someone who has been through it before to cast their eye over things to help find any issues. Just as smart to reach out for help when things seem not to be resolved
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby akkanomore » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:04 am

Yep thanks a lot. Should be ok soon.
akkanomore

equipment: Mac 4" bubbler with 4 Plates
50L milk can

Postby iOnaBender » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:13 pm

Hi Guys,

The least I could do for an AD brother close to my area.

Just need to give akka’s power supply to brew shed an upgrade and we will be all sorted.

Happy stillin’

If you’re investing 2-3K in a 4” 4-5 plate still, an extra $500 to $1K is probably the ball park figure to get your cooling water and electrics sorted to run your new baby! If you’ve done it cheaper, good for you, if you’ve gone the full mile it is huge for the peace of mind.

Cheers
Last edited by iOnaBender on Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby Wellsy » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:21 pm

Nice work again Ionna.
I was lucky as my brew shed was a new shed and I use extra circuit from the house via a quality extension lead. Plus I had a 2000 litre rain water tank for cooling.
Next upgrade will be to three phase ( if possible ) power, and set the water like you have via permanent attachments like you have done mate.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby iOnaBender » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:08 pm

Hi AD,

Akka's initial teething problems with the 5SD Mac 4 should all be sorted by tomorrow, I'll let akka himself chime in on the outcome of the brew shed/new still issue resolution.

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby Wellsy » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:48 pm

Bender great work brother, my shed needs an upgrade to3 phase next time you are heading down here. I will give you all the beer you can drink ( after you finish of course ). Then I will fill you up with whiskey vodka or bourbon
Just let me know what I need to get delivered so you are not held up
Wellsy

Postby akkanomore » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:36 pm

iOnaBender wrote:Hi AD,

Akka's initial teething problems with the 5SD Mac 4 should all be sorted by tomorrow, I'll let akka himself chime in on the outcome of the brew shed/new still issue resolution.

Cheers

Thanks Bender for adding power points for the still and assisting with other information. I haven't done a run yet but eething problems should be sorted now.
akkanomore

equipment: Mac 4" bubbler with 4 Plates
50L milk can

Postby iOnaBender » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:01 pm

Akka,

No problem at all, happy to help out, we've all had the training wheels on at some stage. You're a scholar and a gentleman when your panties aren't in a twist! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Sorry mate I couldn't help myself :D

Your musical talents are sublime, keep up the song writing and hope to see you in the local pub one day soon ^:)^ :clap: :clap:
Failing that a camping trip may be in order, we'll loosen up those fingers with some self made craft beer, gin, AG bourbon and DV! :music-deathmetal:

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills