4" option...advice welcome

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

4" option...advice welcome

Postby bt1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:31 pm

Hello all,

I'm thinking currently the next build will be 4" hybrid pot with either a quad coil or deph at the top pre elbow for refluxing.

But thought I'd canvas options from plate col users. Thinking of a perf plate type...bubblers don't appeal i just want good plain copper in vapour path.

So the questions:

Do you realistically beleieve there's a notable product quality issue gain to be had with a perf plate ? For comparo's I'm on a hybrid pot that pushes 92 down to 80abv and well suited to single runs but maybe not so for cleaner lighter styles.

What's the avg or any known output rate on typical spirit runs per hour for a 4" basic design

What's the avg or any known output rate on typical stripping run per hour for a 4" basic design

What true value do sight glasses impart..do they change your process/ running method or impact on product quality? i.e. does take off etc become a visual process.

Can the plate tree rod and retaining nuts be sourced in copper

How tight/good is the plate seal to column wall...is much lost down walls of column?

happy to here from experienced users I'm really at the cross roads of staying with a successfull design...hybrid or if there's a significant product quality reason having a crack at a perf plate build.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: 4" option...advice welcome

Postby Kimbo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi BT1,
I'm by no means an expert on this subject, but I will offer my :twocents-mytwocents:
bt1 wrote:Hello all,

I'm thinking currently the next build will be 4" hybrid pot with either a quad coil or deph at the top pre elbow for refluxing.

But thought I'd canvas options from plate col users. Thinking of a perf plate type...bubblers don't appeal i just want good plain copper in vapour path.

So the questions:

Do you realistically beleieve there's a notable product quality issue gain to be had with a perf plate ? For comparo's I'm on a hybrid pot that pushes 92 down to 80abv and well suited to single runs but maybe not so for cleaner lighter styles.Yes, I usually run mine around 90 to 92ABV. It's very clean and great for lighter styles

What's the avg or any known output rate on typical spirit runs per hour for a 4" basic designAround 2.5l/h

What's the avg or any known output rate on typical stripping run per hour for a 4" basic designI've never done a stripping run other than cranking up the heat at the end of a run to push the tails out, and it fairly pisses

What true value do sight glasses impart.do they change your process/ running method or impact on product quality? i.e. does take off etc become a visual process.For me, it is quite visual, ( i like to watch the bubbles) and see whats going on. i can see the plates loading up and constantly watch the levels ( and some wank factor)

Can the plate tree rod and retaining nuts be sourced in copperProbably, but an easier solution would be to use staino and just sleeve it with copper tube

How tight/good is the plate seal to column wall...is much lost down walls of column?

happy to here from experienced users I'm really at the cross roads of staying with a successfull design...hybrid or if there's a significant product quality reason having a crack at a perf plate build.

cheers
bt1
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Do you realistically beleieve there's a notable product quality issue gain to be had with a perf plate ? For comparo's I'm on a hybrid pot that pushes 92 down to 80abv and well suited to single runs but maybe not so for cleaner lighter styles.

Yes there's a huge difference IMHO, the whole hearts run comes out between 92 & 89% very crisp clean spirit with bold flavor.... through 4 plates.

What's the avg or any known output rate on typical spirit runs per hour for a 4" basic design

Anywhere from 2.5 to 4 LP/H depending how you run it.

What's the avg or any known output rate on typical stripping run per hour for a 4" basic design

What's a stripping run? :laughing-rolling:

What true value do sight glasses impart..do they change your process/ running method or impact on product quality? i.e. does take off etc become a visual process.

In all seriousness you do not need sight glasses, just like any still without them it's just a matter of learning it's habits and running it accordingly with a parrot, even a thermo is not really needed on one of these.

Can the plate tree rod and retaining nuts be sourced in copper

You could use a bit of 3/8 or 1/4 tube up the center of your plate tree & solder them in place.

that's up to you and how tight your plate tree fits, a little loss down the column walls isn't such a bad thing.... after all its refluxing

HTH :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby emptyglass » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 pm

If you want to increase your take off rate, you need to get fat. Fat (diameter) runs quicker. You know that or you wouldn't be thinking of an upgrade. Then if you were going to go to all the cost and efoort of a 4" column, with a hybrid design, you may as well jam some plates in there. They do clean it up nicley. I have never run mine without the plates, as I have enjoyed the really clean fresh hooch one of these things make. And you don't "need" to strip. Bubblers make better gear than double distilled, or strip/spirit run in a pot.
Just symantics, but to me a bubbler has perf plates, the other style is bubble cap.
I never had much luck pushing a plated column for rate. ABV, now thats different. A slow run and I've pulled 95% on a whole run from wash.

Sightglasses are not required on a proven design. But if you are learning to drive one, the are more than eye candy. And like Kimbo said, they're good to watch.
Just use stainless nuts. Stainless isn't bad, its just not as cood as copper, but copper nuts won't gain you much.
Plate to column fit has to be good. A bit of tolerance with perforated plates, but bubblecaps must be near on perfect. You can fit "weirs" to hold the fluid, but they must fit good to stop vapor bypass.

Go on man, have a crack at the perf plate. I don't think you'll look back. Once you crack the sweet spot with one, its feet up, kick back and love life 8-)
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:52 pm

WineGlass wrote:Just symantics, but to me a bubbler has perf plates, the other style is bubble cap.

interested to know how you came to that conclusion mate, to me they're just a perf plate bubbler or a bubble cap bubbler 8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby emptyglass » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:15 pm

McStill wrote:
WineGlass wrote:Just symantics, but to me a bubbler has perf plates, the other style is bubble cap.

interested to know how you came to that conclusion mate, to me they're just a perf plate bubbler or a bubble cap bubbler 8-}

Now that you put it that way, I'd like to know how I came to that conculsion too. Fucnoz. I guess around here if I dont hear bubble cap, I guess they mean perforated plate bubbler. And bubble cap plates seem to have little bubbles that stay low, perf plates will bubble up well into window veiw.
I also know them as flutes.
emptyglass

Postby bt1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:28 am

Thanks all

much to consider

bt1
bt1

Postby Modernity » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Mc Still,

If you were to only have one sight glass would the bottom plate be the best place?

Cheers
EDIT: consider this an open question
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Postby bt1 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:49 am

hello all,

Convinced the perf plate is the go so onwards!

Excuse newb questions but it's a whole new design for me...

What's the typical plate spacing on a 4" column i.e. in a 1 mt col allowing for joins and initial raised first plate (from picies I've seen) how many plates would you expect to have?

Seems 3/4" down comers are prefered to 1/2"

How do you guys cut the site glass holes...hole saws?

So thinking 4 -5 plates deph at top tri clamp joined, into a 4" 90 elbow , 4' sleeve then think about condenser

Seems shotgun condensers are the go is this a must have due to higher vapour/heat outputs?

any other tips...like how one fits the plate tree/ how tight tricky?

bt1
bt1

Postby emptyglass » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Use a holesaw for the sightglass holes. Attach ferrule first, then make hole.

You don't need a 4" elbow, and after you price it, you wont want to. 2" more than enough.

Shotgun condensers are easy to make, don't cost heaps and are a pretty efficient design.

Go the pref plates!! Onwards and upwards!
emptyglass

Return to Plated Column Stills